.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Major General

Executor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Cheapest Trick in the Book!

I think unrest can go up to only 500.
And you need an army to kill and pillage a province, and if you have an army you can maybe defeat the enemy, and if you can defeat the enemy than no need to pillage your own lands.
But yes if you know there's apsolutly no chance of victory and want to do as much damage as possible cause it's a tricky game, cause you can go from 40 lands to just your capital, and again to owning 40 lands, and so on.
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglobob View Post
Spiteful? How about bane venom charms on black servants sneaking about your opponents lands.
That's not spiteful! That's just good business practice, a friendly boost to the health sector of your neighbor's economy. Keep the doctors and nurses busy and whatnot.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Ah, vfb, that armageddon comment on the first page cracked me up. Who knows why

Also, unrest is max 500. I know, my capitol has it in Discharge.

But what really annoys people up is a huge van army sitting in their lands, grabbing 15-ish provinces in one turn, then moving out with taxes at 200 to siege all the castles they can horde to. Add in a friendly neighbor of Helheim who's doing the same at exactly the same time to the same target, and you've got a nice economic crumble in one turn.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

There is a strategic purpose to being spiteful - you will very likely play against your opponents again. Who would you attack, all else being equal? A player who goes AI as soon as they are losing, or someone who fights tooth and nail to the end and sows his fields with salt as the enemy army invades?
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM

General

You're not going to improve your game much by always fighting the guy who goes AI.

I really think it's best to ignore which player is playing which nation, and just base your decisions on the individual circumstances of each game.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar
There is a strategic purpose to being spiteful - you will very likely play against your opponents again. Who would you attack, all else being equal? A player who goes AI as soon as they are losing, or someone who fights tooth and nail to the end and sows his fields with salt as the enemy army invades?
That's a bit the same as I will never trust that guy that backstabbed me once.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM

First Lieutenant

Dragar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post
You're not going to improve your game much by always fighting the guy who goes AI.

I really think it's best to ignore which player is playing which nation, and just base your decisions on the individual circumstances of each game.
In a multiplayer game do you try and take out an (in your estimation) easy target first to grow, or fight an equally sized and skilled opponent such that you both fall behind?

Absolutely you have to look at a lot besides the player, but it is almost never irrelevant. I've got a couple of games now where I'm on the way out, but I never want people to think I'm a pushover..
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:38 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfb View Post

In a multiplayer game do you try and take out an (in your estimation) easy target first to grow, or fight an equally sized and skilled opponent such that you both fall behind?
I'll fight a larger opponent if I have a temporary or national advantage against him, and leave smaller nations alone if they are not a threat. If I'm at a disadvantage for whatever reason, then I'll do some diplomacy and see if I can get someone else to gang up on my perceived enemy. If there's a nation who is both bigger than me and has a national advantage, and I can't convince anyone else to go to war with him, then I'll be likely to leave him alone, if peace is an option.

The one thing I won't do is attack (or not attack) a nation because of the person who is playing that nation.

Quote:
Absolutely you have to look at a lot besides the player, but it is almost never irrelevant. I've got a couple of games now where I'm on the way out, but I never want people to think I'm a pushover..
Of course, I agree that the threat posed by (or vulnerability of) a nation depends on who the player is. I just won't base my decisions on that.
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Major General

Yes you fight stronger players at the begining before they get to powerful, and than you roll over the weaker nations after.
Eliminating the good players early on is much better IMO.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Major General

Hm, I just tried something very interesting, but unfortunantly it doesn't work, nice idea doe.
I've put a few charmers with penetration items along with 10 PD, and cast ghost rider on my own army. The mages all aim only the commander since the horsman are mindless but he doesn't stick around after the battle, sadly...