.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > ProSimCo > BCT, ATF, AATF and Battle Group Commander Series
Notices

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road
Default RT: Learning Curve

Ok, I just ordered the game, and am waiting for it to show on my doorstep. Now, what I want to know, is how much of a learning curve there is for this game. I don't have a lot of patience for learning games. I want to enjoy this game, but if it's too difficult or complicated, I'll probably set it aside and go back to games I already know. I haven't played ATF or any other games from ProSim, so I'm not sure what to expect.
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM

Private

Curious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Learning Curve

I just got RT from UPS today. After trying the tutorial I would have to say that RT gives new meaning to the term "learning curve". It gives me the feeling that I'm learning a new job as opposed to something that is enjoyable or entertaining. Maybe I just need to dig a little deeper. But, right now I would have to say that even some of the basic terminology (the use the term "hierarchy" instead of "unit" -- at least I think that's what it means -- I'm still trying to figure out exactly what a "hierarchy" actually is. I'm getting a strong urge to go back to Hearts of Iron -- or even give War in the Pacific a shot. I may even go back to a flight sim or even MS Train Simulator to try to regain my sanity (such as it is). Good Luck with RT when you get it.

CB
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:46 AM

Colonel

Thanks a lot. That really instills in me great confidence that I'm going to enjoy this game (can't you hear the sarcasm ). I'll give it my best shot, though, when I get the game. However, due to having a 3 year old boy around the house, I may not be able just to sit down and read the instructions fully.
Old September 21st, 2004, 06:30 PM

Brigadier General

Patrick Proctor is on a distinguished road

Gents,

I will do what I can to clear up the initial questions. Please feel free to contact me here if you have any other questions.

The word "hierarchy" is used, rather than "units" because you can control "Units" at many different levels in ATF.
  • Vehicles and Teams: These are the building blocks that make up platoons and companies ("hierarchies"). By controlling these, you are micro-managing the actions of the individual tanks and fire teams.
  • Platoons: Usually around 4 - 12 vehicles and/or teams. They can be given formations and simple missions, rather than just orders and SOPs (standard operating procedures).
  • Companies: A mixture of platoons and vehicles/teams. They also can be given formations and orders.

We use the term "hierarchies" to describe both "platoons and companies" because it is a little less verbose when you have to say it for the 1000th time The control of platoons and companies is identical, though companies, being more robust organizations, can execute much more complex missions.

The best advice I can give you is to not feel you have to understand the every facet game before you begin playing. The friendly AI is suprisingly intelligent and will do pretty sensible things. Just tell your platoons and companies ("hierarchies") where to go and what missions to execute. Everything else is really just customizing their behavior.
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM

Private

Curious is on a distinguished road

Patrick,

Thanks for the clarification. It gives me a glimmer of hope that I might eventually be able to figure out how this game works. It's probably not as hard to understand as I've unfortunately convinced myself after my first shot at the tutorial. Thanks again.

CB
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:38 PM

Corporal

Rich is on a distinguished road

I've had the game for a while but play only occasionally. One thing I like is you don't have to move or give orders to every unit on the map. You can move the platoon or company very easily. Once you remember to turn the triangle around LOL you should have no problem. Getting good and really understanding the strategy and tactics is what takes time.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:23 PM

Brigadier General

Incidentally, if anyone, after learning the game, has any ideas about how we might ease the learning curve, i.e. help tools, clarifications in the tutorial, or additions to the manual, please feel free to drop ME a line at:

pproctor@prosimco.com

Thanks for the great questions!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:11 AM

Colonel

Patrick,

I also wish to thank you for the clarification. Still haven't received my game yet, but I least have a glimmer of hope I can do something when I do put the game in the computer.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:51 PM

Major

Curt Pangracs is on a distinguished road

You'll find that we are very good at helping newcomers enjoy the game to its fullest extent, and that we are quite responsive to the needs of the player!

Good luck with RT!
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Brigadier General

I also strongly recommend that you check out the ATF/BCT forum at WarfareHQ. There are a ton of enthusiasts there that can help with questions...

http://www.war-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20