War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old January 9th, 2015, 04:35 PM

Private

Don Con is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Modern Campaigns and Scenarios for WinSPMBT

Hi All,

Just re-installing the game after quite a time away.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend some good Modern Europe (2000 = 2020) or Warsaw Pact Vs NATO Campaigns / Scenarios and advise on which side you played.

Thanks,
Don
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:07 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite Modern Campaigns and Scenarios for WinSPMBT

Welcome back prodigal son! The only WP vs NATO scenarios I played were #33, Blackhorse! and #143, Soviet Glory. Both are very good IMO.

Blackhorse is a screening delay by US armored cavalry. You're supposed to fall back while inflicting casualties on advancing hordes of Soviet armor and motorized infantry. Unfortunately I lingered too long in most places and wound up reclaiming VH's using surviving infantry playing hide-and-seek with Red Army armor in the last town on the southern map-edge. Not very heroic but I did manage to eke out a marginal win what with all the Russian wreckage littering the roads and landscape, which far outnumbered my own. On a second try I'd be considerably more respectful of enemy firepower, keeping a much greater distance between them and my guys, plus be especially careful with ammo expenditure over 35 turns.

Soviet Glory is a meeting engagement with West Germany. As usual in such scenarios I rushed forward with all due caution to grab unclaimed (plus one Wessie) objectives on my side of the stream. After that I managed to cross one bridge and gain a foothold on the western side, getting lucky with infantry against enemy attack helos at one point. From then on it was a matter of slowly expanding my "bridgehead" while beating off counterattacking Wessies. You don't get any artillery in this so it's all up to the frontline grunts and tankers. Despite losing several tanks the Sovs--along with a depleted Ossie infantry company--took all objectives and destroyed enough enemy equipment to secure a DV. Now that was fun!

Hope this helps you out a little. Cheers and happy gaming!
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:42 PM

Private

Excellent Information Jivemi - thank you.

I have recently been playing some John Tiller games in the same time period / region and it will be quite interesting to see if the same problems seen at an Operational Level also significantly impact the tactical action.

In the Operational series, the overwhelming Warsaw Pact numerical superiority was often quite well offset by NATO air superiority, Electronic Warfare, Low Soviet troop morale and vehicle break-downs. The Soviets on the other hand could also initiate Chemical Warfare and tactical nuclear strikes (with consequences).

It made for some very interesting scenarios where NATO quality and strength in the Air needed to be leveraged in order to achieve victory.

Best regards,
Don
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

There are some scenarios done in Norway (#134 Norwegian Battlefield) and Italy (#136 The Defense of Dobbiaco) that are interesting to play to because they're not NATOs best vs Cat 'A' Soviets.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,709 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Scenarios 28 and 29
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:39 AM

Private

Thanks for the additional suggestions guys ...

Did anyone try the modern day Soviet vs. Finns set? Seems to be a whole group of linked scenarios that ends in Norway ...

Only down side seems to be that the series runs out before there is a reversal of momentum and playable scenarios for the West / Finns.

Still sounds interesting though ...