.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: -InsertName- died retreating into enemy territory!

Quote:
Sarvoth said:
After 70 long turns of slowly killing off about a third of their forces, the armies of Man route; and I had only taken about a hundred chaff and a couple dozen wraith casualties. It was obvious to me that I was now in a position to win the game. I had yet to even dent my gem reserves, and all my casters were empowered and prepared to raise massive hordes of undead each and every month.... while my incredibly powerful and nigh invulnerable Emporor spearheaded the massacre..

I end the replay, smiling to myself as I think I may finally win a game...
This is likely to happen when huge armies try to melee in a castle gate, but there's no way at all for you to know that. (your god blasted, but couldn't kill everyone).

An easy built-in save game feature would have really helped here. (though I still dont think it's important overall).

Quote:
What moron would run out of the gates of his fortress into enemy territory after annihilating the enemy siege? I don't understand this, and this strange order of events cost me days worth of time; and a stroke (I lie, figurative) due to anger.
The game mechanic that caused this is that after 50 turns the game figures that this battle is a stalemate and will never end, so attacker (Man) automatically retreats. Then if battle is still going on a bit later, the defender (you) auto-routs too. Perhaps some of Man's units were caught in battle, or paralyzed, or over 100 fatigue from your undeads' chill aura, so they couldn't run.

Guess your mages were force to run, then right afterwards the last of Man was gone, and you still had some units in battle, so you won the fight. (or maybe Man's armies were automatically killed off at turn 70, at some point that happens)

The game's not likely to change... what you have to do if you try this again, is to finish the battle faster. Kill the enemy faster. Archers, or more mages casting damage spells would work. Have some death4 mages stand forward scripted to cast cloud of death perhaps.

If your whole army is poison resistant, and most of the enemy's isn't, then casting Foul Vapours could work (probably from your pretender). Enchantment5, needs a nature gem, nature3 water1. *everyone* has a 10% chance to be poisoned each battleturn... should kill off most humans in a long fight.