Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:20 AM

Private

Chicken George is on a distinguished road
Default 2 questions from a new guy

Hi could someone answer these 2 questions please.

1. When using a Striker (UK) and wanting to fire a swingfire is there a minimum range for this? As i have tried to fire but cannot (if so where is this minimum range displayed?).

2. When firing tanks at infantry for example..is HE automatically selected or do i have to do something to load it?

Thankyou.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 questions from a new guy

Great question, don't know or remember if the minimum range has been implemented in the game code for ATGMs, but were you firing manually or was it opportunity fire?, in certain cases i've seen that the AI is picky when firing atgms thru op fire, i don't know what the OP fire game parameters are for this but I do know that in the game for some ATGMs (falanga and malutka missiles for example) very close distances (say about less than 800-500 meters) reduce accuracy.

Tanks select ammo automatically when firing, when firing against infantry they will fire HE, if they run out of HE and have HEAT ammo available they will select that type when firing against infantry.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM

Corporal

whdonnelly is on a distinguished road

When you click on Striker info screen, it should show 80:3 for the missile system range, (max 80, min 3) and 24:0 for the aamg,which represents a max of 24 and no minimum range. Hope this helps
Have a great day
Will
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

Note that atgms are best used at great ranges 3/4 of it's max is what you should aim for, and if you're on the minimum range, you're usually too close to be accurate, and any unguided LAW type weapon should do the job.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:08 AM

Private

Chicken George is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice chaps.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken George View Post
Hi could someone answer these 2 questions please.

2. When firing tanks at infantry for example..is HE automatically selected or do i have to do something to load it?

Thankyou.
It (or possibly HEAT) is if it's available.
The 120mm didn't have a HE round the first few years it was in service, then someone suddenly noticed tanks sometimes have to shoot at things besides other tanks.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 4th, 2011, 03:50 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

There are of course also cases where a weapon range is the same number, 24:24
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
The 120mm didn't have a HE round the first few years it was in service, then someone suddenly noticed tanks sometimes have to shoot at things besides other tanks.
AFAIK there is not a straight HE round in widespread use for the 120mm guns of the L44 famility. The USA has MPAT, but that is an HEAT round fitted with a discarding sabot and a proxy fuze. Basically a jack of all trades master of none meant to be used against helicopters, low end AFVs (in a pinch) and soft targets. The israelis have worked on an APAM round, but that is a submunition antipersonnel round, not classic HE. IIRC some nordic nation had modified some 120mm mortar shells to be fired from the Leopard 2guns, IDK if it made into service.
I have never heard of something comparable to the OF-26 being adopted by 120mm users.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
AFAIK there is not a straight HE round in widespread use for the 120mm guns of the L44 famility. The USA has MPAT, but that is an HEAT round fitted with a discarding sabot and a proxy fuze. Basically a jack of all trades master of none meant to be used against helicopters, low end AFVs (in a pinch) and soft targets. The israelis have worked on an APAM round, but that is a submunition antipersonnel round, not classic HE. IIRC some nordic nation had modified some 120mm mortar shells to be fired from the Leopard 2guns, IDK if it made into service.
I have never heard of something comparable to the OF-26 being adopted by 120mm users.
I REALLY need to learn not to speak generically on these forums.

I gather you're referring to :

"The M830A1 HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) round, recently fielded for the M1A1 and M1A2 Main Battle Tank, is a major advancement over its predecessor, the M830, which has been in the US inventory since the early '80s. HEAT rounds have multi-purpose warheads which are used to defeat armored vehicles, helicopters and soft targets such as bunkers. The M830A1 adds higher velocity launch, increased armor penetration capability and selectable fuzing which allows for the engagement of a variety of targets. The M830A1 is unique in that it features a three-piece discarding aluminum sabot, a feature normally associated with kinetic energy projectiles. The sabot allows a lighter flight projectile which can be flown to greater ranges than could the M830. The M830A1 also mounts a proximity switch on the flight projectile nose. Manually set upon gun loading, this allows the M1A1/M1A2 tank to self-defend against attacking helicopters with the 120mm main gun, a capability never before possessed by a Main Battle Tank. The multi-purpose cartridge is also extremely effective against buildings, bunkers, and light armored vehicles. The M830A1 was fielded in 1994 and is currently still in production."

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Private

Hviid is on a distinguished road

[quote=Marcello;778302]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
IIRC some nordic nation had modified some 120mm mortar shells to be fired from the Leopard 2guns, IDK if it made into service.
I know Denmark havn't tried this. We only use HEAT and cannister (buckshot) for LEO 2 in Afghanistan.
We have reentered new 120mm Mortars into service in order to provide instant fire support. Rumers says the the 120mm was chosen, so we could use our big bulk of 120mm ammo from the cold war...

BTW, do we have any ammo type representing the cannister (it's awsome area fire (Z-key))