Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 18th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Corporal

Turret is on a distinguished road
Default Anti Air Aircraft

What about radar and IR guided anti-air weapons for aircaft?

These could be called in to take out choppers.
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:07 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anti Air Aircraft

Like perhaps the AIM-9 Sidewinder (#132 USA OOB), for instance???

besides the air-to-air fighting, conducted at greater and greater ranges these days, is outside the scope of a ground based, battalion sized wargame like this one...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:21 PM

Corporal

Turret is on a distinguished road

The guns might need to be re-classed.
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:11 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Aircraft just plain don't have the capability to perform air-to-air combat as that's totally outside the scope of WinSPMBT plus there is never more then one aircraft on map at the same time.
On rare occasions aircraft do attack helos, but its merely because that's what they saw first and the helo had been stationary the previous turn.

On top of which there's no way to designate a specific target for aircraft in WinSPMBT.

Until they get about 3-4 armor helos are pretty fragile, in fact with 0 armor (as most have) it's often argued too fragile. Once they get 4 armor they become very very difficult to damage with MPADs or even .50 cals, one of the things that makes Hinds and Apaches so "fun".

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 20th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Private

FloodNZ is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure aircraft dueling with each other has been covered before and if it were possible would have been added to the game. Considering the level of airstrikes indicates air superiority I'm happy with that.

As for ATA weapons, the AIM-9 is available but the best weapon against choppers I feel are radar guided AA and before that's common they have to get pretty close anyway to launch their rockets or whatever stuff they're putting out there. Helo's are decent once they have reasonable ATGM but once those come around than the environment becomes pretty deadly to fly in anyways so that massive investment in 4 Apaches becomes a bit of a risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to FloodNZ For This Useful Post:
Old September 13th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road

So this thread got me thinking about using strike aircraft to target enemy helicopters. I set up a test and ran it. I modified US F-22s and F-16D COIN fighters to carry sidewinder ATA missiles. I then sent them against some stationary Chinese scout helos on a flat map. The missiles never launched at greater than a 17-18% probability of hitting. I tried modifying the aircraft's stabilizer, fire control, etc. ratings. This helped with the Gatling gun on the aircraft but not with the missiles. It didn't seem to matter to targeting or accuracy whether the missiles were weapons 1, 2, 3, or four. Regular vs. COIN aircraft didn't seem to make a difference either (I interspersed some low value ground units in among the helos to check).

These anti-helicopter fighters would probably be even less effective in more realistic conditions with terrain and moving targets, but even so a scenario designer could make good use of them to give the player an option to punish an opponent just hovering his gunships stationary some place. They might even be more effective then some SAM units if the player could target them effectively.

Anyway, just shows the versatility of this game to do things not even really within its scope!

Edit: Just to clarify- I'm not suggesting these be added in to any OOB. Just pointing out that a scenario designer can easily create a strike fighter to target helicopters, at least in the US OOB.
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I suspect there are two or three reasons your missile accuracy was poor:
1) The EW rating of the helos
2) The EW rating of your aircraft
3) You were moving fairly fast (as all aircraft automatically are are)

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road

I think 3) is the reason. No way to get around the speed of the aircraft and the structural ceiling on fire control and stabilizer ratings seems to mean it won't be overcome. The Chinese helicopters I used were Z5s, outdated aircraft with no EW, so I don't think that factored in this case.
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:48 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,439 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

As a suggestion...Try the same test with the aircraft speed adjusted downward . Add some test aircraft with the same test weapons but with the speed 1/2 then 1/4 of standard ( that would be 12 and 6 in the case of the f16D )

That's the way to know if what you think is correct
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:44 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

As your just playing don't think it will make that much difference but copy the weapon to another slot & boost the accuracy rating though I am guessing its already 100+

It will almost definitely be a speed thing, the few times I have had helo battles moving more than 1 or 2 hexes kills accuracy just like when you fire ATGMs from them.