This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 5th, 2004, 01:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default TUTORIAL: Basic AI Design FAQ # 1

CNC and I pooled our resources and desided to come up with a few basic AI Design FAQ's for those who might be interested in such a thing.

This is not much, and we hope to add more as we learn more.

Please forgive the crudeness of the document, we all know I cannot spell worth a damn.

Feed back is always welcome.

Basic AI Design FAQ # 1
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:12 AM

Major

Aiken is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TUTORIAL: Basic AI Design FAQ # 1

You may find it interesting: this is an explanation of components installation sequence (_AI_DesignCreation.txt) from AI_DesignCreation CheatSheet by Atraikius:

"When Designing a vehicle, the AI appears to use the following sequence:

1. Verify that all 'Must Have' Abilities are available, and that they are capable of fitting in the current available Hull size.

2. Selects the Latest Hull design researched. At this time the AI also views the Majority Ability to determine if one of the special hull types is to be used.

3. The AI places the required Bridge, Life Support, Crew Quarters, and minimum engines. If the Design is using one of the special hull types the hull specific required components are also placed on the design.

4. The AI placed all 'Must Have' components.

5. The AI places the desired amount of Shields and Armor. Note: The AI may be forced to use Scattering and Emmissive armor by having it place no armor at this point, and then including the specific Ability in the Add. Abilities section.

6. The AI places the desired amount of Majority components, followed by the desired amount of secondary components. Note: The AI does NOT count any 'Must Have' components when placing the desired amount, and when placing weapons will always use the largest mount available.

7. The AI goes through the list of Additional Abilities in numerical order, checking each item and evaluating if there is enough room to place that component. The AI will continue to place the current component on the design until either the desired amount have been placed, or there is not enough room for an additional component. The AI then moves to the next Ability on the list and repeats the placement and evaluation process.

8. If space is still available once the AI has gone through the entire list, the AI will then place additional Majority Weapons (if attack or defense ship, or Base), there appears to be a limit on the number placed since the AI seems to stop after placeing 5-6 Majority Weapons on a design. If the design is not a combat ship, or it has reached its weapon limit, the AI will place additional shields/armor on the design until all remaining space is used."

Probably you have to ask his permission to use it in your FAQ. And another thing - it's about non-Gold AI files, but I believe that such basic thing hadn't changed alot.

[ March 05, 2004, 00:13: Message edited by: aiken ]
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thank You Aiken, can you post a link to where you got that info. I tried the modding tutorial site, but it is a dead link from SE.net

The info you posted is very helpful and I would like to include it if I could. I will have to ask permission first.
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:27 AM

Major

Aiken is on a distinguished road

AI_DesignCreation CheatSheet by Atraikius:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/newup...1040385338.zip
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Private

hicksz is on a distinguished road

Atrocities

I have to say thank you for doing this. Many like me have had trouble with modding the AI files do to lack of documentation. Some of the text can be cryptic.

I like what you are doing with explaining the AI_DesignCreation.txt file. Another thing that would be very helpful is to go through an example. Say I'm designing an attack ship and I want these components... That would help a lot in understanding the AI_DesignCreation.txt file too. Maybe Rollo can do this.

I would also discuss the override field for Weapon Target in Components.txt as that is cool feature.

For the Research.txt, I would mention the AI state of "Not Connected" as it's not discussed in the text file.

Thanks again for doing this. This is long overdue.

[ March 05, 2004, 03:49: Message edited by: hicksz ]
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:43 AM

Private

hicksz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrocities:
Thank You Aiken, can you post a link to where you got that info. I tried the modding tutorial site, but it is a dead link from SE.net

The info you posted is very helpful and I would like to include it if I could. I will have to ask permission first.
Atraikius has given permission to post his AI Designcreation Cheatsheet.

Quote:
Originally posted by hicksz:
Imperator Fyon,

I was able to get a hold of Atraikius and he said it was okay to put the AI_DesignCreation_CheatSheet on your website.

Plus he welcomes you to also add the "Generic AI Excel Spreadsheet" too. All he wants is and I Quote: "state that it was from me, and that I would like to know of any of the errors (with the Generic AI Excel Spreadsheet) so I can get them fixed (I know there are several that will come up when starting a new game, but haven't gotten around to fixing finding and fixing them yet)"

He said that he had started working on more of the AI files but had decided to include them into an excel sheet that will actually create a full set of basic AI files for you. He just hasn't had the time to clean up the bugs.

Here is your original link to the files for your convience Imperator Fyon. Thanks again for your help and support.

quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
These might be of some use:

AI Cheat Sheet

Generic AI Excel Spreadsheet

*sigh* where did all of these people go?

Old March 5th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I would also discuss the override field for Weapon Target in Components.txt as that is cool feature.
That would be well beyond the scope of an AI modding tutorial though.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The nice thing is that the file can be improved as many times as needed to make it more useable.

Thanks for the links guys, and I do hope those old farts come back to visist us some day.
Old March 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

That is a good suggestion for another FAQ. Thanks.
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

How To Add A New Race To A Mod. Tutorial.