.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 13th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: What other games are people playing??

Quote:
magnate said:
No. It just steps through the turn sequence and moves the cards for you (and keeps count of damage, I presume). Stuff like disallowing illegal targets it doesn't do. I guess that would make for some interesting debates.

Thanks for the replies, I thought nobody noticed my questions. And yeah, I bet there'd be major debates, especially if someone tries to do something weird that depends heavily on the order that effects resolve.

By the way, Lich is the enchantment that makes the caster lose all life when it enters play. Now that has got to be way weirder than stasis. Apologies if you already knew that.
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Mark the Merciful

Quote:
Lex said:
I've got a long list of games I *MUST* play. So the time commitment of Eve is a bit worrisome. But nevertheless I'm pretty sure later in the week when work eases up, I'll sign up and spend several days reading every rule/story/forum/guide and really check it out for real

I was, and am, impressed by the same things. (I've been watching and laughing at the game news over the Last few days about a big series of races sponsored by one of the NPC Empires. To make them exciting, the races are partly run through low security space, and some of the naughtier player residents have decided to object and blockade certain systems. So most of the race participants are now being blown away before they can finish!)

The trouble is that all the single-player stuff - mining, agent missions or NPC pirate-hunting - is just as dull and grindy as it seems to be in most MMORPGs (not that I'm an expert). Trading might be more fun and rewarding, because you're playing in a more-or-less genuine market; but I haven't tried that yet. Hopefully it'll get more interesting once I'm fully integrated into Corporation actiivities, and my Corp moves closer to player-run space. The issue there is finding the right one.

Anyway, it's all very intriguing. I'm just still not decided whether it will be rewarding in the long term.
Old September 13th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Corporal

Lex is on a distinguished road

Freelancer is a single-player only game, that is almost EXACTLY like Eve. And I loved Freelancer. Although the tactical combat was really well done in Freelancer, and seems to be boring in Eve. But I spent literally hours just watching my ship courrier supplies from neighbouring systems for profit. It gets boring after a while, but that's only cos nothing ever changed. In Eve, everything changes week to week. I think by the time you got bored in Eve, you'd be advanced enough to become part of a Corporation, which would then open up a whole new set of activities and interests.
Old September 13th, 2004, 11:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road

Playing some Posband and some CoH.

I love the REALLY slow dom 2 game I'm in, it's strategically dicey, but I have time to DO OTHER THINGS!!!

WooHoo!

Rabe the Newbie Scrapper on Liberty

I read the post about the uber(in-game)scam some guy pulled in eve. (search BoingBoing)

If you can grift it, that's pretty real
Old September 14th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Corporal

KroolDeath is on a distinguished road

Mark,

So are you saying oyu've begun playing Eve, or is this just from reading the web page?

Krool