World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: What\'s a good .iso \'fake cd drive\' program

Quote:
Randallw said:
yeah true enough. As it is I feel nothing for the heroine and would actually welcome her being knocked down a peg. The problem is I have no attachment to either side. I can't see any reason why the good guys should be supported any more than the bad guys, and what's with the Eridani thing against endangering civilians? When, in the first battle, the captain sends his enemy a message saying

"uhum, I am about to blow up your space stations could you please evacuate them" or " please evacuate your freighters so I can destroy them"

I sort of thought

"you have got to be kidding "

the whole thing about war is destroying the enemy. If you stop before each blow to say "I'm terribly sorry, this is going to hurt" you're not fighting a war you're just taking turns to score points. Might as well play tennis.
Ever heard of the Geneva Convention? It's the same sort of thing. Plus, by the time the latest book comes around neither side actually wants to be fighting the war any more, they just can't get negotiations to work (the reasons for this are clear and plausible if you read the whole story, btw). The People's Republic of Haven has far fewer compunctions about that sort of thing earlier in the series.

Quote:
Randallw said:lack of background knowledge aside I don't feel it's my sort of book. I was expecting something like the Starfire books I have with mostly battles and the occasional 2-3 pages as an admiral has a liason with her boyfriend. This is the exact opposite with mostly stuff about her family, her boyfriend, the respective leadership talking, interspersed with interesting stuff, although the battles give me good ideas for my se5 games. I'm not trying to convince people it's bad, it's just not my sort of story telling.

but enough said.
Try the earlier books. The family, boyfriend, and political leadership all come relatively late in the series so you might find the earlier books more to your liking, and once you know the characters you might find those storylines more interesting.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

Parasite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: What\'s a good .iso \'fake cd drive\' program?

I just finished ...
March Upcountry
March to the Sea
March to the Stars
We Few

Weber wrote them with John Ringo. Just the last had any space battles, and I thought they were pretty lame, but the books themselves were great. Lots of technology verses the barbarians type of thing. Or really soldiers verses barbarians. I am becoming a Ringo fan after finising this series and one written only by him about a high tech earth fallen into a magical place. Magic with a sci fi background so it could be real. It was very good as well.