.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 1st, 2003, 05:50 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road
Default A quick question about Man

So in Dom I Man is infamous for having a record number of troops only buildable in their home province - daughter, mother, and crone of Avalon, as well as Knights of Avalon, Wardens, and Lord Wardens - a total of 6, including all the nation's mages! This is way more than any other nation (at least in Dom I).

So this is my question: Is this the same in Dom II? Or can you recruit some of these units outside the home province? Or are other nations also having to build more units in home province only (to make it more even)?

Honestly I'd probably settle for Knights of Avalon alone being able to be built anywhere. It makes sense (though it is a pain) that the witches are centred in the home province, since their magical power comes from the secret Forest of Avalon. And it kinda makes sense to have Wardens built there, since they are described as protecting the crones, and are sacred. But as it is you can't build wardens and knights of Avalon to any significant degree, which kinda sucks. Also as has been pointed out many times, having all your mages recruitable only in your home province is a real handicap.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:38 AM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A quick question about Man

a brief addendum - another nation I think suffers in the same way is C'Tis - mainly because their heaviest infantry, the Swamp Guard, and their best (read "only worthwhile") ranged troops, the Poison Slingers, can both only be built in their home province.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

Ctis is very disadvantaged compared to other nations. I could list several things which show that, if you compare them with another race, they are at disadvantage. I hope they have a small boost in power in doms II.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:01 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by st.patrik:
a brief addendum - another nation I think suffers in the same way is C'Tis - mainly because their heaviest infantry, the Swamp Guard, and their best (read "only worthwhile") ranged troops, the Poison Slingers, can both only be built in their home province.
BTW, playing a solo game with Arco I just managed to take their Home province, along with the sites allowing recruitment of those troops. I stormed the castle, so totally control the province.
But I can't build the special troops, looks like they onmly "work" with Ctis owners
Is that normal ?
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

C'tis can now play as Ermor with their new theme "Desert Tombs" (actually in my current game I'm facing 2000 of their troops in their capital alone). Also they have additional theme "Miasma" that makes your domain very inhospitable to all non-cold blooded creatures (it diseases them) and thus making offensive against them very difficult. Not sure if units are different in default theme since I didn't ever play them in Dom I demo.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:18 AM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
BTW, playing a solo game with Arco I just managed to take their Home province, along with the sites allowing recruitment of those troops. I stormed the castle, so totally control the province.
But I can't build the special troops, looks like they onmly "work" with Ctis owners
Is that normal ?
Yes. It's same as in DomII, however there are some sites that will allow you to recruit some of special troops available to other nations (not many and they are there).
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by Daynarr:
C'tis can now play as Ermor with their new theme "Desert Tombs" (actually in my current game I'm facing 2000 of their troops in their capital alone). Also they have additional theme "Miasma" that makes your domain very inhospitable to all non-cold blooded creatures (it diseases them) and thus making offensive against them very difficult. Not sure if units are different in default theme since I didn't ever play them in Dom I demo.
agreed Daynarr, they are cool (even cold) and have nice themes, but these themes render them differents, not a bit more powerful. If they still have so much crappy units, they are still behind other nations.
I like them anyway, I played a full pbem with them
Old October 2nd, 2003, 11:31 AM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pocus:
quote:
Originally posted by Daynarr:
agreed Daynarr, they are cool (even cold) and have nice themes, but these themes render them differents, not a bit more powerful. If they still have so much crappy units, they are still behind other nations.
I like them anyway, I played a full pbem with them

They have a new holy troop serpent dancers. And all their units are 50% poison resistent, ie half poison damage. The posion resistance is stackable with battlefield enchantments meaning that they unlike most troops can get 100% poison resistance from battlefield enchantments. The new holy troop the serpent dancers are 100% poison resistant, so they might be useful in comboes with the poison slingers.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 12:00 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
They have a new holy troop serpent dancers. And all their units are 50% poison resistent, ie half poison damage. The posion resistance is stackable with battlefield enchantments meaning that they unlike most troops can get 100% poison resistance from battlefield enchantments. The new holy troop the serpent dancers are 100% poison resistant, so they might be useful in comboes with the poison slingers.[/QB]
wow, thats really interesting. I always wondered why poor C'tis was not poison resistant in doms I. Now with this change they will fare much better. And the Poison slingers will be very easy to use. Great game balance idea thanks!

If I understand you well, battlefield enchantments only give a 50% (the area Version, I recall you said the personal Version was an immunity). So this means that you cant protect your troops from fire or poison totally? Or perhaps ward can be accumulated to reach 100 % ? (I hope not).
Old October 2nd, 2003, 12:12 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Right, unless a unit has inherent partial resistance or carries an item with partial resistance,those will stack with the enchantments.