The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:41 AM

Corporal

eddieballgame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - US Presidential Candiates Arrested!

I am not sure why I am responding to some of this dribble, yes I am, anger. The US of A is a geat nation liberating more people through out this world than all the other nations combined. Be very careful what some of you seemingly ill informed posters are wishing for. Pick a BETTER country. Remember, friends don't let friends vote democratic.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

The US has it's faults. This thread is about one of them.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:50 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Please be more respectful of other people's viewpoints in the future. Just because they do not agree with your politics does not mean that what they say is "dribble."
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 10:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
eddieballgame said:
I am not sure why I am responding to some of this dribble, yes I am, anger. The US of A is a geat nation liberating more people through out this world than all the other nations combined.
Which was also the claim of England, and Russia, and even Germany in its heyday. Of course, it depends on your concept of liberation. Now people are trying to liberate countries from the US. Crossing another nations borders to liberate them can be a dangerous concept if not done carefully.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 23rd, 2004, 11:19 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

Okay first off I'm a boy from the USA so to the God Damn the USA line I have a big UP YOURS!!! from the USA jerkoff....especially because if you weren't free your dumbass would be in jail for bashing your government.

NOW on to the Civil Disobedience bit there, face it Anti-War Protesters fall under civil disobedience because they are usually a royal pain in the *** that block streets and generally cause a headache wherever they go with all their "Sadam wasn't so bad" and "Bin Laden's a Nice Guy....REALLY" crap so don't even get me started on making it sound like the American Government is a FACIST party sort of deal.....especially because I DON'T LIKE THE GREEN PARY

BTW AMERICA IS NOT A FRIGGIN DEMOCRACY look up your history we are a Republic which means "LIMITED POWER TO THE PEOPLE!" you know why? Because unlike Athens where a voice for every man and a man for every voice we have a population of over 300 MILLION (and that's just the legal ones) so a true democracy where eveyone gets to do what they want would be anarchy.....and Civil Disobedience has to be shut down SOMEWHERE especially because those dumb greenparty and Libertarians WANTED TO BE ARRESTED and I'm sure we are only getting their "We are so martyrs!" side of this story.

Oh and under most state laws CROSSING A POLICE LINE IS ILLEGAL! no matter who you are and so they deserved to get their arses busted for that dumb move......so don't even make them sound like poor little angels who were jumped by the Government SS troopers (Stormtroopers were friggin soldiers ELITE GERMAN soldiers who stormed Trenches during WWI so please stop referring to every facist like police force as stormtroopers as they would be closer to the "Gaurd" branch of the SS and NOT even the Wauffin (Field corps) SS)

Anywhoo Gandalf my boy to your little quote

"Which was also the claim of England, and Russia, and even Germany in its heyday. Of course, it depends on your concept of liberation. Now people are trying to liberate countries from the US. Crossing another nations borders to liberate them can be a dangerous concept if not done carefully."

England was trying to "civilize" the world NOT liberate it, the countries they conquered they occupied and established as tax paying provinces (AND DON'T EVEN CLAIM THE US HAS PROVINCES OR I WILL BEAT YOU WITH A STICK ) and not simply trade partners.
Germany! fah they were trying to "liberate" their "Aryan brothers" not impoverished countries run by dictators who were responsible for OVER A MILLION DEATHS in the course of their reign many tens of thousands of which being at the hands of said dictators secret police force (and their sons who just decided to rape women for the hell of it).
Why the HECK does a country like the US trying to free these people get treated like it's doing something wrong, maybe those big bad European powers should show more concern for the world outside their borders as well and start HELPING rid the world of dictators for a change. WHY THE HECK does getting rid of a freakin dictator now a days become a BAD THING. think about a world with no dictators? Wouldn't that be great.....

And RUSSIA "liberating" their neighbors from rival empires was land grabbing that's all, they too occupied said nations and turned them into paying provinces with no independant government or anything of that sort.

Now moving onto your remark on those terrorist scum crossing the borders to "liberate" Iraq from the US LIBERATION IS NOT THEIR INTENT! they simply want to kill as man servants of "The Great Satan" as they can else wise they would actually try to defeat the army and not just kill women children and their own "Islamic brothers" without discression....that is not LIBERATION by ANY definition.....

Sorry for any spelling errors but I had a total of 3 hours of sleep Last night and political BS like this pisses me off when people don't bother trying to get a second viewpoint into the picture.

YES America has it's flaws but we are also the Strongest, and I have to say most FREE nation on earth and people need to learn to appreciate that freedom and that greatness and their heritage with respect and not try to make our government sound like a damned fascist state.

HELL we have MORE rights then our American ancestors I meam look at the "civil rights" of everyone during the Civil War era....sorry that wasn't that good as only the elites could afford to vote on anything.....anyway I'm too tired to say anything else....sorry for the excessive cussing but I DON'T LIKE MY COUNTRY being bashed....especially by people who don't friggin live here like you limeys in the group

Edited for unnecessary rudeness

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

Oh and this deserves a seperate post:

Democracy DOES NOT WORK for the long term even Republics have not Lasted and most of those throughout history have fallen do to dumbass citizens who pulled so much crap that they were eventually brought under an iron grip because they were seen as too stupid or anarchy ridden to rule themselves. not acusing anyone Here of this (cept Ed)
Either that or they have been conquered by a nation that is unified through force and pretty much shoots anti-war types and makes dissenters disapear.
The United States is the oldest surviving Republic and the most powerful nation in the world so I'm sorry but we must be doing something right....(not to mention that we get the HIGHEST friggin immigration rates of any country on earth) so for all you "US is evil" folks maybe you should think about your own government first......because I can say plenty of things that England has done crappy throughout their history, and Germany, and Russia, and France and EVERY DANG COUNTRY ON EARTH!.

Now I am saying that until hopefully someday something better then both the current "Democracies" (and that means ALL of THEM) and the current "Iron Grip" regimes comes along I WILL GO FOR the American "Democracy" any day....thank you.

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

Starhawk, I'll not comment, I'll just provide the info below...and ask you to read it with an open mind. Not my words.

(source linked at end)

Even if they don't like to say it out loud, lots of Democrats think that George Bush's supporters are a horde of ignoramuses. Now comes evidence that they're right! A remarkable new report, titled "The Separate Realities of Bush and Kerry Supporters," from PIPA, the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, suggests that rank and file Republicans are more benighted than even the most supercilious coastal elitist would imagine. (link mentioned:
http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pr..._21_04.html#1)

Analyzing data from a series of nationwide polls, the report finds that a majority of Bush supporters believe things about the world that are objectively untrue, while the majority of Kerry supporters dwell in the reality-based community. For example, Bush backers largely think that the president and his policies are popular internationally. Seventy-five percent believe that Iraq was providing "substantial" aid to al-Qaida, and 63 percent say clear evidence of this has been found. That, of course, would be news even to Donald Rumsfeld, who earlier this month told the Council on Foreign Relations, "To my knowledge, I have not seen any strong, hard evidence that links the two."

Though its language is dispassionate, the report lays responsibility for this epidemic of ignorance at the White House's door. "So why are Bush supporters clinging so tightly to these beliefs in the face of repeated disconfirmations?" it asks. "Apparently one key reason is that they continue to hear the Bush administration confirming these beliefs."

Indeed, it says, "an overwhelming 82% [of Bush supporters] perceive the Bush administration as saying that Iraq had WMD (63%) or a major WMD program (19%). Only 16% of Bush supporters perceive the administration as saying that Iraq had some limited activities, but not an active program (15%) or had nothing (1%). The pattern on al Qaeda is similar. Seventy-five percent of Bush supporters think the Bush administration is currently saying Iraq was providing substantial support to al Qaeda (56%) or even that it was directly involved in 9/11 (19%). Further, 55% of Bush supporters say it is their impression the Bush administration is currently saying the US has found clear evidence Saddam Hussein was working closely with al Qaeda (not saying clear evidence found: 37%)."

