Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Corporal

Sewter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Machineguns

Hi Exel, I understand what you are getting at. But look at it this way: It is a feature that will stay. So, perhaps you can think of ways that you can use it functionally/ strategically for gameplaying. For increasing hitting %, try this: 'T' arget your opponent. You will know what your primary(1) weapon's hitting % is. If you do not like it's %, then: 'T'arget your opponent, stay on your unit (click on it), hit your 'W'eapon to choose secondary (2,3, or 4) weapon. Then, 'F'ire your secondary weapon to target! You will notice an increase to your hitting % on your primary weapon (the one that counts!). You may be surprised, but the tactic that I wrote of, in the previous post, really is something that has been used by not just the UK, but by many armies the world over. Hopefully this may help. Otherwise, for the game and the fame: Hit them with anything! Suppress your enemy!
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Corporal

Chaim_Krause is on a distinguished road

A quick comment on this subject, although not in a manner that is related to WinSPMBT.

Machine Gun fire is so ineffective against tanks that it is common practice to "scratch the back" of a friendly tank. If a tanker sees enemy infantry on or around a friendly tank, he will spray machine gun fire around the friendly tank with the hope of killing the enemy infantry knowing full well that the rounds will not harm the friendly tank. Now, granted, it may cut off a radio antenna, knock out a tail light, or something similar, but it won't injure the crew or lessen the tank's combat effectiveness.

An example of this can be found here.
Old July 16th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Private

Exel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sewter said:
But look at it this way: It is a feature that will stay.
I think this is a pretty unconstructive way to develop a game. I can understand if it simply can't be done, which I doubt, but saying that it wont change because "it just wont" is not really adequate. At least give a reason why not.
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

FJ_MD is on a distinguished road

Read through this thread and you will understand why not...

Old July 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Private

There hasn't been a single explanation as to why it couldn't be done, other than "it's always been like that" and "it wont change". If there is no real reason not to change it, then it should be changed.
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Exel said:
There hasn't been a single explanation as to why it couldn't be done, other than "it's always been like that" and "it wont change". If there is no real reason not to change it, then it should be changed.

Either you are not reading all the posts or you are choosing to ignore posts you disagree with. I answered this right near the beginning of this thread

================================================== =========
"MG and small arms fire cause an AFV to button up and enough of it adds surpression to the crew, only a bit but sometimes that is enough to cause a change in behaviour.

It also adds surpression to any infantry in the hex as well ( spotted OR unspotted )
================================================== ==========

Obviously you don't consider this augument worthwhile but I do.

I have also pointed out you can easily bypass firing your MG's by pressing "W" first then select your main gun only and you don't have to worry about firing the MG's.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Private

Quote:
DRG said:
================================================== =========
"MG and small arms fire cause an AFV to button up and enough of it adds surpression to the crew, only a bit but sometimes that is enough to cause a change in behaviour.

It also adds surpression to any infantry in the hex as well ( spotted OR unspotted )
================================================== ==========

Obviously you don't consider this augument worthwhile but I do.
You are right. I don't consider it a reason not to change it, since that is simply an explanation of how the game works atm. That doesn't change the fact that it is A) unrealistic B) majorly annoying.

Quote:
I have also pointed out you can easily bypass firing your MG's by pressing "W" first then select your main gun only and you don't have to worry about firing the MG's.
While it is a handy tool, the AI doesn't use it and neither can it be used with reactive fire. So the problem remains. As it is, each tank on tank engagement (meaning each and every shot fired!) takes up three times as long thanks to the largely futile machinegun firing. Multiply that with 4 (the average number of shots per tank per round), then by the number of tanks in the engagement, and you'll get the time consumed each turn in an action that ought not to happen in the first place.