World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old June 18th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Private

Gud is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nazi German OOB

Another one:

I am under very strong impression that SPA batteries (Wespe, Hummel) had 6 guns unlike standard battery size of 4.

Suggest making new unit - offboard SPA batteries each made up of 2 units 3 tubes each.
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

Some link to page with pictures of captured combat vehicles in german service
http://beute.narod.ru/Beutepanzer/main.htm
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:48 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

There simply is not enough room for everything (especially as some enthusiastic previous OOB designers did things like add 27 different %^&$" useless Brandenbergers

I counted 15~ of them.

Slot 222
Slots 468 to 478
Slot 635
Slots 700 to 703

And yes, they're essentially useless for anything but a few specialized scenarios representing the kind of surprise attacks that they did in seizing bridges and stuff during Barbarossa.

Perhaps they could be streamlined down to about 5 units, and if the scenario creators want a specific weapon for their brandenburgers, they can edit the unit data in the scenario editor?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

I knew there was a lot of them

Now that they are in the OOBs, they essentially have to stay there I am afraid. They may be used in scenarios, or scenarios in user campaigns and removal is likely to result in problems.

Now we have the OOBSs under our control again, we can be more selective on what goes in (or not). But as you say - 2 of these or so would have done, if any really. Scenario designers can always make up "special farces" types from regular infantry units, as these things are really only of use in such, not in normal games.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:47 AM

First Lieutenant

I sugest add in german OOB in years 1937-November 1939 Selbstschutz non regular formation would be good as german partisants during hipotetical fight in Czechoslovakia and than during September Campaigne. They were armed in typical germans weapons transfered in secret for this organisation from germany kar98k , MG34 LMG and granades. Units should be similar to Volksturm in late war. I know in german OOB is only 20 slots and is hard add new units but you think about this formations. Fights with Selbstschutz in Silesia , Bydgoszcz , Torun in all western poland was a very characteristic for many battles in 1939. This german partisants were know in poland as Fifth column that was a pharaphase of General Francisco Franco who say during spain civil war "My four columns march on Madrid but fifth is in the city"

Some links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selbstschutz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column
Old July 5th, 2006, 05:48 AM

First Lieutenant

I sugest add in german OOB in years 1937-November 1939 Selbstschutz non regular formation would be good as german partisants during hipotetical fight in poland and than during September Campaigne. They were armed in typical germans weapons transfered in secret for this organisation from germany kar98k , MG34 LMG and granades. Units should be similar to Volksturm in late war. I know in german OOB is only 20 slots and is hard add new units but you think about this formations. Fights with Selbstschutz in Silesia , Bydgoszcz , Torun in all western poland was a very characteristic for many battles in 1939. This german partisants were know in poland as Fifth column that was a pharaphase of General Francisco Franco who say during spain civil war "My four columns march on Madrid but fifth is in the city "

Some links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selbstschutz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Such units are realy not worth the bother. Less use than the 12-odds Brandenberger elements already in there.

If you really need some sort of partisan army - rewrite the Green or Blue OOB, as these generate central Europe batlocs. Not sure about Red without reading the code - probably Balkans?.

However as the only real users would be human players, you could simply add them to the OOB as new formations of irregulars of some sort. Then maybe change a few mortar units (or add some) etc. The AI would not pick them then, leaving whichever human player was to play these to select them as required.

Blue and Green exist as middle-Europe lists, to be rewritten as required by OOB designers. They have fantasy armies in place as placeholders. Red is a more soviet-supplied partisan army template for mainly Balkan mobs.

If it is only for scenarios (which really is the only worthwhile use I can see for partisan units, they are not used in campaigns and who would bother with them in regular batle generator games, really?) - simply use any old German infantry units (if you want them to use the nazi flag), and use the scenario editor to change stats etc. The "clone all" function in the CD edition makes this easy - just edit one sample unit to what you want, then use that function to copy the new stats to all others of that unit ID.

Cheers
Andy
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:23 PM

Private

vic is on a distinguished road

nail struck squarely on head...it's the "slot" problem. the poor camo guys are stuck with these integrally numbered "slots" (records within a file) all over the place. frankly what they've achieved, given the poor architecture they inherited, is nothing short of amazing.

i picture myself, in a previous professional life, telling a client that if he wanted to add more customers he'd have to get rid of some existing customers as all the "customer slots" were full.
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM

First Lieutenant

Hey that is impresive. The origins of famous bradenburger commando unit are in 1939 in one of selbstschutz unit know as kampfgruppe Ebbinghaus. http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3623