Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Corporal

Stratos is on a distinguished road
Default Need help finding the enemy.

After all this time playing both games I'm still having serious difficulties in playing "meeting engagements" and "attacks". My main problem is finding where the enemy units before I have my units under fire. Even If I move my units one hex at a time, I always receive enemy fire and some casualties before I can find the damn enemy. Any tip to improve my enemy detection?
Thanks.
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:23 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help finding the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
After all this time playing both games I'm still having serious difficulties in playing "meeting engagements" and "attacks". My main problem is finding where the enemy units before I have my units under fire. Even If I move my units one hex at a time, I always receive enemy fire and some casualties before I can find the damn enemy. Any tip to improve my enemy detection?
Thanks.
1. Scouting, have scout units move in BEFORE your main force does, move 1 or 2 hexes at a time, scan the area a bit, if a scout unit comes under fire, retreat and make a note somewhere that your units can be under fire in the general area where the scout unit was.

2. Air Observers, pretty useful for finding tanks and fortifications, may find some infantry, but don't rely on it unless you're on a "tank heavy" battle.

3.Reserve, don't commit all your forces at once, if a unit comes under fire, let them take it and move another one to neutralize the opponent.

4.Cautious movement, move into trees, rocky areas, have some units on elevations to spot eventual enemy movements and OP firers, rushing is the way to get caught unprepared

A strategy of mine in meeting engagements is to have my troops advance a bit then position themselves to protect an area and wait for the enemy to come, like if it was a delay mission, beat them back as they try to advance then counter-attack once their attack breaks but before they reorganize.

Im pretty sure other people have a lot more to add.
Old September 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM

Corporal

void1984 is on a distinguished road

For WW2 meetings I like to use as scouts: motorcyclists, cavalry scouts and bicyclists. That can get to good observation points much faster then foot scouts.
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Corporal

Brian61 is on a distinguished road

For long range observation, I prefer to use foot scouts but initially mount them on light vehicles to a dismount site out of los from suspected enemy positions. The turn *after* dismount, I move them one hex into position, disable their weapons and let them sit for the duration unless the enemy comes too close. The effective distance for these long range observers depends quite a bit on their experience, pretty pointless to try with green scouts.

Some locations can be tricky to get to without exposing your movement. If you have sufficient artillery, you can drop a smoke screen early somewhere between suspected enemy route of advance and the approach route to your intended observation point(s).

Once my long distance observers are in place, I sometimes send a couple light tanks, scout vehicles, or motorcycle scouts towards suspected enemy locations to draw fire. It is tough to both spot the enemy and survive to retreat even with cover and smoke available. Recon by fire works well with this approach.

When scouting, turning off auto rally can help recover scouts that draw too much fire. If they get suppressed enough, don't try to rally them, just let them retreat automatically toward their rally point.

Last edited by Brian61; September 17th, 2011 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Added auto rally disable tip
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

The best way to spot the enemy,is to see them before they see you.
Placeing your scouts way forward and keeping them stealthy while you place your forces is key.
Advance infrantry "dismounted" the turn before you think you should because any later is usally a turn too late,whoops
Keep your tanks in a overwatch situation as covering support for the infantry until the enemy intent is clear.

Try to get some mmg's and a sniper out range of most small arms,but in good LOS to react when you get fire.
If an infranry squad gets fire,try to fire with a another unit to decrease the enemy hit chance.

Another way to spot the other guy first if you have airpoints,is turn off all bombs cannons rockets ect. except maybe MG's and do a flyover diagonaly,but not so close to give them accurate AA fire,to see whats coming,then use the heavy ordanance and arty later.
Old September 18th, 2011, 04:25 AM

Corporal

And how you use "stealthy" tactics with scouts? Are the same tactics useable by scout tanks?
Old September 18th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Corporal

void1984 is on a distinguished road

The infantry, especially with small number of personnel is much harder to spot then any vehicle.
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

This has been covered with in depth answers loads of times before try puttind scouting or something similar in search
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:48 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

Hello. This is a thread a few months ago.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47496
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:14 AM

Corporal

So the idea is, and please correct me If I'm wrong. Advance the scouts one/two hex, then sit there for the rest of the turn, repeat the next turn. Is that right?
Cause If this is the idea, that will cost tons of turns limiting the time available for the rest of the advance, right?