This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 22nd, 2005, 12:46 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RTH has filled all slots; discuss the game her

I too have avoided combat where possible, and continue to build more and more and more....though I'm probably only 10% the size of the rest of you guys. Besides fending off some attacks by Chairman Mao, I haven't had any fighting. I obliterated about 250 of his ships in one battle, and lots only 25 of mine I guess I must be doing something right!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:16 PM

Sergeant

Karibu is on a distinguished road

The great statues of Karibu are nearly built. They include planets dragged in line to impersonate my name, my looks, my horns and - of course - my humble personality. Great celebrations are about to begin and tickets are soon available. Only requirement for access is the citizenship of Errtu Clan. Everybody are welcome! & [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Martini.gif[/img] available! Also good [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/MusicalNote.gif[/img]!
Old March 30th, 2005, 11:37 AM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

Has there been any progress in finding an alternate PBW script so that the turns can auto-run? As it stands, the game is running sooooo sloooowly.
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

I PM'ed Ruatha and he said he was going to look for the script on his computer over the weekend but I still have not heard anything from him.

The only script of his is older and does not automate the turns so it would be of no benifit to switch to that.

I will run the turn tomorrow while I am at lunch if I cannot get to it this evening.
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

One question: why is this game called "Return to Hell"? What was the (original) backstory?

Will there come a gamestory thread on this?
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM

General

Ragnarok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Strategia_In_Ultima said:
One question: why is this game called "Return to Hell"? What was the (original) backstory?

Will there come a gamestory thread on this?
The original game was also called Return to Hell. One day, along time ago, I decided I wanted to create a PBW game that was different than most. So I thought about it some and came up with the idea of making the game full tech, 5K racial points, max everything else. Each player would start in their own 'cluster' of systems that was not connected to any of the other clusters where the other players resided.

There were not many rules to follow except that you could not 'turtle' in your cluster. You had to leave at least one system available for someone to warp in with a warp opener to attack or make peace. The game got so big eventually due to players staying in their clusters as long as they could that PBW could no longer run it.

This game has now reached that point but we are determained to continue on.

I created RTH2 because I missed the first game and wanted to try it again. Here is the back story I created for RTH2 to tie it in with the first one:

Millennia ago your race was once the center of the galaxy. You spent decades building your empire within the privacy of your own cluster of star systems that the Ancient Ones had placed you in. The Ancient Ones had left great texts that spoke of other races in the universe that were doing just as you were; building a great empire. These texts also spoke of a day when all races taking a great journey out of their clusters.

Your race had finally decided that this was the time period in which to embark on this quest of universal conquest. You designed and built great technology that enabled you to create artificial warp gates that would allow you to take this journey and link your clusters wither other clusters.

Little did you realize that these other races were ready for this day. They too had built massive empires within their clusters. Many races made first contact and many wars had broken loose. There were few treaties made during this time, no one wanted to become unprepared for the inevitable.

For decades wars raged on until one day two prominent races stood out above all others. They had grown to such a point that they could not be stopped. Over the next few centuries they nearly exterminated the other races that once ruled in their respective clusters.

Once it reached this point the Ancient Ones decided it was time to intervene. They stopped the wars in time to spare a few of many of the races. Some of the races once known, however, were destroyed and would never rise again. The Ancient Ones decided it was time to start again, this time to see if peace would be possible.

They restored the universe to what it once was before the wars broke out. Despite the best efforts by the two races that dominated the universe at this time the Ancient Ones overcame them and plundered much of their empires. Never did these think their empires could fall so quickly.

The Ancient Ones returned you to another cluster and limited you to just a handful of planets. You kept much of your technological data but lost much more. In the case of the few empires that lost everything the Ancient Ones brought in other races from different universes' to replace these ones. They knew that one day the universe would return to its deplorable state of war and conquest… yes, they knew one day it would Return to Hell!
They were armed. With guns, said Omari.
Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?
The dreaded derelict dwelling two ton devil bunny!
Every ship can be a minesweeper... Once
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:56 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

this should really be rth3

but i think ragnarok blocked that out

Has it really been 3 years

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:49 PM

First Lieutenant

Spoo is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else noticed that the combat replays no longer work (is it just me)?
which, if I'm not mistaken, is equivilent to roughly a 50 megaton nuclear bomb.
Fear the squirrel.
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:28 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

why would you do it... man that would take hours... imagine hitting watch every ship move ...

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:37 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Spoo said:
Has anyone else noticed that the combat replays no longer work (is it just me)?
That's odd...in another game a player told me they could not view replays anymore. And this was not a large game by any means. I wonder if something's going a little wonky over at PBW.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )