.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Sergeant

reverend is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Editor Questions

I recently started making a few maps based loosely on the area in which I live. Doing so brought up some questions, please forgive me if they've been asked before, it's my first attempt at creating maps or scenarios.

1) Is it possible to place walls on the map or do I have to use hedgerows as a substitute?

2) Can I place fences during map editing or only during scenario design?

3) Is there a way to add random noise to level terrain, to counter the flatness of the predefined levels?

4) Currently I use a copy/paste 'brush' of clear terrain and the two short grasses to create some visual variety, I guess this is the correct way in order to liven up the flat green areas of a map?

5) Are fields always a rectangle north by east, or can the be placed slanted like roads? The reason is the hedgerows or roads on the outline of fields can't be placed in a smooth north-south line.

6) What is the commonly accepted representation of an airfield runway? So far I use pavement hexes with a primary road placed on them. For smaller airfields (non concrete runways) I'm a bit undecided what would look best. Bare earth with a secondary road maybe?

And some more scenario questions:

7) Is the AI better at assault or defense? I guess that for a proper assault I have to use waypoints to guide the AI, can I define 'hold' points for defense as well?

8) I already found out that by placing an ammo container with zero crew, I get a nice explosion on the first turn - can this be used with reinforcements to create a timebomb that will go off some time into the game?

9) Any rule of thumb about the length of a scenario, based on force and map size?

I hope the questions aren't too dumb, I tried reading through the various posts on the SPMBT and SPWW2 scenario boards. It seems that with every question I see answered, two more pop up when I think about what I could do on a specific map.