This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old December 12th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Captain

AgentZero is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Apocalyptic Quotes

Hey folks. I'm starting work on a new story while I beat my head against the towering colosus that is my Hell is for Heroes writer's block. The stuff I've got floating about in my head is sounding pretty damn good.
Basic premise: End of the world! Except I'm doing it properly, unlike those 'disaster movie' hacks. That's right baby, I'm getting it done, Biblical style! Well, no, actually a lot of what goes on would probably be a wee bit offensive to those of a 'serious' religous slant, angels shagging demons (tastefully!) and whatnot. Although if you can see the humourous side of it, that it's just a bit of fun, written by an unrecoverable heathen who'll spend eternity burning in Hell, then you might enjoy it.

I just need three things to get me going.

1) An assortment of apocalyptic quotes. Mainly just for flavour, each chapter is to start with one, so we can keep a running list going. Tried searching for them on Google (I will NOT say 'Googled') and that just brought up wierd stuff. So far I've got three, albeit from one crazy-*** website.
Quote:
I am become Death, destroyer of worlds.
Quote:
When the sky is rent asunder, when the stars scatter and the oceans roll together, when the graves are hurled about, each soul shall know what it has done and what it has failed to do.
Quote:
I looked, and there was a white horse! Its rider had a bow...and he came out conquering and to conquer. When he opened the second seal...out came another horse, bright red; it's rider was permitted to take peace from the earth, so that people would slaughter one another...I looked, and there was a black horse! It's rider held a pair of scales in his hand...When he opened the fourth seal...I looked and there was a pale green horse! Its rider's name was Death.
Second, I need a wee bit of background as to how exactly the end of the world is to take place according to the Bible, since I want that part to be reasonably accurate (it's what comes after that's getting me sent to Hell). But I confess a certain overwhelming weariness comes over me whenever my thoughts stray to actually picking up the Good Book. That, and whenever I do, I come out in a rash.

Thirdly, I need somewhere to put the dang thing so people can see it. While I've managed to keep Hell is for Heroes to a PG version with a bit of carefull editing, there's just no way I'm going to pull it off with this one. Unless the moderators think I could put it up here with a disclaimer to the effect that it's entirely a work of fiction, does not reflect the views of Shrapnel Games & is not intented to in any way offend any person of any religious inclination, and if you are offended by anything you read, stop reading immediately, go pray for my immortal soul and everything will be ok.
Old December 12th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Sergeant

EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Apocalyptic Quotes

It was my understanding that "The Apocalypse" was not the end of the world, just the beginning of some super bad stuff that the Lord will put right. Disease, famine, war, pestilence, bitter beer face; all forshadowed what alot of people call 'The End Times'. But then they say the lord will come and reign for a thousand years. That doesn't sound like the end of the world to me.
If you want to be freaked out do a google search on "Red Heiffer" that's some scary stuff.
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Sergeant

Hunpecked is on a distinguished road

Been done. See the "Left Behind" books.

As for quotes, the song "The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash is about the Apocalypse and includes the "pale horse" quote already mentioned. It was featured quite effectively in the most recent version of the "Dawn of the Dead" film.

http://hit-country-music-lyrics.com/...mesaround.html

Speaking of the living dead, as I recall most of the films include the line, "When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Captain

Quote:
Hunpecked said:
Been done. See the "Left Behind" books.

Speaking of the living dead, as I recall most of the films include the line, "When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."
I am aware of the series but since fervent Christians claim its the best thing written since the Bible (don't believe me, check the reviews on Amazon) and everyone else seems to have a much lower opinion of it, I haven't been much inclined to plunk down any cash for it.

And without giving too much away, I'm really mostly interested in the sequence of events referred to as 'The End of Days' since the premise behind the story is that once the 'final' battle between Heaven & Hell kicks off, everything goes wrong and both sides end up cutting their losses and legging it. How everything goes wrong, well, that's the fun part!

Oh, and I said Apocalypse, not Zombie Apocalypse!
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road

"Maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is because the dead really have been rising from the grave." -Ghostbusters

"Yee-ha!!" -Dr. Strangelove

Oh my God, you blew it up. Damn you! Damn you all to hell!" -Planet of the Apes

-Km :�
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Puke is on a distinguished road

Might i suggest a Norse appocalypse, instead of a Christian one. Ragnarok is so much more fun, and you can parallel it to a nuclear winter.
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Sergeant

EvilGenius4ABetterTomorro is on a distinguished road

O.k., I was really into this stuff in the early 80's. This is what I remember.
1.Bad stuff happens and America somehow gets knocked out of the "superpower" status.
2.Rise of the 10 nation European superpower.
3.Rise of an Asian superpower (who could that be?)
4.Russia and Arabs try to invade Israel and get defeated miraculously (somepeople say this has already happened)
5.China (oops, I mean Asian Superpower) sweeps across central asia headed for the middle east.
6.Massive battle on the plains of Meggiddo. This is the Apocalypse. The tongues eaten in people mouths and eyes melting in sockets kinda thing. The bodies remaining can't be touched due to some sort of contamination.
7.Rise of the anti-christ? Or does this happen before the Apocalypse? Anyway things are really bad, Jesus comes and makes everything nice.

Remember Secty. James Watt? He thought Jesus was comming soon so it was o.k. not to protect the eviroment.
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:28 PM

Captain

Quote:
Puke said:
Might i suggest a Norse appocalypse, instead of a Christian one. Ragnarok is so much more fun, and you can parallel it to a nuclear winter.
Keep in mind it's not a proper apocalypse. It's an apocalypse gone wrong. Few unexpected guests show up and everything gets rather messy. Plus my two central characters are quasi-biblical figures, the archangel Gabrielle (no, that's not a typo, I'm using the feminine tense on purpose), and that happy-go-lucky angel of death, Azrael (though I am perfectly aware that he wasn't actually an angel, much less one of death, but it's my story & I'll do what I please. I mean, I've already turned him into a demon, for crying out loud!).

And when I said Apocalyptic quotes, I should have actually said apocalyptic quotes, that is, quotes with an 'end of all things' feel to them, as opposed to quotes referring to the Apocalypse.
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

older angel/demon/demilich/what-have-you to younger one "Son, if you survive, remember..... of THIS happens it's NOT good."

angrily "Oh, just when you think things couldn't get ANY worse....."

"#%&U$$@#%$^, where the hell did those meteors come from?!?" (serious, throw this into the midst of a battle and you've got total chaos)

spoken by some elder being "This does not look good."

"The end of the world? I imagined it would be a little more..... ah, fiery." just then, something big and flaming hits the ground behind them, perhaps a fireball, meteor, burning house, burning forest, and sets everything in the vicinity on fire

OK, it's not that good but I tried.
Old December 14th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Major

El_Phil is on a distinguished road

Chesterton had a couple of good ones:

"A blood red sky over London and I knew then that the end was near."

"I really have no experience," he began.
"No one has any experience," said the other, "of the Battle of Armageddon."

Whilst recommending books I would point at Good Omens and go ohhh good book and about Armageddon. But I'm too busy thinking about Crowley, the angel who 'didn't so much fall as saunter vaugely downwards.'