This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old March 20th, 2003, 02:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

Atraikius is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5, Tell Aaron what\'s on your Wish List

When you are loading the game, are you selecting the TDM-Modpack before loading? You may be loading your game using standard SEIV, after starting it with the TDM-Modpack. Try selecting TDM-Modpack with the mod-launcher (making sure that the opening screen says 'using TDM-Modpack'), and wait to load the game until in SEIV itself.

[ March 19, 2003, 12:46: Message edited by: Atraikius ]
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:58 PM

Private

pmazolo is on a distinguished road

I think the most important thing would be to implement a possibility to add story-lines to the game. That is events that depend on other events and variables etc. I would really love to write some classic SF storys in SE V! (think System Shock II on an epic scale!) The Scenario/Events of SEIV are not at all enough for this.

The next thing would be to allow more control over the ministers. To give them universal/system/planet orders and policies/priorities to follow. And the ability to override them for temporarily. To say for example "Produce warships at all cost." to key planets when war breaks out, and cancel that order and return to whatever priorities they had later. Do not remove the great micromanagement (MOO3 sucks), but allow me to use ministers and TRUST THEM in the later game. A super good AI could do it, but it would be more fun to just move up the micromanagement one level, to manage the ministers instead! Instead of deciding every detail or nothing, I would like to still manage, but on a higher scale, and at a point in the game when I decide it. Perhaps different levels of ministers could be used to go even higher and manage huge empires for super-epic games!

The races should also be given more personality, at least by individual speech.

Then to sell more you probably need better graphics (especially the race faces that are quite ugly), animations of ship display, races, 3D battles, etc, but I guess you know this. To me its not that important.
Old March 26th, 2003, 12:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
especially the race faces that are quite ugly
Who said everyone has to be beautiful by our standards? Maybe they are all super-attractive to their species. They aren't humans, so you can't apply human standards of beauty to them.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 28th, 2003, 11:44 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Say, now that PBW is an established institution, I wonder if MM could work with them to integrate the service into SE5 - so you do all your turn uploading/downloading, etc. from inside the game... or would that even be useful?
Old March 29th, 2003, 01:17 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Kolis:
Say, now that PBW is an established institution, I wonder if MM could work with them to integrate the service into SE5 - so you do all your turn uploading/downloading, etc. from inside the game... or would that even be useful?
Maybe MM could develop a 'protocol' and publish the specs so whoever wanted to could run a server. This would be especially cool if SE 5 offered a way to maintain a 'persistent universe' instead of each game being a one-off event. It'd be much cooler to have lots of smaller 'Online game worlds' than one huge one maintained by some sort of corporation as we have with most MMOPG setups these days.
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:10 AM

General

Hmm, didn't there used to be some sort of epic conflict thing set up where whenever a sector in the metagame came under conflict, it was resolved by playing SE4? Never got involved in that, it seemed like there were too many rules and it was too hardcore-RP-style... besides, if you think a PBW game takes a long time - not to mention SE4 by Committee - it boggles the mind how long this sort of thing would take are they still around, anyway? it's been what, 3 years since SE4 was released? or did everybody get bored and give up?

another idea for SE5: an option for weighted planet generation! It's not fair if everyone happens to pick oxygen rock except for the one player who picks hydrogen gas... he gets all his planets "for free" while the others are scrambling to grab as many oxygen rock worlds as they can before they're all taken! It would be nice if SE5 could weight the planet distribution at game setup to match the empires' preferred planets (provided an option was checked - you might want unbalanced setups for some other reason, like in the Star Trek mod where most races like rock planets but the Breen and 8472 don't, so presumably they have some disadvantage to balance their easy acquisition of worlds...)
Old March 29th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I think you are talking about the SE Universe Ladder, which was around before SE4 came out (started back in SE3 days). In it, you can attack a lot more than 1 system at a time. It is going to reopen soon.

[ March 29, 2003, 19:27: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 30th, 2003, 03:58 AM

General

Another idea... a new targeting priority, Easiest/Hardest To Hit. So you make all your Talisman ships go after the hard-to-hit guys and everyone else goes after the remainder. Assuming the Talisman isn't removed or heavily modified for play balance reasons
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Removal of the Talisman would be best. Just because you are deeply spiritual does not mean that you are automatically better at firing weapons.
Old March 30th, 2003, 09:44 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

leaders. they'd also need forces to lead, so for se v you could have different classes of spys, ie you could have 1000 sources of information on a planet, but all of them are at the general public level, your probably not going to get classified information. this could also be done with a percentage or rating system. and your leader would give bonuses ie a espeinage leader would boost your chances of getting useful information.
Sig updated to remove non-working links.