.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 4th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One map move, and what it it means

Quote:
Gregstrom said:

The list seems to be mostly mapmove 2 types. A lot of the mapmove 1 units seem reasonable (Agarthan units sort of suit being a bit slow and plodding strategically, and it seems fair that the Arcoscephalians are a bit sedentary), and giving the mapmove 1 high mages extra strategic speed would be quite a balance change.

I actually agree that most the map move 1 stuff can be justified, individually. But don't many of the map move 2 mages strike you as odd given that many perfectly healthy commanders no where near the age theshhold can only move 1? Nornas, Arcane Magisters, Lore Masters, Sages, Grand Thoumaturg, High Priest of the Sun, Ancestor Smith, Bakemono Sorcerer compared against Spirit Guides, Sequani Stargazers, Earth Readers, and Alchemists of the Five Elements. A durther oddity with the Alchemist of the Five Elements, that he can move only one but the older Imperial Alchemist with more magic moves 2. And of course it's fine to call witches outdoorsy types... but where does that leave poor Marverni's map move 1 druids?
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Corporal

Evil Dave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
... but where does that leave poor Marverni's map move 1 druids?
They keep getting distracted by the pretty trees and flowers they like so much.

I agree that how map move is determined is pretty strange. I've found it odd that the afflictions "limp" and "crippled" don't reduce map move, too.

Have too may pretender files to keep track of? Use catgod to view them.
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

I guess in the same vein the Spirit Guides spend half their time in a trance, the stargazers stay up all night stargazing and are too worn out to travel in the day and the alchemist spends most of his time stoked up on the latest distillates (the Imperial Alchemist has learnt better with age)

I guess I view mapmove 2 as a sort of default capability for a healthy, motivated individual (of any age - there are enough elderly hikers out there who I can't keep up with). Units with move 1 are being slowed down by something, be it infirmity, personality, size, weight or just disinclination to hurry.

I completely agree with Evil Dave that some afflictions should reduce map move (probably to a minimum of 1). That would be a great thing to mod in.

And special afflictions for old age would be cool (if perhaps impossible). Arthritis could reduce map movement and increase encumbrance in cold provinces, for instance.

Want to use multiple mods? The Mod Compatibility Index might be useful.
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gregstrom said:
I guess I view mapmove 2 as a sort of default capability for a healthy, motivated individual (of any age - there are enough elderly hikers out there who I can't keep up with). Units with move 1 are being slowed down by something, be it infirmity, personality, size, weight or just disinclination to hurry.

That's fine, as far it goes, but some commanders are much more of a stretch to be map move 2 than others. What it boils down to is that while I'm sure IW had some rational for each of the units they made map move 1, I don't think they really went back and compared them to units which should have also been map move 1 for the same reasons.

Quote:

I completely agree with Evil Dave that some afflictions should reduce map move (probably to a minimum of 1). That would be a great thing to mod in.

It's not moddable, and even if it were easy for IW to do, I doubt it would happen. People would get far to annoyed hunting for the one crippled troop slowing down the whole stack.
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

At the other end of the scale are Clockwork Horrors. They get exhausted just trying to cross the battlefield but they have move 3. That only makes sense if they are piled in wagon pulled by something undead.
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wick said:
At the other end of the scale are Clockwork Horrors. They get exhausted just trying to cross the battlefield but they have move 3. That only makes sense if they are piled in wagon pulled by something undead.
The exhaustion is so bad that clockwork horrors have very limited uses. The exhaustion makes their protection virtually useless by round 3.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

Humakty is on a distinguished road

I think the explanation for the extraordinary exhaustion of clockworks in combat is that using their weapons in their frenetical manner uses up all their energy. Every one knows 100 miles a day is a pretty easy distance to cover. On foot. I do it every now and often.

Senior member of the GLIN !