.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old June 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM

First Lieutenant

The_Tauren13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM Game: King of the Hill 2 (Open)

Hmm... that bit about the site searching makes sense. So, how much death would you suggest getting on my pretender? Lets say I still go with the naga, and get F3A3W3E3N5. I guess you would need at least death 3, but is there much reason to get more? Im left with 132 points which is exactly enough to get death 5, but is there much of a reason for that?
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go death 5 on something that didn't start with it, no. Unless you have a long range plan for high-death summonings / globals, D3 or D4 would be fine (especially since the naga can easily get +2 death). Similarly, N5 might be a bit too expensive, considering that Construction-2 and 10 nature gems gets you N5 for Mother Oak / Gift of Health / etc. Or are you switching to the green naga? The golden naga I'd go F4 or F5 and lower the nature a bit. (And I wouldn't take the green, because then heat-3 may cause problems with fatigue - cold with either would be suicidal.)
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Sergeant

Molog is on a distinguished road

Here's a link to a strategy for Carrion Woods i came up that I posted on other forum.

link

There are some useful ideas in the discussion here.
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM

First Lieutenant

Yeah thats what I was thinking about the death magic.
The Golden Naga allows you to easily go heat 3, so I was going to stick with it. That means I could get a higher fire level, but why exactly? What would you use it for?
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:20 PM

Lieutenant General

IMO you want Fire-4 for site searching, first and foremost - fire gems do a lot to fix CW's gold income or lack thereof. Then you can get some summonings you otherwise couldn't easily get, possibly a couple forgings, and you have the option to act as an artillery platform, since with Phoenix power and 3 non-artifact boosters you hit F8. That's some serious firepower you wind up having available for the endgame.

And, of course - every point in Fire magic makes the fire shield more powerful, aiding in the early expansion.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:42 PM

First Lieutenant

I guess I never really thought about alchemizing. Thats probably a great way to actually make some money, and the guy in that link Molog posted had a really good idea: fever fettishes. If you get a hefty fire gem income, who cares if your population dies off, you could still support a bunch of mages with alchemy.
Wait, what are those '3 non-artifact boosters' you mentioned? Other battle spells? I guess fire magic is always good for dishing out massive damage... and would definitely make earlier expansion easier. The thing is, level 4 sites are really few and uncommon, so I didnt think it was worth it just for the site searching.
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:25 AM

Lieutenant General

3 non-artifact booster : the flame helmet, the fiery skull (only requires 1F and 1D) and a staff of elemental mastery. The first two are dead easy, as long as you acquire any amount of fire gem income, and your pretender can forge the last as well. (There's also Robe of the Magi and Ring of Wizardry, but those tend not to be easily obtainable by Pangaea of any flavor.) If you only have 2 of those, that raises you to 6, and Phoenix power gives 7 - that's a lot of devastation you can cast without too much fatigue.

And sure, the level 4 sites are few and far between - but they also tend to be better, and you really do want all the fire income you can get. Once again - if fire didn't tend to also be so handy on the battlefield, I might not recommend taking it to 4 - water and air, by comparison, have relatively little reason to take past 2 or 3 imo.