This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:01 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Othaglot and Cane - Story Thread

I've been writing a history of one of my solo games as I play it; the file is up to 10K so far. I won't be ready to post it until I know how the upcoming war that I'm expecting turns out, at least.

Dogscoff, two good stories. Your wallpaper's a bit hard to look at, but given the graphics I use in my Hypermaze mod, I'm hardly in a position to complain.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old May 28th, 2002, 11:43 PM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by capnq:
I've been writing a history of one of my solo games as I play it; the file is up to 10K so far. I won't be ready to post it until I know how the upcoming war that I'm expecting turns out, at least.

Dogscoff, two good stories. Your wallpaper's a bit hard to look at, but given the graphics I use in my Hypermaze mod, I'm hardly in a position to complain.
LOL, yeah
actually had to copy and paste the text into a texteditor to read the story.

Dogscoff, great story . Looking forward to hear more. Will there be Vikngs in it? (pretty please )

Rollo
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old May 29th, 2002, 09:18 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I did wonder about the wallpaper. Will fix that. Vikings: I'll see what I can do.
Pirates: Maybe, I'll have a think about it.

I will probably almost certainly include some sort of Mafia / Triad / Yakuza organisation. Now that would be a cool shipset.
Old June 1st, 2002, 07:32 PM

General

newzwirre rreleaze...muellerr confederrazion brreakz off diplomatic rrelazionz with mi-go hierrarrchy

yuggoth...glao newz networrk...ztatement...tenzionz rroze today along the jukala-lapan corrridorr...az the muellerr confederrazion withdrrew frrom itz trrade and rrezearrch trreaty with the mi-go hierrarrchy...denounzing a mi-go attack againzt an unarrmed gc-100-clazz colony zhip...the muellerrz demanded a forrmal apology...a zpokezman forr mi-go high prriezt da-vi acknowledged that the mi-go defenze frrigate...dark judgment...waz rrezponzible forr the deztrruczion of the colony zhip...howeverr zaid that the blame lay with the confederrazion...claiming that the colonizerr zhould have had ample warrning that the dark judgment waz apprroaching the warrp point frrom jukala to lapan...

rrelazionz have been ztrrained rrezently between the hierrarrchy and the confederrazion due to the mi-go colonizazion of thrree worrldz in the muellerr-claimed zyztemz of ankel...eztopholez...nbarum...the grravey clan haz alzo exprezzed concerrn overr the mi-go prrezenze in gemhadrran...mi-go defenze fleetz in lapan...jukala...malfadorriz arre rreporrted to be on high alerrt...

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 05:31 PM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

Othaglot & Cane: Chapter 1 rewritten, Chapter 2 now available.

Dogscoff's SEIV page

Chapter 3 is in progress.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 06:53 PM

Private

LokiOne is on a distinguished road

Nice work Dogscoff! For years I have used my second PC to write an on-going narration of whatever computer game I might be playing. I include maps (using PAINT). notes, reminders, hints and sometimes paste in pieces of jpeg or bmp artwork to bring the story alive.

I've done this with everything from Civ, Might & Magic, Wizardry, Dungeon Siege, X-Com, Colonization, Morrowind, etc, etc. I have over 39 megabytes on one Jagged Alliance: Unfinished Business game alone (it includes a lot of maps done with PAINT).

This using the second PC to keep notes and spin a storyline helps to prolong a game sometimes taking 2 or 3 times longer to complete. All the better to enjoy the ride! Of course, sometimes I get to playing the game and get so wrapped up that I neglect the storyline and later have to go back and catch up. Gives me a chance to expand on the content.

I prefer the strategic games and RPG's where I can pause the action and make my entries. Those real-time games drive me nuts because there is little time to stop and take stock of where I am or develop a long range strategy plan. To each their own.

My copy of SE4 Gold just arrived and I am already getting into my first game, writing my notes and storyline as I go. What a hoot! My thanks to everyone here who has contributed hints, answers and directions to the various questions brought to this forum.

Excuse me, my Terran Confederation is looking for some direction now after finding the nearby systems empty of alien forces and I have to figure out what to do next. "Look, General Vaughn, I don't care what the Tech Minister says, we need to research ..."
Old June 2nd, 2002, 10:21 PM

General

Dogscoff, the new background fits the opening scene quite nicely, but now I have to highlight the text to read it comfortably.

I think white text would work well on that background.

Old June 3rd, 2002, 02:15 AM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

I have to agree that the point of view of the characters is quite well thought out. Have you played as Cue Cappa very much, Dogscoff? I hope that the plot you are building 'on the fly' comes off as well as the characterization of alien psychology and xeno-diplomacy.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 03:43 AM

Private

spacefan is on a distinguished road

Its a neat idea posting the chapters on a website. I've always been interested in stories, and role playing games, but until the SE series I never found a futuristic one that seemed to work out well.

I'll probably think up a scenario to play out and start my own website for that. Space Empires is starting to rival my other roleplaying choice (DR:Platinum) in terms of time spent just because of how deep it can be, especially when trying to roleplay and not just go for power.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 05:01 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road

Enjoyable reading. Looking forward to more. What a shame you're not an Asimov -- then we wouldn't have to wait so long between chapters.