Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old January 5th, 2012, 01:24 AM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road
Default Assault Question

I have a question about points and assaults. I am playing a campaign with a Russian VDV company and and T90 in 2011. The assault was vs Red. When it came to picking my support points I didn't pick anything figuring that the Reds would only get about a company and T90's worth of men. I ended up with a marginal victory.

I took a look at what the Reds had after the game and it looked like about 3 companies worth of infantry, 2 mortar and 2 factorias. That seems excessive.

Does the AI use all the support points available even though I didn't use mine? I had always thought that the AI based what they got off the point of the player side.
Old January 5th, 2012, 02:56 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Assault Question

The AI has it's own picklist you can't predict what it will pick,within force pt value,thats the game ,if it was easy no one would like it. What do you want? the AI dumb down more than it already is?.
Generally however the AI will buy the cheapest nastiest units to make your life hellish as possible,at least i hope so

Last edited by gila; January 5th, 2012 at 03:17 AM..
Old January 5th, 2012, 03:30 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreedon View Post
I ended up with a marginal victory.

I took a look at what the Reds had after the game and it looked like about 3 companies worth of infantry, 2 mortar and 2 factorias. That seems excessive.
Since when a marginal victory is a loss??and worth complaining about the advantage the AI had??
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:03 AM

Corporal

KAreil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Does the AI use all the support points available even though I didn't use mine? I had always thought that the AI based what they got off the point of the player side.

As far as I know, you are right.
The AI uses a relative number (depending on battle-type) to the points you REALLY SPENT.

And I would never NEVER complain about a "Marginal Victory"...if you want more challenge just pick a map with better terrain for the AI...
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Captain

A simple reality check is in order here.

Firstly, if you don't lose,then don't complain.

Second,it's just a G-A-M-E and not real life after all!
Old January 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM

Private

Judicator65 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what "factorias" are, but T90s are _very_ expensive. A T90 is worth something like 400-500 points for just a single tank. Most infantry are worth maybe 30 points per unit. This means that (not counting the assault part for now) a single T90 is worth more than an entire rifle company. Also don't forget that experience (over 70) will increase the value of your units, so that 500 point T90 may be considered to be worth 600 points if it's veteran (Red forces are usually very poor experience wise, so they may even be worth less than the listed Encyclopedia value). Russian Airbourne companies are similar; the base Russian Airbourne Company (sans transports) is worth between 700-2100 points, depending on unit selections. The most expensive Red standard Rifle company I can get is something like 350 points... so again, a single Russian Airbourne company is worth between 2 and 6(!) Red Rifle companies.

This brings up the other half; because your units are so much more expensive compared to the Red side, every unit you lose is worth a lot more points, and counts more heavily against you in the final accounting. Heck, if they managed to take out your T90 (assuming you only had 1), they just managed to take out between a 20%-33% of your entire force! Similarly, you have to kill at least 2 of their men for every one of yours that you lose just to get a draw. That's the downside of playing with "elite" forces against conscript-style armies; you tend to get swarmed under by cheap units, that oftentimes you can't shoot fast enough to kill them all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Judicator65 For This Useful Post:
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:51 PM

Sergeant

cbreedon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAreil View Post
Quote:

The AI uses a relative number (depending on battle-type) to the points you REALLY SPENT.

And I would never NEVER complain about a "Marginal Victory"...if you want more challenge just pick a map with better terrain for the AI...
If I am the attacker in an assault, I would think the AI would have less men than me since in standard 'doctrine' they say you should out number your opposition by 3 to 1.

It just seemed odd to me that I was outnumbered by 3 to 1... The T-90 did have some of the offset by I think factorias (ATGM's) aren't cheap..

I am not complaining about anything... I am just asking how the AI calculates what it picks. That was the purpose of the post...
Old January 5th, 2012, 10:58 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAreil View Post
Quote:

If I am the attacker in an assault, I would think the AI would have less men than me since in standard 'doctrine' they say you should out number your opposition by 3 to 1.

It just seemed odd to me that I was outnumbered by 3 to 1... The T-90 did have some of the offset by I think factorias (ATGM's) aren't cheap..

I am not complaining about anything... I am just asking how the AI calculates what it picks. That was the purpose of the post...
The AI force equals 40% of your force when defending an assault. You could choose 12 500 pt tanks (6000) and be defending against 2400 (6000 x 0.40) points worth of mixed infantry, artillery, and armor. Or any other mix depending on Country, Timeframe, and opponent always equal to about 2400 pts.
Old January 7th, 2012, 05:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Any battle, no matter if it's Assault/Defend or Delay/Advance or Meeting Engagement or whatever combination you choose the ration is by POINTS ONLY and not.....repeat..... NOT the total number of men so if you buy lot's of armour and the AI buys mainly infantry ( as it may depending on the nation it is buying for ) then naturally the AI will have more men in relation to your side because there may only be 3 or 4 men in a tank worth 500 points and 500 points can buy a lot of infantry if that nation doesn't have a lot of high tech toys for it's boys to carry around.

Don