ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM

Corporal

sturmovik is on a distinguished road
Default LMG and Weapons Platoons

I had a quick question about LMG and Heavy Weapons platoons in the nationalities where they appear. I have always been somewhat confused as to the role they played in real life and how it matches up to the role they play in the game.

First of all I am under the impression that for infantry units the weapon in the #1 slot is applied to all (or nearly all) of the men in that unit. So if #1 weapon is a rifle and the squad has 10 men the firepower of the single rifle is multiplied across the 10 men. I assume that an LMG unit (frequently encountered in the German forces) where the #1 weapon is some LMG, then each soldier in the unit is assumed to have an LMG which would multiply that firepower across the entire unit. However in game the LMG units seem to have below average firepower compared to a standard rifle unit. Am I missing something here?

Second I am also a bit confused to the use of the heavy weapons platoons where 50/60 or 81mm mortars are assigned in the 2,3,4 weapons slots in an infantry unit. As it is now these weapons function in the same manner as a rifle grenade or any other standard secondary weapon. However this seems to ignore the fact that the squad is equipped with light artillery that that in theory could be used for indirect fire. How were these squads actually used in combat and does the game reflect this?
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LMG and Weapons Platoons

Weapon 1 is only multiplied by number of men if it is a CLASS 1 (infantry prime) weapon, as explained in the mobhack help. In other words, rifles and SMGs and not LMGs.

An LMG unit with the weapon in slot 1 and rifles in other slots has the rifle as a secondary weapon, therefore.

As to the little light mortars - they are direct fire weapons, unless you buy the version of the German OOB where the 50mm tiddly mortars are implemented as a light mortar class in one formation. ~500m ranged indirect fire weapons are just about useless - but apparently some folk love the things that way. I prefer the heavy infantry section type, and firing direct over open sights than waiting 2-3 turns for fire to arrive (by which time the fight has likely moved elsewhere).
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:21 AM

Corporal

Thanks, for the response.

If the LMG groups have nearly the same role as an MMG or HMG unit has there been any thought to giving them the MG icon or perhaps a similar type of new icon? Not trying to nitpick, but visually they appear as a normal infantry unit, but in reality they function more like an MG unit. That can make maintaining proper situational awareness a bit more difficult.

Re the heavy weapons platoons did there used to be ones with 81mm mortars in them? I looked and only found 50's, which does make sense as a direct fire only weapon, but I could have sworn there used to be ones with 81s.
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:58 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If the LMG groups have nearly the same role as an MMG or HMG unit has there been any thought to giving them the MG icon or perhaps a similar type of new icon?
They don't they have a similar role to a squad. They have similar range so need to be at the front rather than towards the rear. They take fire similar to a squad as in for a group with 3LMGs which is what I think you are referring to they are reasonably spread out. 3 groups & say a commander. So probably 30-60% of the men are watching the flanks etc.
MMG & HMG are grouped round the MG so are crewed weapons & far more susceptible to taking damage if a hit occurs because of it.
The crew icon reminds you that unit taking fire can hurt.

Never seen one with anything above a 60mm mortar
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,220 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The only LMG groups I can think of that are in the Nazi Germany OOB are in the paras, one per section since a section is (Infantry group + LMG group) as they were rather too large to make before we originally extended section size beyond 13 men probably. Plus, it helps them fit in the air transport most likely.

If the OP wants the details as to why it was done so - it may be discussed in the old yahoo! DOS forums archives (it goes that far back in the pre-history of the game ). I vaguely recall some discussion on it back around 200 or so.

So they are infantry, operating as rifle group and gun group in pairs in fire and manoeuvre team pair tactics just like late war British sections (but with 2 LMG in the section).

If they were tripod mounted MMG then they would be like the MMG teams in some American (MBT?) infantry formations, and with 4 or 5 speed, not 6.

As to the 8 cm direct fire mortar - see the German paras in unit #369.
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:14 AM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

It also makes it easier to set up crossfire in a bocage type terrain.
Old March 24th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Corporal

Having just played with a 50mm sw platoon I confirmed the other issue. They don't see to be able to pop smoke at range like a unit with mortars should be able to. Being able to lay down a direct fire smoke screen would be much more useful than either indirect fire modes, but I would take indirect fire smoke over no smoke at all.