The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 10th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Captain

raynor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Galatcic Civilizations (GalCiv)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy:
quote:
Originally posted by Wardad:
GalCiv should arrive at my door in a few days.
Any game play advice?
Start on a small or tiny map.
Starbases good.
In the first few turns set your research to 100%, and get to the Universal Translator (the yellow tech options), that will allow you to commiunicate with the civs you've encountered.
Rush buy a colony ship if you see a good planet, but don't lease unless you have to!

I'm kinda curious about this advice. When I play, I typically set my Military to 100% for the first several turns so that I can crank out Colony Ships as quickly as possible. Also, I would strongly recommend that you purchase your first two colony ships so that you will have THREE new colony ships built in 6-9 turns instead of just one. IIRC, each planet contributes at least 5 BC income which is exactly the amount of the 173 month Mitrosoft lease for a purchased colony ship.

At the beginning of the game, there is a mad land rush to grab every >= 15 quality planet in sight. There is also a rush to grab the galactic resources. But I wouldn't build a constructor until I had colony ships being sent to every planet in sight. Also, you can use Constructors to build starbases to extend the range of your colony ships.

I don't really see a pressing need to get Universal Translator until you have colonized every planet in sight. I think the most important techs to get are Industrial and then Medical and Basic Environmental. The Manufacturing Center is really helpful for your larger planets and perhaps all your planets with only 1 BC upkeep. The Basic Environmental gets you Soil Enhancement which improves the quality and thus your income on all your planets.

If you are just starting out, I would press Control-N until you get a starting sector with a second planet in your home system and a second star system with two >=15 PQ planets in it. I would then colonize the same planet in your home system and purchase colony ships from both planets that will on the next turn give you a total of four planets. IMHO, I think it is a good idea to put your spending at 100% military and build colony ships on all four of those planets and send them out trying to colonize everything you can.

The really nice benefit to having four planets in your home sector comes when you start building tons and tons of starbases in that home sector. Those planets are going to have the best production by virtue of a larger population, etc. When you start building multiple starbases, the production benefit will help all four planets.

[ April 10, 2003, 13:14: Message edited by: raynor ]
Old April 11th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Wardad is on a distinguished road

Raynor,

As I mess up in my first game, I have a better appreciation of your advice.

I did not crank out colony ships at first.
But... I found a war ship and protected three prize systems in one sector from intruding colony ships. So I am still in the game.

Keeping the Morale up is a real problem. I loaded some excess population into a colony ship and then got rid of them. The result??? Their former relatives are happier. Go figure..., I will likely keep on wining elections if I keep on doing this. But... It really cuts into the tax revenue.
Old April 12th, 2003, 05:03 AM

Captain

The developers over at StarDock are trying to provide regular updates to the game. Using the StarDock Central program, they are distributing updates every couple of days. Recently, they added a really useful "feature" that assists with trading.

Unfortunately, this "feature" also results in a crash to desktop every turn it is used. (Adjusting slider for money/influence trades.)

Also unfortunately, this "feature" that they added to the game is pretty much a necessity in order to compete with the supposedly non-cheating AI. (The human player must adjust the slider back and forth to find the optimal trade while the AI automatically knows exactly what to offer.)

Once again, I repeat my warning to those of you thinking about trying out Gal Civ. I would wait two or three months while the game continues to be beta-tested by all of us who purchased it.

Of course, I'm only saying that because the game has crashed 30 times in the Last hour. By tomorrow, they may already have a patch that will let me keep playing.
Old April 12th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Private

SlapBone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by raynor:

(The human player must adjust the slider back and forth to find the optimal trade while the AI automatically knows exactly what to offer.)

The AI doesn't automatically know what to offer me

The game does crash when you try to use the slider and the target civ has less than 100 but this problem has a workaround and the game is far from unstable (as you portray it).
Old April 12th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Any game can be unstable under conditions it was not tested in. Just because it is perfectly stable for one user does not mean it will be stable on any other computer. It might be, but you can't say that it will be based off of that.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old April 12th, 2003, 03:58 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by SlapBone:
The game does crash when you try to use the slider and the target civ has less than 100 but this problem has a workaround and the game is far from unstable (as you portray it).
If you do not use the workaround, then the game will crash every time you do a trade with a Civilization that has less than 100BC. If you do a trade every turn--which is apparently required when you play the game at higher levels of difficulty--then the game will crash every turn--unless you use the workaround.

At lower levels of difficulty, the AI probably isn't trading technology for money. As a result, you can easily win at lower difficulty levels without using this feature.

So, I guess you could say that at lower difficulty levels, the game is quite stable.

I just played a beginner game to try out tech trading. In a Sub-Normal game, I doubt I would be doing nearly as much tech trading. But in the Beginner game, it was becoming quite, quite tedious. Every turn, I would discover a new technology and go offer it for money to five major races and four minor ones. That was a heck of a lot of clicking. Don't even get me started on the amount of clicking you must do to send dozens of constructors around building and upgrading starbases every turn....
Old April 12th, 2003, 11:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Galciv - cute, but boring
Old April 13th, 2003, 01:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

Lemmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm kinda curious about this advice. When I play, I typically set my Military to 100% for the first several turns so that I can crank out Colony Ships as quickly as possible. Also, I would strongly recommend that you purchase your first two colony ships so that you will have THREE new colony ships built in 6-9 turns instead of just one.
Right, i forgot to mention this.
I put my Research to 100% because i buy my Colony ships. So i don't need the production.
However on larger maps where you'll need more then 2 or 3 colony ships, setting Military production higher is a good thing.

Quote:
I don't really see a pressing need to get Universal Translator until you have colonized every planet in sight.
If you do have a tech rush like i have, and are maybe forced to lease ships, then you can use the Universal Translator to sell your tech to other civs and have them pay for your colony ships.

[ April 13, 2003, 00:06: Message edited by: Lemmy ]
Old April 13th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I read that setting Military or Research, or Social to 100% is wasteful. There is a limit to how much you planet can spend, (about 60%???) after which any more is wasted.
Old April 14th, 2003, 06:36 AM

Private

Brad Wardell is on a distinguished road

Raynor,

Don't you think you're being a tad misleading.

Yes, 1.02.42 added a stack overflow problem with the trade screen that happens on *some* systems (I have yet to be able to reproduce it but we do have the crash logs).

But you don't seem to be acknowledging that this problem came because we added the dynamic AI yay/nay status to that dialog Last week based on user requests. Your Posts seem to imply that out of the box that the game is some sort of beta.

No one has to use 1.02.42. They could stick with 1.0 (the retail Version) or 1.01 (the bonus pak) where this probem doesn't occur.

And we should have it fixed by tomorrow afternoon (1.02.43).

Any user who downloads the weekly updates is more likely to run into some unforeseen problem than the user who waits for the stand alone patches that are released much less frequently but are more mature.