The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old September 9th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Sergeant

wilhil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How about another SE:V update?

Quote:
Atrocities said:

What I will miss most that is not in SE V that was in SE IV, is the fact that you can no longer colonize planets. This whole new SFI inspired colonization system just doesn't work right. You can't colonize, well you can, but the worlds have to be JUST like your planet type that match your size, atmosphere, BBHT make up, and so on. Gone are the days of old when you could colonize any planet that you had technology for.

Add in the fact that your fleets are now automated, man that sucks. The AI decides where, when, and how much to fleet. And you can't even build bases now... they have to be assembled and then upgraded ala GalCiv style.

Gone are the days of old when a player could control every aspect of his empire from set up through operation. More and more of the game is being ported to AI control in order to give the player less to do. (Less micromanagement)

Even the fonts in the game have been changed. The are now fuzzy and lack the depth that were in previous games.

The only thing inovative about this game now is the 3d map that we see in the screen shots and even that is being reviewed for possible changes by the new SFI SE V Quality Programing Team (QPT). Most likely because the 3d map comes at a performance price that will force most people to upgrade to at least a Nvida FX 5700 ultra or Raddeon 9800 to run.

I don't know, but I think the bean counters and marketing people over at SFI have way to much control over the game. I mean wanting to reclassify it as a Civ based Turn game over 4x is just wrong. IT'S not a Civ based turn game, its a Expand, Exploit, Explore, and Exterminate game. Oh wait, the Exterminate part has been toned way down do to the new game labeling laws. The Exploit part was cut out to save programing space and time in order to get the game to the store sooner, and the Explore function was relagated to AI control so that its all automated now. Even ship design is automated now.

And changing the name.... that was just what turned me off to the whole thing. Well I guess the code name, SE V, will do until the official new name is posted. (You won't like the new name but the NDA prevents me from telling you so you'll have to wait.)

Lets face it, this isn't your space empires game kids, its theirs and its not Space Empires.
hopefully no one else said this... is he turning SE 5 in to moo3?

you forgot to add, you can order a few things, but when you do, the computer ignores it and does something completly diffrent.... (worst money i ever spent on that game!)
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:48 AM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Puke has spies inside everybody...
*Groan*

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:00 AM

Colonel

Loser is on a distinguished road

And then there's the part where the AI lands troops on a planet and, rudely interrupting ground combat, proceeds to obliterate the entire planet from orbit.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:08 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

Whew! I'm glad AT was just kidding. Got me worried for a minute there when I started reading that post.
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Congratulations Fyron. That has to the creepiest thing I have read on these boards!

*shudders*
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

For the record, SE 5 is Nothing like Moo3. I know I poked some fun at it, but honestly Aaron is way to dedicated to ever allow anyone to dictate how his games are going to be. SE 5 will not dissapoint and is so much better than MOO3, even in the early stages of beta, that to compare them would be like comparing a Soviet made T32 to an M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank.
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Raging Deadstar said:
Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
Congratulations Fyron. That has to the creepiest thing I have read on these boards!

*shudders*
ROFLMAO - Thats a good one! [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Envy.gif[/img]
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:19 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Imperator Fyron said:

Puke: Agent Chunky, report.
Agent Chunky: Well, the subject's upper digestional tract has been showing some increased acidic activity these last few weeks sir, which indicates an elevated level of stress. Based on this, I think he's planning an assault on your homeworld- probably a carrier fleet, with some drone carriers for recon. I'd recommend seeding the warp points with Point defence sats.
Puke: I see. Does Agent Bile concur with your analysis?
Agent Chunky: I regret to report that Agent Bile was flushed last week sir, following an unfortunate incident involving the subject, 8 pints of Mexican lager and a dodgy kebab. I was lucky not to escape myself, Sir.
Puke: I'm sorry to hear that. Anything else to report?
Agent Chunky: There have been rumblings from the gastric ulcer about research into stellar manipulation technologies, but those are unsubstantiated as yet, Sir.
Puke: Good work Agent...
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:19 AM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

The only thing you need to know about se5 is that it will have a built in cheat code (that only I and Aaron Know) so that I can finally win a game. Unfortunately Aaron is planning on disabling this 'essential' feature when I play in multi-palyer mode. (which means I'll be dying on turn 32 or 41 on a good day.)

lol, Cheers!

P.S. Great spoof post AT.
Old September 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

David, just remember "You are not alone!"