.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excellent software for mapmakers

Its seems abit squarish in the way it does its tiles. I suppose that could be smoothed out abit in a paint program.

Im thinking I might prefer to take things from the image and use it to add some variety to Dom3 generated maps.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Its seems abit squarish in the way it does its tiles. I suppose that could be smoothed out abit in a paint program.

Im thinking I might prefer to take things from the image and use it to add some variety to Dom3 generated maps.
It takes minutes to correct those tiles with Adobe Photoshop or Corel. In fact paint programs are excellent to improve the quality of the generated terrains/maps, regardless of what editor did we used to make them.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM

Major

Okay, I've made a test with the Kohan map editor.
I've also added test borders.

I think that it looks good.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM

Major

Yet another one.

Old September 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM

Major

..and one more.
Sadly this is Kohan Immortal Sovereigns, not the expansion, so I dont have snow mountains in the editor for example.

Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:34 AM

Major

Age of Wonders 2. Shadow Magic editor. I knew that I bought this game, and I've found it finally.

Test screenie with test borders. I've also added a small hill, you can see it on the right side of the mountains below the border. [The AoW editor doesnt contains hills so I had to draw it.] I've also modified some parts of the screenie already, because the AoW editor maps are a bit pixelated.

This is definitely looking awesome to make Doms 3. maps, however a decent pain program is needed to rise the quality of the maps.

PS. Gandalf if you manage to take a look at these screenies...what do you think, which editor is better to make maps? Kohan or AoW2?. Personally I cannot decide it.

Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

There is never a best, only pros and cons.

We can certainly use some maps done by any generator. You are proving that. I like the variety for things like tree types and wasteland. I like special icons like a skull mountain or a sorcerors tower that a special province can be built around. I like that they will allow creating continent-style maps, temperature zone maps with jungles in the middle and snow at top and bottom, and also maps that can be wrapped.

On the other hand.. The mountains need abit squashed. Especially in the Kohan maps. They are great barriers but they dont look like livable provinces to me.

They might also be abit to visualy busy for good play. A person might want to create two versions. A jpg for web display, and a tga or rpg version that is globally softened in a paint program so that map features are a soft background impression that wont get in the way of seeing the game graphics while you play. A soft "impression" of mountains and forest and swamp in the background that the game plays on top of.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM

Major

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
There is never a best, only pros and cons.

We can certainly use some maps done by any generator. You are proving that. I like the variety for things like tree types and wasteland. I like special icons like a skull mountain or a sorcerors tower that a special province can be built around. I like that they will allow creating continent-style maps, temperature zone maps with jungles in the middle and snow at top and bottom, and also maps that can be wrapped.

On the other hand.. The mountains need abit squashed. Especially in the Kohan maps. They are great barriers but they dont look like livable provinces to me.

They might also be abit to visualy busy for good play. A person might want to create two versions. A jpg for web display, and a tga or rpg version that is globally softened in a paint program so that map features are a soft background impression that wont get in the way of seeing the game graphics while you play. A soft "impression" of mountains and forest and swamp in the background that the game plays on top of.

Gandalf Parker

Indeed, I had the same feeling about those Kohan maps. Provinces don't look like provinces actually. I think that the mountains in Kohan are too big. Actually these things can be solved, however overall imho the AoW 2 editor is better to make Doms 3. maps.

Anyways I still say that the best would be to create 2d maps, not isometric maps.
That would be the best for dominions. Take a look at this awesome overland screenshot Gandalf. IF we could make overland maps like this.....but it is impossible sadly.

Old September 23rd, 2006, 06:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yep those are great.
Well there are more games we can dig thru
Old September 24th, 2006, 05:32 AM

Major

Gandalf, I've found the perfect map editor to make Doms 3. maps. [at least I hope so]
My friend will introduce it to me today afternoon. I've already seen 2 screenshots from that editor and imho that will be the best.
Sadly I don't have that game, but my friend does, so I will be able to make screenies today.
Stay tuned.