Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 12th, 2003, 02:55 AM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

Hiya Val! LTNS

Yeah, me did a Gold conVersion (basic only) back in January. Should be up in the race board here...

You want the 1.49 Version still? I guess best to post it here as e-mail has a 8 MB limit in file size.

Biggest gripe (as usual are the seemingly endless RCEs in 1.49...as soon as we crushed one another would raise its head...very frustrating to say the least. I re-did some of the engine stuff to solve the engine created ones (had to fiddle with both componets file and vehiclesize file)...also had a go at getting races with armors....

AS IF said, quite a discussion over weapons effects (rate of fire/distance/damage over range, etc). Also something of a discussion over whether or not the AI Ancients should be able to colonize. I'll say this...they are somewhat limted/ineffective if no coloization BUT if allowed to (thru allowing the research) then the Shadows are almost unstoppable and to a lesser degree the Vorlons are.

[ March 12, 2003, 01:04: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old March 12th, 2003, 03:08 AM

Major General

Val: Link to the B5 Gold I did in January:

First file is the zip for the two readme for the B5 MOD - Gold, second is the AI+Shipsets.

1: 1044154075.zip

2: 1044155514.zip
Old March 13th, 2003, 12:21 AM

Private

Jamorobo is on a distinguished road

Well thank the gods your back!

Anyway..whats gone on?

Well with the thought of you not comming back for good we were all thinking to what extent we would change the mod. This was all because several parts of the mod (this is most notible with weapons and their stats) are completely unintelegable to work out due to not knowing how you envisaged the working of the game.

This lead to people questioning whether we should scrap the weapons as they are as it's like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics without the rosetta stone. We had only just started this debate as u can see below with grumbler doing the first tests of long range-low Rof Vs short range-high Rof etc.

we all agreed that there were problems with the weapons as they are and that some races (notibly EA) have a huge selection of weapons as others don't.
This ALSO lead to questioning the usefullness of having so may weapons, some saying it might be better to just have race specific weapons or alternativly basic universal weapons for all lasers, plasma weps etc insted of different types of weapons for each race eg. EA having heavy lasers 1 and gaim having combat lasers 1 turns to both having generic laser 1. (something i'm against as the whole point of the b5 mod is that each race is totally different, otherwise it's just se4 with bab5 pics).

Pathfinder the absolute legend has been working hard at the ai. but has come up against problems with the engines as usual oh well.

the same debate for weapons has been going on with the ai as pathfinder wanted to know if the ai should go straight for there race specific weapons or work up with a few others on the way. And also which weapons to go for as with all the imbalances at the moment some weapons the ai are choosing are useless.

Thats all i can remember at the mo i think...

oh Pathfinder - did u fix the problem with the armour as didn't u give it the "hit first" trait by accident at one point?
Old March 13th, 2003, 02:22 AM

Major General

Jamorobo: Don't remember, except I had to give armour a "bogus" ability in order for it to not conflict with cargo bays...
Old March 13th, 2003, 02:40 AM

Sergeant

Talenn is on a distinguished road

pathfinder:

Are those Gold links a complete package? I mean, if I download those two files, install them over a fresh install of SE4Gold, will the mod be complete and playable?

The reason I ask is because I'm on a ridiculously slow dial-up connection and I dont want to download the wrong thing or something that isnt going to really work right, especially given the size of the files.

I've been following the B5mod for some time, but I was under the impression that the gold conVersion was more of a 'work in progress'. I've been waiting for the complete 'Real Deal' and if this is it, I guess I just missed any announcements of it.

Thanx a lot!

Talenn
Old March 13th, 2003, 03:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Val:
I think there is still a problem with the supply values of Ancient Reactors where the Small ones make more supplies per kT and per resource cost than the Medium and Large ones.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 13th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Major

Val is on a distinguished road

IF:
I do believe I have fixed the supply values for the ancient reactors, though I have to compare to PFs changes to the Comp file and see what I have to update from what he has masterfully done.

PF:
Do you recall specific changes you made? Which components and such? Ta help me check and make the changes in .34?

Maybe we can come up with some other equalizing agent for allowing the Ancients to prosper a bit more. Ideas?

JAM:
Heh, I think I'll take the Egyptian Hieroglyphics ref as a compliment

Actually, all the ROF and damage values are based off of the B5 Wars game. To figure out the ranges at which weapons could fire I used a 'base-to-hit' number and adjusted the max range out to whenever the 'to-hit' value dropped below a 25% chance. The damage was based off of some formulas...

I did wind up adding 'generic' weapons so all races could at least get something for researching laser, antimater, etc.

All PBW:

What has the PBW game been like so far?

All:

Has anyone tried the Intel?
Have there been any more shipsets?
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:03 AM

Major General

Talenn: The B5 Gold I did is based on the 1.49 Version available in January. It is really a very basic Gold Version, I would NOT call it finished.

Val: This page in the race style forum should give you a clue (just see my 3-4 Posts there with .zip files and explanations as to what the changes were): http://www.shrapnelgames.com/cgi-
bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=50;t=000001;p=3

I'll scour my files and see if I made a readme with change notes.

Timstone had started an Ipsha set but this semesters course work is hammering him so work stopped on that.

I have started a Yolu but only got as far as the destroyers...

[ March 13, 2003, 04:14: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Major

Val is on a distinguished road

Danka!

I do have a cleaned up Dilgar shipset from the ver .34 based on what you sent me and some redos.

Dilgar34.zip

Also have a mostly completed Torvalus for another Ancients race.

d/ling your stuff and will check out this weekend!

[ March 13, 2003, 04:35: Message edited by: Val ]
Old March 13th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
IF:
I do believe I have fixed the supply values for the ancient reactors, though I have to compare to PFs changes to the Comp file and see what I have to update from what he has masterfully done
It is not fixed in the Version of the mod the PBW game is using. Medium are 3x the space as Light, with only a little over 2x the supplies. 2 Light Reactors cost teh same as 1 Medium, and are 5 kT smaller. They only make 700 less supplies, which is not all that much, really. For 50% increased size, you only get 10% increased supply output.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.