.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 26th, 2023, 09:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Omaha Beach - Scen #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

I may try bombarding a test multi hex building with an SU-152 in direct fire mode and see if blowing the registration hex to blazes with that mode of fire also shows the problem - it would be far simpler for testing than randomly pounding the ground with all the heavy artillery of a corps to see the effect.
You will find that EXTREMELY unproductive

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 26th, 2023, 10:20 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Omaha Beach - Scen #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
When I have seen building do the vanishing trick, it's normally in a large urban area, the Battle for Rome scenario is one that I have seen in, I think it was that, need to check again, but it cost me a vehicle when I went cool clear terrain and found out other wise as drove into the wrong hex without paying attention to things.
And we have this

If you see that message even if you don't see a building don't press Y. ASSUME the building is there, you just don't see it

We are actively looking into a solution for this but there are warnings......don't ignore them

Yeah...this was BEFORE the warning thing was a thing so what looked clear open terrain wasn't. Now I am much more careful in urban fights. like no tanks through buildings at all. I let the AI do that.
Old October 28th, 2023, 09:00 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,443 Times in 2,699 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Omaha Beach - Scen #9

Here is what I know after a lot of testing

First some background
// pattern for multi hex buildings in code is:
// X X X X
// X X X X
// X X X X
This is a line of code that represents a multi-hex building

{0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0}

so that building would look like this

In that example the outlined red hex is the registration hex
  1. The real issue has nothing to do with rough terrain or paved road that is put under some of the multi-hex buildings
  2. The real issue is the creation of rubble in the registration hex of the multi-hex building changes the terrain under the registration hex.......sometimes...... the creation of rubble there does not always 100% make the building invisible
  3. There are multi-hex buildings that do not have part of the building in the registration hex. Those buildings will not go invisible during gameplay because no rubble is created where there is no building in the hex to turn to rubble
  4. If a multi-hex building is placed on a map using either the in-game map editor or the advanced editor and the registration hex is turned to rubble using the "add heavy damage" button the building will disappear and re-appear almost instantly and it may show faster or slower depending on the speed of your PC
  5. Once a building has been restored that way I have not yet been able to get it to disappear after it was restored

There is code that fixes buildings that Andy put in years ago

The "trick" right now is finding the spot it is put into the map-making code that fixes the buildings while heavy damage is applied and then figuring out where the ideal place for this would be in the general game code so that this issue is no longer a problem......

...and it IS a problem for all games that have multi hex buildings in them that have a "building" in the registration hexes but it is less of an issue with PBEM as there IS a restore code that is activated when a game is saved and then restarted as would be normal for PBEM. Where this is a problem is when game turns are played one after the other without saving and restarting the game from a save

So now you know what we know, rest assured we are looking into it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	multi.png
Views:	123
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	16943  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; October 28th, 2023 at 09:15 AM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: