This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Sergeant

Santiago is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE:V, I\'ll be honest

ps the demo's grown on me and SEV has lots of possibilities.
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Corporal

tmcc is on a distinguished road

I love the game so far, but that being said I have to agree with slick to some degree. There is something missing that keeps me from the "just one more turn" syndrome. I have been analyzing why I feel this way and I think I've identified a couple of things:

1) It feels tedious. No stacking, clicking and dragging components, multiple menus to get the data you need, etc. etc. At times I just have enough.

2) Compared to SEIV the turns process much more slowly.

I think between being tedious and slow it saps my energy. with SEIV I'll often look at the clock and say "oh crap it's 2:30 AM and I have an 8:00 AM meeting". That has not yet happened with SEV and I can say for sure that it did with the SEIV and SEIII demos.
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

I have to go with Slick & Possum here.

While I respect the interestes and opinions of those who are enthusiatic about SEV, it just doesn't "GRAB" me the same way the other version did. Too many things to work at, too many fixes needed, I don't want to have to mod a game to play it, just a lot of different things combine to suck the interest in out of me.

I know this is an unpopular opinion overall, but it's still how I feel.

On an additional note, I have to agree with Santiago about what Aaron should be doing.

Reclusive or not, if you release a product you need to stay alert and on top of your customers points of view and concerns, rather than just sticking to a few chosen opinions. This forum is a golden opportunity to do just that, and would be a treasure trove for improving what wrong with the game..

Old September 28th, 2006, 09:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Aaron does read all of the emails you send in...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Black_Knyght said:While I respect the interestes and opinions of those who are enthusiatic about SEV, it just doesn't "GRAB" me the same way the other version did...
Although you've been biased against SE:V from the onset - long before the demo became available.

Not that I care. If you like a game, you like it. If you don't then you don't - it doesn't matter much to debate about it. But if it's just a few issues you're having that's preventing you from having fun, share them and pass them on. It's likely you're not the only one feeling this way and lots of things can change right?
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Sergeant

Santiago is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Aaron does read all of the emails you send in...
What's a valid email address?
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:47 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

se5 at malfador dot com.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:56 AM

Private

marc420 is on a distinguished road

Played the Demo for awhile, then gave up. Game feels more like work. Like was said, just didn't grab me. Its a combination of things .. a UI that is very non-intuitive, always feel like I'm in the wrong place trying to do the wrong thing. But more than that. Maybe the fact that its mainly just SE IV's dataset, when I had long since moved on to playing mods in that game. Maybe its the bugs, all the things that just don't seem to work. Maybe its the 100 turn limit, and the thought that I'll be stopped from playing if the game ever does get interesting.

I'm long since sick of companies that release a game on a certain date to make the Christmas season. And a buggy demo at this point makes me think that's what's happening here. Usually I'd expect the last month of a game to be spent on play-balancing, most bugs should be long gone by then. But in this game, that seems to get little attention ... its just SEIV again. The feel seems to be to do nothing here and let the modders do the work later.

Partly I'm disappointed in the focus of the game. 3D means nothing to me, so when I see all the effort spent on 3D, it makes me think of other things that could have been done.

I'm interested in strategy gameplay. I'm interested in a strong AI. How much could have been done here if the focus wasn't on 3D? Too much I see SEIV, but with 3d. And with tools and spaces for modders maybe to improve, but not those improvements used in the demo.

Oh well ... I might come back after some patches and after the modders go to work. But for now, its pretty much a sure thing I ain't buying this one on release.
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

This is actually one of the worst times to release a game. Christmas season is Nov/Dec. Sept./Oct. is bad because it is just at the start of school, so back to school shopping has generally tapped people out, and it is too early for most people to be doing Christmas shopping. Instead, they are more likely to buy nothing and save money for Christmas shopping in Nov./Dec.

Honestly, I don't think I'd buy this game on release either. Didn't buy SE4 for about 8 months, and that paid off.
Old September 29th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Corporal

Uncle_Joe is on a distinguished road

I havent been able to form a valid opinion on the gameplay yet because I its just too unstable for me. Way too many crash outs to try and make a real investment in learning it.

But from the little I've been able to play, I do agree that something appears to be missing. I know its not just me being tired of the genre because I've been away from SE4 for a while and I wanted to get back into it. I came here to see what was up and I saw that the SE5 demo had just hit. So there was definately an interest factor there for me.

As other have said, it does sort of seem like work. The ship construction which should be one of the coolest features seems cumbersome and not intuitive (engines can go anywhere, guns on the back can shoot to the front etc). It doesnt help that the game repeatedly crashes out during both ship construction and the combat simulator.

I'm definately going to approach the final release with caution. Like others, I really WANT to like the game, but so far I havent been wow'ed in any way. I'm hoping for a much better AI than SE4, but I'm being encouraged by what I've been reading about it. SE4's AI never gave a feeling of immersiveness. It agreed to treaties/request and never bothered to follow through. There was no feeling of dealing with other empires (which both MOO2 and the Civ series have managed). I dont expect a strategic and tactical genious from the AI, but something so that you can at least feel like its another actual faction. So far, it appears that SE5 has no done a lot to change that issue.

On the positive side, the change in the combat engine appears welcome, but again I have to reserve final judgement due to crashing issues. In theory, I like how you have to explore the star systems too. How it actually works out remains to be seen.

Still, I'm tentatively looking forward to the release. I'll keep an eye on what others feel about it and I'll see what the patch/upgrade situation looks like. I'm hoping that I can get even a fraction of the enjoyment I got out of SE3 and SE4 (both WELL in excess of the investment).