Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Private

21sec is on a distinguished road
Default Mod Question

I've been thinking about modifying the game slightly and adjusting everything (speed, weapons) to reflect 250m hexes. Anyway, I'm just not sure about the accuracy rating on the weapons tab. I know I have divide ranges by 5, but I just don't have a good grasp of how accuracy really works in game. Can anybody shed light on the topic?
Old November 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mod Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21sec View Post
I've been thinking about modifying the game slightly and adjusting everything (speed, weapons) to reflect 250m hexes. Anyway, I'm just not sure about the accuracy rating on the weapons tab. I know I have divide ranges by 5, but I just don't have a good grasp of how accuracy really works in game. Can anybody shed light on the topic?
And the artillery would totally ignore your idea as well, with 81mm mortars then suppressing half a kilometre. Infantry leaders with no radio would have "voice" control of teams 750m or so away, etc. What would you then do with regards to off-map arty, which starts at 200 hex range?. How about stacking - if a hex is 250m, why should a 4 man team in the hex add a point to a passing tank platoon's move cost?.

Basically - changing things does not work, whether trying to make it a 250m hex or a 10m one. The game system is built on 50 metre hexes.

Andy
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

What's the maximum in contact command range?
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road

5 hexes in between
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
What's the maximum in contact command range?
About 2-3 hexes for guaranteed voice contact.

It can be longer even for non-radio units, but depends on things like both units being in LOS of each other, experience rolls, suppression, etc. so cannot be guaranteed. You just might find a loose element right across the map, with no radio, marked as in contact. In that case assume the unit commander sent a runner to find them !.

Radios can work across the entire map to establish radio contact, but beyond 500m or so are more unreliable.

Being in voice contact of a Coy or higher level HQ in line of command, can allow a unit out of platoon command to be marked as in contact with its PL HQ - again, not to be relied on.

Contact is established at turn start, so try to ensure the 150m distance from PL HQ the move before.

Andy
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Private

21sec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21sec View Post
And the artillery would totally ignore your idea as well, with 81mm mortars then suppressing half a kilometre. Infantry leaders with no radio would have "voice" control of teams 750m or so away, etc. What would you then do with regards to off-map arty, which starts at 200 hex range?. How about stacking - if a hex is 250m, why should a 4 man team in the hex add a point to a passing tank platoon's move cost?.

Basically - changing things does not work, whether trying to make it a 250m hex or a 10m one. The game system is built on 50 metre hexes.

Andy
Well you never know till you ask. Thanks
Old November 26th, 2009, 01:05 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

If you want a 200m hex, dig somewhere (seems I lost my CD somehow) the Steel Panthers III, there might be Kobhack also somewhere to download to toy with unit stats, but be ready for lower (much, much lower) level of fun
(Actually toyed with SP3 OOBs for a while way back, for example divided all speeds by ca. 3 to prevent the situation when units were able to drive through the whole range of their weapons in one turn, and more). However with current SP engine, I think you might get away with changing scale to 1 hex = 25m (say going for fireteams instead of squads etc), but even there you will expect some mismatches with burst radii etc.
Old November 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

When we discussed the 25m hex years ago, we discarded it for the following reasons: Artillery, bombs and are other large weapons are coded for a 50m hex. You could double ranges speeds and so on, but then you are up against the 255 asymptotic limit. Every weapon range would have to be doubled. Every range would have to be doubled. Speeds of all units from donkeys to jet aircraft would have to be doubled. It's a lot of work for very little return. The engine assumes a 50 metre hex and you can't get round it.

And don't ask for the source code. I have NO authority to speak for Andy or Don, but they have repeatedly (IIRC) explained that they are NOT ALLOWED to share the source code with anyone. (Please correct me, gentleman, if I am wrong).

Eldarion Lathria
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

Why double speeds? Why not just pretend the time interval for the turn halved? As for weapons ranges, you would run on number 200, not 255 - anything above 200 you can leave as it is. The only problem I see with 25m hex is really just the burst radius.

Re source code, I also believe only Don and Andy are allowed to tinker with it. Being a non-programmer, I am glad the tentacles of C spaghetti stays where it is and does not endanger bystanders
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM

Corporal

Kartoffel is on a distinguished road

Why could he leave anything above 200 as is?

--------St. Thomas Aquinas