.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "AI Balance" mod idea - feedback appreciated !

alternatively light units should get a boost in defence... (taken from the thread speaking of LI and terrain)
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:42 AM

Corporal

Tris is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't the ideal AI feel like playing against a human? I know that the guys who write GalCiv upload game files from players, and adapt the AI to play more like the best players.

Perhaps an idea for Dom3, but still a nice one. You could adjust it's tendancy to build fortresses, what preference it had for fortress provinces, what spells it targetted for research based on nation/pretender - lots of things.
Old April 18th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road

mmmh, can we keep focused on what the players can do, without waiting for the devs, in improving the AI? A perfect AI ok, but in 2071 it will be a bit late.

So back to topic, I would goes as far as propose as the boosted AI dont consider resources as a limitation: all units cost only one resource, the limitation deriving from his gold income, and thats it. This way, the capitol would be enough to churns out tons of units, *if gold is here*. As I'm pretty confident the AI is not cute enough to understand that a light infantry (10 gold 1 res) is even more crappier in the new system compared to a HI (10 gold, 1 res), you can be sure we will still see plenty of light national units, threading with the usual hords of recruited independants.
Old April 18th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I agree. GalCiv has always popped up in AI conversations for years. But it was written around AI. I dont think we will be seeing that kindof improvment for years to come (besides Id rather see player scripting for AI)

I think before a mod discussion someone may need to test the AI abit. See if its build instructions are influenced by cost, or by position. Try turning the cost of mounted units for Man down to 5 gold and see if Man builds more of them. If not then try swapping the mounted and an infantry.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:33 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Ya testing should be done to determine how the AI chooses what to build. Then this mod could tweak the costs to suit. If it likes to build low resource troops, then reducing the national heavy troops' resources (and even raising the resource costs of national troops you don't want the AI to use much of) might do the trick.

Another idea for this mod: give the AI units or commanders some supply generation, to compensate for the AI's incompetence at preventing starvation.

PvK
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Well, I agree that we first need some testing done to see how AI build is influenced.
Unfortunately there's no "easy" way to observe what the AI build, and comparing builds with/without costs change will be even more difficult... And frankly I won't have enough time for that

If IW could give us some hint at how AI chooses builds we could save lots of testing !

PvK,
Good idea about supply generation for AI commanders, will keep that in mind.