Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Sergeant

Charles22 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Don't Feel Sorry For The AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziploc View Post
Whilst I don't feel sorry for the AI as it will, in cold blood, slaughter your best units if given half a chance (bye bye Jagdpanzer IV and 105mm Howitzer Stug to US 57mm ATG and Bazooka respectively), however I do feel sorry for it's digital soldiers and wish the AI would encourage them to spread out a bit more!
There may be some validity to what you say, but I have the gut feeling there isn't. Nonetheless, we usually don't take a platoon of units and protect the most experienced anymore than the others, this partly has to do with the platoon having better results if the best unit is in there fighting, and usually the lesser units aren't too far away in experience anyway, unless we're in the habit of losing untis left and right.

So the only way you could be correct about the AI gunning for the most experienced units, could be a simple matter of observation. I can't tell you for sure this is the case, with anything that follows. Firstly, I think you can always check, like with your own units, just what each unit costs the enemy. If you can (instead of the cost being based on 70exp as in the encyclopedia) see the costs updated to it's current experience for enemy units, then that is the way the AI would know which is the best you have in value. I doubt, however, that even if the AI can see such a thing, that they would program it to do that.
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:34 AM

Private

Ziploc is on a distinguished road

I was talking in terms of purchase cost rather than experience compared to other units in a primarily infantry force.
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Private

The AI was firing the appropriate weapons at appropriate (expensive!) targets rather than shooting up the units with the most experience.
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Murphy's law dictates that if you lose a unit, it's going to be a "best" unit, whether it's your most experienced, the most expensive or simply the one unit you needed to break the line and route your enemy nineteen different direction.

Regardless of how the AI targets, any damage it inflicts is liable to make you want to smash your computer in revenage.

Howard Tayer
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM

Private

Regardless of how the AI targets, any damage it inflicts is liable to make you want to smash your computer in revenage.

Especially now it's pesky airforce have blown up my best Opel truck!
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM

BANNED USER

Ramm is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Especially now it's pesky airforce have blown up my best Opel truck!
LOL best truck

Experience 0 trucks are the best because you get "unbeatable prices" at the dealership (buyscreen), lol , but you have to cheat to get them.

Andrew
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
I was talking in terms of purchase cost rather than experience compared to other units in a primarily infantry force.
It doesn't matter. More experienced units cost more. They do tend to go after the most expensive units, or largest threats, such as tanks, but if you were isolating a platoon of the same tanks, and one had 130 exp., while another had 60, the one that is 130 will cost roughly 50% more, and so IF the AI can see that, they will know which one to gun for, that is, if they are programmed in that rather gamey way, which I doubt.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM

BANNED USER

Ramm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Quote:
It doesn't matter. More experienced units cost more. They do tend to go after the most expensive units, or largest threats, such as tanks, but if you were isolating a platoon of the same tanks, and one had 130 exp., while another had 60, the one that is 130 will cost roughly 50% more, and so IF the AI can see that, they will know which one to gun for, that is, if they are programmed in that rather gamey way, which I doubt.
Charles, no offense but you couldn't be more wrong; the AI simply goes after the most immediate threat, which is not necessarily the most expensive or most experienced but may be both, either or neither.

Andrew
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Private

I agree Charles that the AI does not 'know' which of your units has the greatest experience. Whilst playing it has never seemed to pick out such units for priority targeting.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Quote:
Charles, no offense but you couldn't be more wrong; the AI simply goes after the most immediate threat, which is not necessarily the most expensive or most experienced but may be both, either or neither.

Andrew
I was using more of a theory to back the notion somebody had earlier about the AI going after the best units. I think I made it clear I didn't necessarily believe that, but if it were so what I described could be what happens.