.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many sites is dom III played on?

Quote:
Xietor said:
I think you meant myspace, not myplace. I have heard of myspace, but for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would want to post their personal information on the internet.
Really? Is it that you feel there are disadvantages? Or you really cant understand why someone would want to talk about themselves online?

Personally, just about everything legally available about me has been part of internet since it was created. You can even do a "whois" on me in the internet database. Usually thats just for domain info but in the early days it included personal info also. I keep mine up to date because its kinda cool to be in there. Thats where my login of GP1628 came from. Its my internic registry and will give you my full name, home address, phone number, and statistical data on my internet involvement. Thats not to mention half a dozen personal blogs, and old sites with things like my resume, another with my military history, one with my family, and a hacker-tracker site that lists me as white-hat NetCop. Googling me used to come up with 37,000 seperate web pages altho they trimmed their database so its much less now.

And thanks, yes I mant MySpace
Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

Gandalf(we are getting way ot, but wth).

i do not mind posting on my old wow guild website pictures of myself, or to a "known" audience. And most people that post here are likely "ok" as not many idiots like strategy games that require thinking.

But why would i want to make things easier for a hacker, id theft, serial murderer(not me and even at 47 would be no easy meat), but females are especially vulnerable to such things, and there is a great risk of sexual predators for the under 16 children.

So what possible good could outweigh the negatives of having your public information posted online? Especially for females and children. Maybe in Europe things are not a concern, but in New Orleans they are. In one recent month we had more people murdered in our city than our armed forces lost in Iraq.

National Missing Children's Day, 2003
By the President of the United States of America
A Proclamation

"On National Missing Children's Day, we join with families, law enforcement officials, and child advocates to highlight our commitment to stopping the abduction and exploitation of children. During this year's observance, we celebrate the progress we have made in safeguarding children, and we renew our dedication to protecting our most vulnerable citizens and our most valuable resources.

The Department of Justice estimates that more than 50,000 children will be victims of nonfamily abductions each year...."

Fifty thousand children abducted each year in the US-and many meet unbelievable fates. Myspace recently published that there were 39,000 known sexual predators as registered members, and those were known only because they use their real names in registering. The more clever ones the company stated could be more than double that.

Why paint targets on your kids for these creeps? What purpose can it possibly serve that outweighs the risk? And the risk is death or rape.

Now obviously these same risks do not apply to me, or most men. But you see my point? I see no redeeming value in myspace and other such sites at all.
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

Just to show you I am not a social recluse, here is a picture of me in a rural area I retreated to after Katrina. No home, no internet, no phone. But I did buy some new artillery, and honed my skills before returning to my beloved city. The way things looked on the news, I wanted to be prepared for the worst. Hopefully posting this picture of myself will not encourage anyone to rob me(:

Old August 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Xietor said:
And I was the number one board on my high school chess team. Luckily, I was also a 3 year starter in football in high school, and quite ornery enough that no one gave me any grief over being on the Chess Team. And hey, I was an average kid!
I said "most kids". Obviously if you were worried about getting beaten up by being on the Chess Team, you've proven my point.
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Xietor said:
But why would i want to make things easier for a hacker, id theft, serial murderer(not me and even at 47 would be no easy meat), but females are especially vulnerable to such things, and there is a great risk of sexual predators for the under 16 children.

So what possible good could outweigh the negatives of having your public information posted online? Especially for females and children. Maybe in Europe things are not a concern, but in New Orleans they are. In one recent month we had more people murdered in our city than our armed forces lost in Iraq.
Same argument (pros and cons) as why go to bars, or why let my children play on playgrounds, or just plain why go outside at all. Being social has its good and bad points. Thats true whether its real world or virtual one.

As a NetCop I continually warn parents about Internet. But I basically say to treat it the same as you do the real world. The same basic rules work just as well in both.

Gandalf Parker
--
And the computer guru says "Google thyself".
It was then that we were told "For to google thyself is to know thyself,
and to see thyself as others see you". Now available as a shirt at
http://www.cafepress.com/oddthotz.40658864?pid=2837642
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:19 AM

Corporal

Yucky is on a distinguished road

VGA Planets 4 is at least as active as Dominions 3 currently. There's even an actually programmer working on it now.

I wish there was a dom.drewhead.org