.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 21st, 2007, 02:26 AM

Corporal

Forrest is on a distinguished road
Default Frost Brand rules

I sent a Jotun Herse with a Frost Brand and heroic quickness, backed by 2 Neifel Giant bodyguards (chill 15) and 10 Jotun spearmen against 5 Marverni commanders and 84 units. Least ways that is what was there when he got there.

Thats 37 Ambibate Noble warriors, 11 Canute Noble warriors, 18 Horse tribe cavalry, and 19 fluff.

The 10 Spearmen traded their lives for 6 troops in a poor showing.

My Herse with two body guards took out 41 and 4 commanders. The herse took out 20 troops and 3 commanders. Not bad for $60 unit with a 5 gem sword.

The $300 worth of bodyguards made it possible. Money well spent. They make great bodyguards.
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Frost Brand rules

I'd say it was the combination of fatigue and auras that did in those troops. By the time they got in range, they were probably frozen and in the way of troops that could actually do damage. Slay, rinse, repeat. I've had Niefel Jarls take on 70+ Tritons with middle-tier equipment this way.
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDisAwesome is on a distinguished road

As far as SC's go, the most efficient for big battles doesn't do it's damage through attacks. It's done through shields and auras.
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Unless you manage to get some sort of insane heroic quickness and use an AoE weapon(probably a brand) i agree with auras and shield doing more damage although in some cases(particularly when making some cheap raiding thugs ect) a brand and quickness can do some serious damage.
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

With Wave Breaker and quicken self, you can attack six times a round. But Frost Brand allows my pretender to wield a shield. OTOH, any pretender I'd give Wave Breaker to would probably have awe, maybe 10 magic bonus to defense, before other things are factored in.

So, with an awe 2, high defense Son of the Sea or Father of Frost, what would you take as equipment (esp as LA Atlantis)?

I tried out the Father of Frost, liked him, but had a lot of trouble scrounging up any equipment for him since the only non-random magic I have is water and death, all other paths were only available on capital-only mages who were to expensive to have site searching early on.
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road

i tend to research construction pretty late with LA Atlantis. I prefer to push the research up the conjuration path and the Evocation path. conjuration for the remote sight searching for water and death. winter wolves and shades for early gem use. then to spectres to get some magic diversity which you need desperatly. evocation for falling frost which is one my favorite spells to spam.So, that leaves me to equip SC's with trinket stuff. I usually will just use a ice sword, blacksteel shield, blacksteel helmet and plate using one of your 1e capitol mages and any earth gems you can scrape/alchemize up.
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM

Corporal

Forrest is on a distinguished road

If you start the Frost father with some air he can make displacement armor and cast air shield. I think air 2.
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lazy_Perfectionist said:
With Wave Breaker and quicken self, you can attack six times a round. But Frost Brand allows my pretender to wield a shield. OTOH, any pretender I'd give Wave Breaker to would probably have awe, maybe 10 magic bonus to defense, before other things are factored in.

So, with an awe 2, high defense Son of the Sea or Father of Frost, what would you take as equipment (esp as LA Atlantis)?

I tried out the Father of Frost, liked him, but had a lot of trouble scrounging up any equipment for him since the only non-random magic I have is water and death, all other paths were only available on capital-only mages who were to expensive to have site searching early on.
LA Atlantis equipment for a W9 Dom9 Father of Winters:
Shadow Brand(i prefer it and you have access)
Shadow Brand(unless you have access to a decent shield like charcoal/gleaming gold/lucky coin)
Horror Helmet(works with awe)
Marble Brestplate/Chainmail of displacement if you get lucky, otherwise anything decent you can get.
Boots of the messenger with indies/winged shoes with luck
For your misc slots just stick with the usuals where possible(lucky pendant, amulet of resilience, ring of regen ect)
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:23 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

I have been really enjoying my frost brand wielding quintet of slave princes:

I was having a rough time against Sauromatian poison arrows until I blunted them with these guys. Pretty steep gem investment, but it was worth it. If any of the 5 received an affliction, I always had a replacement nearby to trade equipment with him. I would then just retire the wounded prince to shuttling troops. Once the experience levels began to rise, I no longer had to worry about replacements.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 530992-slaveprince.JPG (37.3 KB, 109 views)
Map Forge - Map editor
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigDisAwesome is on a distinguished road

Playing against the AI I assume?
MR 11 is way too low for MP.