Old March 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road
Default Re: (Shocking) News!!!!!

Quote:
Thermodyne said:
Quote:
atomannj said:
Hey have any of you ever heard of Galactic Civilizations? That is thru Strategy First as well and it was a great CIV3 in space game. I'm not worried. I can't wait for SE:V. Just make sure that what ever you do you do not cheese out like MMO3.
Ya, I heard of it, even bought a copy. I was not impressed! I still have an account, and IMHO the game sucked. But then my opinion could be biased because of the Space Empires series.

Personally, I think that their forum system was a PITA. And I doubt that they are in any way prepared for the kind of fan support that Space Empires will bring with it. I think we will be in for quite an adjustment.
You're right. GalCiv SUX big time. I've never even visited the forums or even bought the full game, just played the demo..... lasted lass than ~30 minutes on my HD. A record low. It was just too fricking unclear. Research was weird, space travel didn't feel right, systems weren't used well, and that's about all I can remember from the single game I started (but never finished) before deinstalling the program.
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
StrategiaInUltima said:
Quote:
Thermodyne said:
Quote:
atomannj said:
Hey have any of you ever heard of Galactic Civilizations? That is thru Strategy First as well and it was a great CIV3 in space game. I'm not worried. I can't wait for SE:V. Just make sure that what ever you do you do not cheese out like MMO3.
Ya, I heard of it, even bought a copy. I was not impressed! I still have an account, and IMHO the game sucked. But then my opinion could be biased because of the Space Empires series.

Personally, I think that their forum system was a PITA. And I doubt that they are in any way prepared for the kind of fan support that Space Empires will bring with it. I think we will be in for quite an adjustment.
You're right. GalCiv SUX big time. I've never even visited the forums or even bought the full game, just played the demo..... lasted lass than ~30 minutes on my HD. A record low. It was just too fricking unclear. Research was weird, space travel didn't feel right, systems weren't used well, and that's about all I can remember from the single game I started (but never finished) before deinstalling the program.
As I recall, it was a cross between a first person shooter and a treasure hunt, with a tiny little bit of 4X thrown in just to confuse things. And lets not forget the stupid RP stuff. Not my kind of game at all.

Think about it
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

I never even got AROUND to combat..... played only 10 or 20 short turns or so before quitting and deinstalling.
Old March 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Private

Psyringe is on a distinguished road

Wow, this discussion finally got me out of lurking after 2 years. Let me contribute some facts that I think are still missing.

About Stratey First: As has already been said, they are controlled by the bankruptcy courts, however they have been bought by Silverstar Holdings recently and thus have a chance to get back on their feet now. However, if Aaron's decision was based on GalCiv's success (as Tim Brooks has hinted), then he really should have asked GalCiv's developers about their experiences with SF first. Actually, SF had very little to do with GalCivs success, which was mostly fueled by the MoO3 disaster, a GalCiv flyer inside the MoO3 box, Brad Wardell's publicity, and word of mouth spreading fast. Many games stores would not have ordered GalCiv from Strat First if their customers, on returning MoO3, hadn't asked them for it (because they had heard about the game from other sources). So Strat First's contribution to GalCiv's success was basically to provide the game for a market that already wanted it. The chances that this special situation can be repeated for Space Empires V are very slim.

Also, Strategy First did *not* pay the developers of GalCiv any royalties. There are also many other developers around the world who still wait to see a single dollar of their royalties from Strat First. Personally, I would be very careful to get into the business with them - not only because they went bankrupt once (this can happen, sometimes even when you *did* everything right), but because of their attitude to their developers during this period. Some developers still complain that they have not been warned about the problems and that they have plainly been lied to by Strat First officials. I know that people can learn from their mistakes and I honestly don't know whether the same people are still involved in SF's management, but based on their previous record I'd really be careful.

