Old June 15th, 2004, 06:33 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SE5 progress

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kwok:
quote:
Originally posted by TNZ:
Will we be able to have components that can make ordnance on bases and ships?
I think I would prefer if bases and planets just automatically re-supplied ships with ordnance. I can see it turning into a potentially micromanagement nightmare otherwise.
The simplest solution would be to handle it like supplies are in SE4. Build a faclity to resupply with ordinance, or incorperate the ability into the resupply depots.

Definitely seperate the two abilities, though, for modding purposes if nothing else.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:09 AM

Captain

Kana is on a distinguished road

About beta testing...I'm sure the list will be long for the people who would love to be on that list...I was wondering what the chance would be for someone not in the 'inner circle' to be able to beta test when that time comes?

Kana...who has beta tested he's fair share of other games...
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Colonel

Q is on a distinguished road

Great news, thank you Malfador!

I especially like the tech requirement with the boolean evaluation. If I understand this correctly it would make it possible to research a component with two different approaches choosing "or" and creating technologies that are excluding each others.

One thing I would love to see for weapons is the lines:

Skips shield level =
Skips armor level =

Then you could create indefinite levels of armors and shields and weapons that penetrate them.
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kana:
I was wondering what the chance would be for someone not in the 'inner circle' to be able to beta test when that time comes?
As I only have less than 200 Posts I know I am in no "inner circle", however I am regular in all my games and always give warning if I will be absent. I wish to give notice of my enthusiastic willingness to help beta test.
Old June 15th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

minipol is on a distinguished road

Who on this forum wouldn't want to beta test
Anyway, beta testing isn't that easy if you take it seriously. I did it once for a game and i remember it was quite tedious at times. Off course being able to play your favourite game before it's released is really great

And being a programmer, it was also fun for me to think how the programmers pulled off certain things.

As to what i want to see changed in SE5, 2 biggies:
* being able to assign one ship as the succesor of another in the design view so that you can upgrade all ships of type very easily without looking them up and clicking and clicking. All this clicking to upgrade prevents me from spending more time coming up with devious schemes to become supreme ruler

* lists should remember their position (some already do now)
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Q:
One thing I would love to see for weapons is the lines:

Skips shield level =
Skips armor level =

Then you could create indefinite levels of armors and shields and weapons that penetrate them.
There's already something very similar to that - instead of indefinite levels, you specify various shield and armor *types*, so for instance you could have an Energy Shield which stops energy weapons 100% and a Matter Shield which stops matter weapons 100%... then you could define a damage type called Particle Beam which gets through each of those shields 50%
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

Paul1980au is on a distinguished road

SO who removed my Last post about forum members being given a link to beta test a demo Version of the full beta testing that the "inner circle" get - please put the post back it was a valid idea -

Those that arent on the beta test get the offer of a limited demo Version instead - it would get some interest and publicity for when the full Version is out ?
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:24 AM

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Beta demos are dangerous because they don't represent the completed game and people often ***** about bugs.

EDIT: especially early in the beta process when the game tends to be well neigh unplayable.

[ June 16, 2004, 00:25: Message edited by: Phoenix-D ]

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old June 16th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix-D:
The simplest solution would be to handle it like supplies are in SE4. Build a faclity to resupply with ordinance, or incorperate the ability into the resupply depots.

Definitely seperate the two abilities, though, for modding purposes if nothing else.
That's a good solution.
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:40 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

There is no such creature as a "Beta Demo". A Beta 'Version' is sent out to all accepted beta testers and ALL testers sign an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) The so called "Beta Demo's" are usually what is refered to as "Warez". (stolen copies or otherwise 'leaked' copies that have no business being circulated to the public.)

As was mentionned, there are many, MANY changes that occure during beta development and it's not just bug fixes. Gameplay balancing and often new features are added in the beta stage. It would be a very bad thing to have unfinished, unpolished, untested software floating around the net.

Don't feel bad, just make sure you apply for the beta when Aaron puts the word out that the beta is about to start. Yes there are some regulars that can be called "the IN crowd" but Aaron always likes to infuse his beta testing with fresh blood. THings to keep in mind when applying for a beta position, Experience and or high Interest in 'Modding' is a definate plus. Aaron also looks for a wide variety of system specs to get a good idea of what the min/reccomended system will be for playing the game. (Look at the system specs for Starfury and you'll have an idea of the range he will be looking for.)

So, the bottom line is.. don't expect a "Beta Demo" (it is not forthcomming) and be sure to apply for the beta test when the time comes. (probably closer to fall than winter 2004)

Cheers!