This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old October 17th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Private

Demtrek is on a distinguished road
Default Molotov Cocktails, Whats the deal?

So here I am playing a huge epic campainge against the computer as Germany, of course, how can you resist all the different options you have.

Anyway, my tank force is mainly Panzer 3e's and 4e's.

I get Yugoslavia as an oppenet. I run into the main bulk of there forces which is pretty much all infintry with rifles and molotov cocktails. So hell, I decide to retreat my panzer grenadiers and up come the tanks.

I am not historian on the effectiveness of molotov cocktails, but if they work that good why did any army ever use anything else.

Out of 30 tanks 23 were destroyed. Now, it got to the point after the first 10 or so I was starting to experiment a little to see if it was just luck, so I would just move them up to the hex on purpose. But what the heck I think they only failed on assults once or twice. Otherwise it was bye bye panzer. Were bottles of flamming gas really the effective vrs tanks? Keep in mind these were top of the line tanks for 1941-42.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Molotov Cocktails, Whats the deal?

Believe me, I know what it's like to lose all your tanks in a campaign

Well I don't know much about that, but remember tank vision is pretty limited so I imagine it probably wouldnt be to hard to destroy it.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Molotovs are one of the best AT weapons in the SP series since they are flame weapons. SP has always rated flame highly, though we have actually toned them down as anti tank weapons. That is why infantry elements with flame AT weapons cost more than the equivalent with e.g. an AT mine.

Burning petrol being introduced into the engine compartment was actually rather dangerous, especially to early AFV with no fire suppressant systems and petrol engines.

Cheers
Andy
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Historically, Molotov cocktails were pretty effective if you could manage to throw them on the engine deck. Burning gasoline leaking through the air intake grating was quite likely to cause the hot engine to catch fire. AFAIK it took quite a long time to develop tanks that would be properly protected against them.

Molotov cocktails were also very easy and cheap to manufacture. Main problem that to use them effectively, you needed to be very close to the tank, which would be rather unnerving and dangerous to the infantry.

Demtrek, I am afraid that there was a problem in your tactical approach - you should not let usually let the enemy infantry to get to the hex next to your tank (remember, you can easily fall back from the way of advancing enemy infantry), and you definitely should not advance that close to the enemy.

In close terrain, it might be desirable to advance an infantry screen one hex ahead the tanks to prevent surprise ambushes by enemy infantry hiding in the bushes.

Griefbringer
Old October 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,700 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demtrek View Post
I decide to retreat my panzer grenadiers and up come the tanks.

Retreating your infantry was, to be as polite as possible,really not the best tactical option you could have selected under the circumstances you describe. Tanks without supporting infantry are dead meat unless you are fighting an enemy with absolutely no anti tank capability.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:42 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demtrek View Post
I decide to retreat my panzer grenadiers and up come the tanks.

Retreating your infantry was, to be as polite as possible,really not the best tactical option you could have selected under the circumstances you describe. Tanks without supporting infantry are dead meat unless you are fighting an enemy with absolutely no anti tank capability.

Don

Quite

Infantry (including those mounted on HT) spot enemy infantry more easily than the tanks will, proved you slow down to a couple of hexes or so advance.

- Spotted infantry close assault at a worse rate (or rather, unspotted, stationary grunts will ambush your armour better!)

- Enemy infantry may open fire on any dismounted infantry you have accompanying your tanks, thus revealing their locations. They may do the same to any tank riders, and tank riders also help spotting and may act as reactive armour to defuse assaults too.

- Spotted enemy infantry can then be shot up. Pinned infantry assault at a lowered rate, if you really still want to move into the adjacent hex with your armour. But best not to close with enemy infantry with armour - "Track attacks" are really myth, as it can be rather bloody for a tank to charge into a spotted retreating section only to find a couple of adjacent unspotted supports!. Best to shoot them down from 2-3 hexes.

- Pinned infantry assault at a lower rate - repeated for emphasis. Use your mortars to plaster the ground ahead of your intended advance to inconvenience any as yet unspotted enemy grunts. Use the mortars to plaster any retreating enemy sections as well.

See the GG section "Game Play Notes" - e.g. paragraph beginning "Even if you are a 'tankie' you will need some infantry.."

Cheers
Andy
Old October 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

I just read an account by Von Ribbentrop ('a Panzer ace').

His tanks got ahead of their infantry and were going through a Russian held village. He felt a large explosion on his tank.

He radioed the tank following him to ask what happened, and that tank commander said something like 'errr... that was me, you had a Russian on the back of your tank with a Molotov cocktail so we shot an HE shell at him!'

Von Ribbentrop asked why they hadn't used the bow MG. Turns out it was jammed, and they believed they only had seconds to save Von Ribbentrops tank.

I thought that example of shooting a friendly tank with HE, was good illustration of how seriously the German tankers took Molotov cocktails.
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:58 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

Hi Andy
I see
Ive always wondered if the cost of the 32cm Wurfgerat "flame rocket" of 41 with a HE Kill 59 is a bit high compared to the 30cm Wurfgerat "HE rocket" with a cost of 15 and a HE Kill of 55? Units 458 and 459 German OOB.
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Those flame rockets are nasty, at least against infantry - at least massive amounts of suppression if you manage to land a rocket in the same hex.
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,446 Times in 2,700 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Which is why they are priced so high and that's not going to change

Don