That said, I think that Aaron really *does* have a chance to strike (or have struck) a good deal with Strat First. They must be rather desperately trying to rebuild their reputation among the customers (many of whom are disappointed by Strat First because of games which have not been properly patched or finished due to developers revoking their contracts after receiving no money from SF). Enlisting the developer of a successful, established 4x sci-fi strategy series might be just what SF needs now. This should give (have given) Aaron a lot of leverage in the discussions with them, and I hope he used that.

Let's hope for the best.

Also, as a response to the last posts above: I think there's really no need for bashing GalCiv here, as there's really next to no connection between GalCiv and Strat First despite the fact that Strat First distributed the game into retail (not via digital download, this was done by Stardock themselves) and refused to pay royalties. Also, I think that Space Empires and GalCiv are both very good examples of the 4x genre, and they complement each other nicely because they focus on different aspects. Personally, I'm glad we have both games.
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Private

Desert Fox is on a distinguished road

I think Aaron would be better off seeking out Stardock and its TotalGaming.net subscription service to distribute the game. Strategy First is not very stable at all. This company that publishes SEIV and other titles is not very good at all. Never sold in stores or downloadable makes it very costly for anyone to get it in other countries. A South Africa mate of mine has to pay 65.00 to get SEIV.

This bashing Galciv is silly, two entirely different games at least on how they look and play. I LOVE both games and I find any negative comments toward Galciv or the GREAT Company who produced it is damn right stupid. Both games are outstanding. Sharpnel Games is not a very good company at all as many of their games are not, well popular. No offense to this fine site..
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Desert Fox said:
I think Aaron would be better off seeking out Stardock and its TotalGaming.net subscription service to distribute the game. Strategy First is not very stable at all. This company that publishes SEIV and other titles is not very good at all. Never sold in stores or downloadable makes it very costly for anyone to get it in other countries. A South Africa mate of mine has to pay 65.00 to get SEIV.

This bashing Galciv is silly, two entirely different games at least on how they look and play. I LOVE both games and I find any negative comments toward Galciv or the GREAT Company who produced it is damn right stupid. Both games are outstanding. Sharpnel Games is not a very good company at all as many of their games are not, well popular. No offense to this fine site..
Well your entitled to your opinion, most of our games our multi award winning games in the industry and sell very well.

As far as the pricing issue, we did have some issues with pricing overseas when SE:IV first came out but those have long since been resolved. You can get it shipped in 3-7 days for 4.80 in shipping costs. We also have retail and mail order alternatives for many countries. In fact we have the largest non traditional retail distribution network of any online publisher.

Just wanted to set the record straight on that.
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

you just need to start selling the game in canadian dollars

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Corporal

Derek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Psyringe said:

Actually, SF had very little to do with GalCivs success, which was mostly fueled by the MoO3 disaster, a GalCiv flyer inside the MoO3 box, Brad Wardell's publicity, and word of mouth spreading fast. Many games stores would not have ordered GalCiv from Strat First if their customers, on returning MoO3, hadn't asked them for it (because they had heard about the game from other sources). So Strat First's contribution to GalCiv's success was basically to provide the game for a market that already wanted it. The chances that this special situation can be repeated for Space Empires V are very slim.
Well, we could always pay someone to develop a MoO4 which is even worse than MoO3 (not sure if that is really possible, making something worse than MoO3, that is...)

I'm still just hoping, as the Marine going to Iraq in June, that SE5 is released before then!

Dave
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Psyringe said:
Wow, this discussion finally got me out of lurking after 2 years.
Hello then.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thermodyne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Psyringe said:

Also, as a response to the last posts above: I think there's really no need for bashing GalCiv here, as there's really next to no connection between GalCiv and Strat First despite the fact that Strat First distributed the game into retail (not via digital download, this was done by Stardock themselves) and refused to pay royalties. Also, I think that Space Empires and GalCiv are both very good examples of the 4x genre, and they complement each other nicely because they focus on different aspects. Personally, I'm glad we have both games.
Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you would care to elaborate on you 1st post defense of GC? What you call bashing, I call a waste of my money.

Think about it