These people aren't going to be swayed by the argument that Bush has alienated America's allies and left the country isolated in the world, because they don't believe this to be the case. "Despite a steady flow of official statements, public demonstrations, and public opinion polls showing that the US war against Iraq is quite unpopular, only 31% of Bush supporters recognize that the majority of people in the world oppose the US having gone to war with Iraq," the study says. Bush supporters also think that world public opinion favors Bush's reelection. In a poll taken from Sept. 3-7, the study says, "57% of Bush supporters assumed that the majority of people in the world would prefer to see Bush reelected, 33% assumed that views are evenly divided and only 9% assumed that Kerry would be preferred."

In fact, a PIPA study released in early September found that a majority or plurality of people from 32 countries preferred Kerry to Bush. PIPA surveyed 34,330 people, ages 15 and above, from regions all over the world. A Pew poll released this spring similarly found that "large majorities in every country, except for the U.S., hold an unfavorable opinion of Bush."

Bush supporters are also mistaken about the president's own positions (a pattern of misapprehension that an earlier PIPA report also documented). "Majorities incorrectly assumed that Bush supports multilateral approaches to various international issues -- the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (69%), the treaty banning land mines (72%); 51% incorrectly assumed he favors US participation in the Kyoto treaty -- the principal international accord on global warming ... Only 13% of supporters are aware that he opposes labor and environmental standards in trade agreements -- 74% incorrectly believe that he favors including labor and environmental standards in agreements on trade. In all these cases, there is a recurring theme: majorities of Bush supporters favor these positions, and they infer that Bush favors them as well."

According to the report, this reality gap is something new in American life. "So why do Bush supporters show such a resistance to accepting dissonant information?" it asks. "While it is normal for people to show some resistance, the magnitude of the denial goes beyond the ordinary. Bush supporters have succeeded in suppressing awareness of the findings of a whole series of high-profile reports about prewar Iraq that have been blazoned across the headlines of newspapers and prompted extensive, high-profile and agonizing reflection. The fact that a large portion of Americans say they are unaware that the original reasons that the US took military action -- and for which Americans continue to die on a daily basis -- are not turning out to be valid, are probably not due to a simple failure to pay attention to the news."

The analysis says that the roots of this denial could lie in the trauma of 9/11 and people's desire to hold on to their image of Bush as a "capable protector." It offers no guidance, though, on how ordinary Republicans might be coaxed back to reality.

And while "The Separate Realities of Bush and Kerry Supporters" may be perversely satisfying to Democrats in its confirmation of blue-state prejudices, it carries a pretty disturbing question for all rational Americans: How can arguments based on fact prevail in a nation where so many people know so little?

Old October 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

And on your comment about people not criticizing their own country, let me take a moment to say:

[sarcasm]Hey, Canada has dedicated soldiers. That way, they can be brave and bold while their equipment falls apart around them.[/sarcasm]
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Starhawk said:
YES America has it's flaws but we are also the Strongest, and I have to say most FREE nation on earth and people need to learn to appreciate that freedom and that greatness and their heritage with respect and not try to make our government sound like a damned fascist state.
Sorry, but I'll disagree with you here. I live in Canada, and I think that as of now, we are more free than the US has been for quite some time. I am more free than you ever will be. At least the police here don't have the right to detain you without just cause indefinitely, like they do in the US. At least my government doesn't invade other countries, killing untold thousands of innocent people (along with the thousands of guilty). My country believes in peacekeeping, not war-mongering. Who's in Afghanistand with their troops, keeping the peace now that the US lost interest and went on to invade Iraq? Canada does.

Give me a break Starhawk. Your attitude seems to suggest that you think America and Americans are the best thing the world has ever produced! That you always were, and always will be the most powerful, most free and best thing ever! Do you also believe in Manifest Destiny, like many Americans seem to? That it is your "destiny" to rule the entire world? That you have right to do whatever you want, simply because there is no one else in the world who has the military might available to stop you? I'm sorry, but just because you're the most powerful, doesn't mean you're always right, like you seem to believe.

I mean no disrespect to you Starhawk, I simply do not understand when people have attitudes like yours. I don't mean to insult you or anything, but I can not sit here, reading this stuff, and not comment. I hope no one is offended by this, and I hope the meaning of my words makes it through the transition from my mind into print!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 23rd, 2004, 06:08 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Renegade: It's called Patriotism simply put. Not necerssarily a bad thing but not always a good thing.