This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old February 27th, 2003, 09:35 PM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

I would like to see the AI defend wormholes, at least important ones, with bases, stats, mines and even some small defensive fleets. I think this would enhance SP play against the Ai especially if the human player had to make wormhole assaults.

Also, for the AI to build more defensive bases. It does build some bases now, more then before, but most of them are only Ship Building ones with out defensive or offensive weapons. Ai needs to build offensive and defensive bases way more then they do currently.

if these have been mentioned before, I apoligize, just don't have time to read all the Posts here at present

just some ideas Mac

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:20 PM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Mythrantar:
What I would like to see in SE5 is the ability to upgrade all eligible buildings and retrofit all eligible ships from a single "Upgrade/Retrofit" window (a two-tabbed window perhaps, one for retrofitting and one for facilities upgarding) instead of having to go planet by planet and ship yard by ship yard to do so.
Welcome Mythrantar! The button you are searching is already implemented for facilities. Hit F7 and look for "Upgrade", that's the button right over "Close".
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Having that for Ships would be a bad idea, and the function would have to be very, very complicated. It would have to check every single ship to make sure it can be upgraded, what it could possibly be upgraded to, you'd have to select what they all upgrade to (as it is quite possible to have many designs concurrently), and it would have to check every ship to make sure it is in a sector with a SY so it can be upgraded. Using this would be more work than using the spacebar to cycle through active ships to see which to upgrade. You can already select multiple ships of the same design to retrofit in the retrofit window. The game just does not allow you to retrofit multiple types of ships at once because then it would have to run a lot of checks to see if the various upgrades are legal or not (same ship hull, max retrofit cost limits, etc.).
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 27th, 2003, 11:25 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Fyron, you were right.

Please ignore all my previous requests for real-time combat. I got MOO3, and you don't even get a chance to figure out what kinds of weapons or tactics the enemy is using before you get blown to smithereens.

Now I remember why I don't like RTS games
Old February 27th, 2003, 11:41 PM

Private

Mythrantar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Welcome Mythrantar! The button you are searching is already implemented for facilities. Hit F7 and look for "Upgrade", that's the button right over "Close".
Thanks a lot! I guess I should have checked more carefully!
Old February 28th, 2003, 01:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

minipol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
[QB]Having that for Ships would be a bad idea, and the function would have to be very, very complicated. It would have to check every single ship to make sure it can be upgraded,
Not if you could assign what it can be upgraded too. Then it would be a piece of cake to implement.
Old February 28th, 2003, 02:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

I have not read the entire post so this might have been suggested before.

1. Lists that remember their position.

2. When you build for example a starbase with a buildship and it's attacked like 0.2 years before completion of the base, the base should already be there but have damaged components. Now you don't get anything which is quite ridicilous.

3. Upgrade of ships would be cool. Now if you have a new design, your queues are not update.
This would have to be the same as the update facilities. For this to work it would have to be possible to assign a successor to a certain shipdesign. For instance, after you upgrade a design, the new design could be automatically marked as the successor to the ship it was upgraded from. Off course you would have to be able to change this. Even if this would not be allowed, this would be more than cool because it would save TONS of clicking.
Same would go for weaponsplatforms, satellites, mines.

4. Allow more than 1 spaceyard component to be used for cooperative building. For instance building a big starbase on a warppoint with a baseyard ship with only 1 spaceyard is SLOOOOOOW.
It should be allowed to have more than 1 component on a ship and even that for instance 2 baseyard ships work together. The construction time doesn't have to be linear but it would at least have to be modable.
Old February 28th, 2003, 02:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by minipol:
quote:
[QB]Having that for Ships would be a bad idea, and the function would have to be very, very complicated. It would have to check every single ship to make sure it can be upgraded,
Not if you could assign what it can be upgraded too. Then it would be a piece of cake to implement.
Which would not make it very much easier than gathering your ships together and retrofitting them in batches. It would require very complex code functions to check to see if each ship can retrofit, and what it can retrofit to. Also, it has to decide which ships to retrofit and which not to when you don't have enough resources to pay for all of them (esp. an issue in turn-based). You would have no control over that. But with how it is now, you can select which ships to retrofit and which not to. Basically, this feature is for the lazy amongst us (such as myself). But, it would be very problematic to use with ship retrofits. It could be done, but using it would most likely end up being as complicated (if not more so) than retrofitting ships as it is done now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
Fyron, you were right.

Please ignore all my previous requests for real-time combat. I got MOO3, and you don't even get a chance to figure out what kinds of weapons or tactics the enemy is using before you get blown to smithereens.

Now I remember why I don't like RTS games
If that is the case, then Real Time combat is not implemented properly in MOO3. It can still be salvaged if they slow it down a bit, or if they give you time before combat begins to see the other side's ships (at least the non-cloaked/stealth ones). For SE games, combat in MP games has no input from the player once combat begins. So, if SE4 (or 5) used real time combat, that would be a null issue for MP games. For SP games, the pacing would have to be timed correctly.

Actually, is there a feature to alter the speed of combat in MOO3? Every RTS game I have ever played has had the ability to slow it down (and to speed it up). I would imagine that they would have this in MOO3 combat too.

[ February 28, 2003, 00:32: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old February 28th, 2003, 02:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Which would not make it very much easier than gathering your ships together and retrofitting them in batches.
So in your opinion, pressing 1 butting is as complicated as looking at all your ships to find
which ones could be upgraded, then sending them to a shipyard and upgrade them?

Quote:
It would require very complex code functions to check to see if each ship can retrofit,
No because you as player would have to decide what i can be upgraded too. If you do not select a logical successor, then your retrofit costs would eventually be that of almost a new ship. Granted, some rules would have to be set like you cannot upgrade a ship to a base and so on but i really don't see the complexity.
Maybe because i program a lot at work

Anyway, your milleage obviously varies but i think this would save me a lot of clicking.

[ February 28, 2003, 00:38: Message edited by: minipol ]
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

"Please ignore all my previous requests for real-time combat. I got MOO3, and you don't even get a chance to figure out what kinds of weapons or tactics the enemy is using before you get blown to smithereens."

This would be an example of real-time done badly then.

If it was real-time in Strategic combat, for example, there would be no negative effect. You aren't giving orders there anyway..

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger