.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road
Default How much does your core change over a campaign?

Do you start out with the formations you want and then just upgrade to new tanks?

Do you start small and expand?

How often do you upgrade units? As soon as available or do you wait a bit?

Tell us about your campaign strategies
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How much does your core change over a campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
Do you start out with the formations you want and then just upgrade to new tanks?

Do you start small and expand?

How often do you upgrade units? As soon as available or do you wait a bit?

Tell us about your campaign strategies
What "I" do,in pbem and against the AI.

Start low and expand slowly depending how well you do,

It also gives you time to reorganize,it's always a decision on what to keep and what to bring in.

Don't upgrade often, as that brings down experience,better to wait for something that warrants an upgrade comes on.
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

I usually start out with the formations I want and then upgrade along the way, but I think next time I will start out small, and then work my way up. Represent the progression from company to battalion commander and so forth.
Old November 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I play just as a commander quite often progress through formations rather than ranks though. Might start in charge of foot sloggers depending on side playing few tanks if any though might have the odd TD but mainly ATGs. Then might upgrade to a mech formation with a bit of armour before switching to an armoured unit. Easier to do the other way once have some experience mind you but gives diffrent challenges. Recently started buying 2/3rds as second line units & upgrading to regulars once become elite, can be hard at start depending on side playing. Nowadays just upgrade when I need to not as soon as new gear is out & always replace the whole company not piecemeal. I often delete & rebuy so formation is correct for the time but thats just me lose your experience doing that.
Much as dont upgrade straight off if strugling might do combat trials & buy a platoon of new gear with support points in the mean time. If apprporiate will change 1/3rd or so of my infantry to ski & back for winter if short on transport.
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by runequester View Post
I usually start out with the formations I want and then upgrade along the way, but I think next time I will start out small, and then work my way up. Represent the progression from company to battalion commander and so forth.
Definitely,in the early battles it gives time to grow.

The advantage in playing the AI is it will never get more than the value of your core+support.
{edit}
Not so if playing a human in a campaign however,
It's totally different as when you lose it gives the other guy more points to expand/change and repair while you may only be able to just make repairs.
Of course when winning same applies.:-)

Last edited by gila; November 19th, 2009 at 08:13 PM..
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Private

phil74501 is on a distinguished road

I used to start out with 3 tank platoons, and 1 or 2 infantry platoons. Depending on how many points I had. I always bought the 5 vehicle tank platoons if available. I would keep 3 of the tanks as regular tanks, then convert the other 2, the ones with the worst crews, to a mine clearing tank and a flame throwing tank. That way I wouldn't have to spend any points on mine clearing tanks if I came to a scenario that required them. I could save those points for more arty or other goodies. An added plus would be that it still has a gun on it that you can use against other tanks if needed. The flame thrower was always good for running stubborn infantry out of bunkers and such.

If I couldn't buy 2 infantry platoons at first, I would buy a second eventually. I would always mix and match squads in a platoon. Turn one into an engineer unit, or maybe commandos, whatever fits your strategy. That way you always had engineers, and as mentioned earlier, you could save points in a scenario that required them. I would upgrade to apc's when I could.

Of course all of that depends on what country you're playing and so on. I thought my strategy always left me with a good balanced force. And after I had upgraded everything I had plenty of points left in a scenario to buy support units with.