.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 4th, 2006, 12:16 AM

Corporal

Zebion is on a distinguished road
Default Sea of thesis,and air breathing objects

Why not allow it to let ocean troops on land as well as land troops in water,do you fear the tritons and abeloths coming to play above the waves?

But seriously,I have not found anything that allows normal sea troops above the waves,or have I not found the right item?
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:35 AM

Corporal

Etaoin Shrdlu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sea of thesis, and air breathing objects

The real problem with aquatic units on the surface though, is...

No legs. How exactly do you propose that a triton, shark, etc. get around on land where it is uniquely designed not to be?
Seriously, though, the Amulet of the Fish (Cons 4, A1W1, misc slot) gives surface access to ordinarily-aquatic commanders, but conventional troops are out of luck.
And the spell allowing land units into the sea is rightly called Thetis' Blessing (Ench 9, W5, 50W to cast). Theoretically, it should be blocked by a counter-cast of Sea of Ice (Alt 7, W6, 80) the same way Second Sun and Utterdark ought to negate each other. (Level and costs from D2, so may have been changed in the new edition)
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:05 AM

Corporal

Quote:
No legs. How exactly do you propose that a triton, shark, etc. get around on land where it is uniquely designed not to be?
Seriously, though, the Amulet of the Fish (Cons 4, A1W1, misc slot) gives surface access to ordinarily-aquatic commanders, but conventional troops are out of luck.

To your first answer,how do wave lords and the such walk on with amulet of the fish as well?

But I wish there was a way for the convential units to come up onto land,those little spawns of the poly mothers are just sitting around the oceans bottemfeeding while the merman fight

I do understand the reasoning why there was no item for them however,since there has never been any nations before Dom 3 that had aquatic units in nationals before,with the exception of two units (Crap hybrid and crab riders) But now theres sacreds,as well as other normal units restricted to purely water.
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:49 PM

Corporal

Etaoin Shrdlu is on a distinguished road

To your first point: The AotF "liquefies" the air around the holder. (imagines a "cloud" of water surrounding a suitable commander. Holds that thought, as it might affect things later.)
Can't help on the others, but since tritons no longer "fly" underwater, that makes them so ultra-sucky you wouldn't believe...
(little more thinking)
Although I could imagine that a spell like what you propose may have some reason, make it a ATL-OCE-RYH national ritual (like Soul Gate (ERM) or Carrion Woods (PAN) if I understand those new mechanics correctly, likely I don't) they could put in the globals screen, meaning only one could have it at a time! Say, high Ench, W6+, 100W to cast, valid until dispelled or death of caster? All we need now is a name for it.
Alternatively, as an item, to be a counterweight to the Pills/Manual of Water Breathing and Barrel of Air. Downside: the affected units would have to stay within range of the holding commander. (see above) Second downside: what happens when an enemy (non-amphib) unit gets within range (for something the effect of the Barrel that's a 25-square sector) and is now surrounded by a "walking" wall of water? You see the problem (and I just thought of it while I was typing this!) Implemented badly, this could be hideously overpowered.
Old November 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Alternatively, as an item, to be a counterweight to the Pills/Manual of Water Breathing and Barrel of Air. Downside: the affected units would have to stay within range of the holding commander. (see above) Second downside: what happens when an enemy (non-amphib) unit gets within range (for something the effect of the Barrel that's a 25-square sector) and is now surrounded by a "walking" wall of water? You see the problem (and I just thought of it while I was typing this!) Implemented badly, this could be hideously overpowered.
Why couldn't this just be the same as pills of air breathing and barrel of air? They don't cause ocean breathers to sufficate underwaater