.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

View Poll Results: In what mode is most of your time spent playing?
I mainly play against the AI. 28 77.78%
I mainly play Pbem. 7 19.44%
I play a pretty even mix of Pbem and against the AI. 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30th, 2009, 03:07 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pbem vs AI . . In what mode is most of your time spent playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummbar View Post
I only play against the Al too. I just am not sure when I might be called away from my computer for any length of time.

PBEM sounds great but, it is a way's on down the road.
Brummbar,

With me it's not a problem as long a I know and roughly how long. But I would certainly like to get you into combat.

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodNZ View Post
I first got SP2 on a demo CD back in 1998 and there a couple of scenarios on there that I played to death. One day my dad came in asked me what I was playing and asked if he could have a go and we had a head to head game of SP2, which was a Vietnam scenario forget what its called but I think a version of it is still in the game. From then on I was hooked to playing against humans in SP.
I'm with you, FloodNZ. My dad and I use to play SP1. In fact I found out about Shrapnel when he managed to load the old SP1 for DOS onto his VISTA machine. After trying to put it on my XP and calling for help he told me about the Camo Workshop.

I'm very greatful for that day. I'm saving up my pennies (not to mention my explinations to my wife as to why I'm buying a game that I've been playing for free for months) for the CD version. I've been playing AI simply because I always wary of playing across an internet connection. That, and I'm very intimidated with all of the AARs, DARs and tatics discussed here. I get the feeling that most of you would hand me my butt on a plate. Not that you wouldn't do it very nicely (or in some cases with much laughter and glee), but I don't feel ready for that yet.

The first human player I want to try my hand against is my father, but for some reason, he says that he hasn't had much time to download the game, much less give it a try. I've always enjoyed hotseat games and it would give us another excuse to hang out. Secretly though, I figure he afraid of me.

Howard Tayer

Last edited by Lt. Ketch; January 30th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: stupid spelling!
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Private

FloodNZ is on a distinguished road

Well I would not be afraid of the people that play PBEM, they are a very friendly lot because they also want people to play against. As for first time playing of at the Blitz they have a newbies section and there are always people willing to give someone a helping hand. I like the SP multi player community its nowhere near as toxic as say Counter Strike or World of Warcraft or the other multi player games I've played. That's the main reason I like to play. As for buying the CD you don't need the CD to play the game PBEM, it just puts a few restrictions on you. I've only bought the game at Christmas time after playing it since 2003, thats what being a poor post grad student will get you though....
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:51 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

On the above couple of comments
I have to say that on the whole the people that play this game are a freindly lot & they often turn into long term relationships as end up chating about allsorts.
Have been invited to Australia buy a guy I play & going to Germany to go round the tank museum with another person I play this summer. Hes even sorted a mate of his who knows a lot about the German war machine in WW2 to tag along.
It might take a little while to find someone who is at your level but once you do tend to stick with them & grow together while finding more.
I think its just the best damn game ever made.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your conforting words and advice. I understand that the poeple who play online are all basicly good and friendly. I've come to know some of you by reading AARs, posts and the like here.

In regards to the benefits of online play, I don't think I have to play in order to enjoy all of them. I get excited when I think of what we have in SPWW2. A community of scholars, tacticsions and wargamers covering the world and sharing victories and defeats of all kinds. I am amazed at the level of research that has gone into a game that I picked up as a kid of tweleve (I was even worse then) and the level of devotion and passion that people have for it. I am trilled to be involved, even if just as a reader and small time participant, in such an undertaking.

The study of war is not the morbid passtime that many may think it is, but the study of stratagy, courage, determination, sacrifice, loss and victory. We look for honor in defeat, virtue in the depraved and civility in conflict. Yes, war is about winning, but victory at the price of humanity is empty. War is a great teacher that helps us to become better, whether it's make sure that the innocent are protected or to make sure that depravity and atrosities are abolished.

This has taken a serious turn, but I want all veterns of all countries of the world to know that I honor you. Let no man say that those that fight for their country or people do so to the shame of humanity. Thank you for what you have done.

That was a long way off the topic, but I wanted to let you all know how glad I am for the unity and community that is present here. I'm sure I work up the courage to jump into an online game against you, but until my life settles down a bit, my onlinegameaphobia wears down and I feel like my tactics are adaquate even for the newbies, I'll watch, read and enjoy from the sidelines for now. I make a good cheerleader.

Ketch

Howard Tayer
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Corporal

fictionfan is on a distinguished road

Why do you assume that Pbem is the only way to play multplayer. There is hotseat too. It does not take as long.
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Voting continues. Pbem seems to be leading the way by considerable numbers. Maybe the reason I stick mainly to vs AI is I just had my butt handed to me in my last Pbem game.
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

I would be interest to know how many of the "Mainly play against the AI' have never Played By E-Mail.

Once I'd played by email, it was so much more fun than the AI that I barely ever played against the AI again.

So be warned: PBEM is the crack-cocaine of wargaming (for those of us who are suseptible to this type of addiction)
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross View Post
I would be interest to know how many of the "Mainly play against the AI' have never Played By E-Mail.

Once I'd played by email, it was so much more fun than the AI that I barely ever played against the AI again.
Good point. In my case, I think the main reason for my leaning towards playing vs the AI is due to the time I spend designing. Since I have to devote a considerable amount of time playtesting, I end up spending a good portion of available "game time" playing vs the AI.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM

BANNED USER

Ramm is on a distinguished road

100% vs AI for me (and that only when I have time), it just sounds too technical to play e-mail, and only a turn per day! It would be hard to play enough PEBM turns per day to be meaningful unless of course you're unemployed or in jail. If you're not out of work or in the slammer it would be hard finding enough time without becoming unemployed lol. Or going to jail because you hit your wife because she wouldn't stop nagging you as you waited for the "file".
Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited by Ramm; February 17th, 2009 at 05:49 PM..