Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old May 19th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road
Default Left out countries

A number of countries have been left out. Is anybody doing a Croatian OOB? Has anybody got a Philippine OOB? Turkey for what-ifs?

troopie
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Left out countries

Interesting. We include 6 new nations and what's one of the first complaints? ......A number of countries have been "left out"..........

"Turkey for what-ifs"
Well troopie why don't YOU crack open a book and do it?? I have ZERO interest in "what-ifs Turkey" and Andy has ZERO interest in "what-ifs Turkey" and since nobody....and I mean nobody on the entire planet of earth has ever built a "what-ifs Turkey" WW2 era OOB it's probably because there are a few billion other people with ZERO interest in "what-ifs Turkey"

Kinda like that "SPWW1" mod that never seems to see the light of day

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
troopie said:
A number of countries have been left out. Is anybody doing a Croatian OOB? Has anybody got a Philippine OOB? Turkey for what-ifs?

troopie
Croatian forces are there, in the Yugoslavian OOB. If you really need a completely separate croatian OB, then you could try a rework of RED as that is a generic balkan type partisan OOB.

Turkey took no part in WW2, which what this game is primarily about. If you need them - try a rework of Red or Green, and you will get central/northern European batlocs, which will do if T ever did invade Europe. Or just design a scenario using some nationality as T, as done for say the Iraqui rebellion?.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

I'm not complaining. I just wondered if there was one out there. I remember somebody did one for a Dos version. I am currently doing a South Africa orbat. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get to work on Turkey next.

Best wishes

troopie
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Kinda like that "SPWW1" mod that never seems to see the light of day

Can I be brutally frank with you Don?

(Don't take what I'm going to say the wrong way, but I can't see any way to put it diplomatically)

Removing 1914-1929 from the game for the WinWW2 release really reduced the chances of it ever seeing the light of day.

Which is a shame, really. Plan 1919 was really pretty cool for it's day. We were planning to drop something like 12,000 paratroops, and have actual tank/infantry/artillery co-operation in the great drives into Germany to end WWI.
Old May 19th, 2006, 08:58 PM

Private

Darius359au is on a distinguished road

Everyone involved in the WW1 idea decided to wait for winspww2 to make it easier to do and not have to be stuck with the limitations of ww2v7 - as Mark says , now that the 1914-29 option for dates has been removed theres basically no chance of it showing up for winww2.
Many of us spent untold hours researching oobs for the countries involved and if you though finding ww2 data for a small country was hard, try finding the order of battle for something like say a ww1 new zealand infantry battalion!

Im sorry if this sounds rude or anything - I love whats been done with winww2 and im going to keep playing it and making oobs , but to make a comment without knowing the decisions that have been made by the group in question is annoying.

R
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Removing pre-1930 dates was actually a bug-fix, and not a "removal" of a feature. Along with the other fixes so the dates would roll over correctly. That stopped date selection screw-ups the old system allowed.

If you guys are really serious about the WW1 mod, then I could be persuaded to make a one-off 1914-18 mod to the exe, remove the WW2 LC, and a very few changes to batloc maps, batlocs etc (perhaps). Just the EXE - OOBS, SHP changes etc all up to the group, and no maintenance of the thing either. Or support by us. Or changes to the AI pick (your OBATS would have to work around those, as any changes to that would need a man-month probably, which is time I don't have). I think I can budget a man-week on the EXE changes (nothing complicated )

Do any of your group belong to the winSPWW2 playtester's group? (or know somebody there who can pass messages) - if so, drop me a note on there.

No promises - but it may well be possible if it is not going to take any of my time.

Cheers
Andy
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

OK, let me explain something. This WW1 project has been going on for years and nothing has ever been released. Had something been released the dates wouldn't have been trimmed back. The ONLY reason the dates went back to WW1 in the first place was to allow that project to go ahead and from our perspective it just sat in limbo and all we ended up with was a game where the OOB's dropped off at 1930. WinSPww2 is subtitled "Combined Arms Tactical Combat 1930-1946" and that's what we did. We do not want people firing up a game and having a giant hole between 1914 and 1929.

I've already talked with Andy about this on a number of occasions. If this project IS serious then appoint a spokesman and come up with a proposal and Andy may create an EXE specifically for it to run from.

We have more than just a casual understanding of what is involved in creating OOB's and graphics. If this project *IS* serious you will have quite a lot of material already so let's all hear about this. How many nations have been done? How many PIC's have been created? How many vehicles and aircraft have been created to support the OOB's ? How many sceanrios have been created?

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:57 AM

Private

Bunyip is on a distinguished road

[quote]
DRG said:
OK, let me explain something. This WW1 project has been going on for years and nothing has ever been released. Had something been released the dates wouldn't have been trimmed back. The ONLY reason the dates went back to WW1 in the first place was to allow that project to go ahead and from our perspective it just sat in limbo and all we ended up with was a game where the OOB's dropped off at 1930.

<snip>

I've already talked with Andy about this on a number of occasions. If this project IS serious then appoint a spokesman and come up with a proposal and Andy may create an EXE specifically for it to run from.

LB: Don et al, before you read any further. Ta muchly. The counter meal and beer offer still stands.

After the changes caused by the last upgrade of the DOS version of SPWW2, we literally have sat on our hands. Darius and Troopie have been doing research, and I will presume that Richard Hopkins has been as well. They have completed a couple of OOBs. I have been gleaning what I can for the Russian Civil War, but we have been waiting to see what the Win version looked like before we actually put values in boxes, so to speak.

We discussed continuing developing material, but if we had realised that the dates would be reduced, or even that it was being considered to reduce them, we would have advocated that they be retained.

After some of the stuff which went down on the Yahoo list, I personally thought the last thing that you would have appreciated was someone knocking on the virtual door, saying "Are you done yet. Oh, by the way, we want these bells and whistles, but we have no idea as to what the code work consequences of these requests are".

I am sure that we will have no problem in agreeing to appointing an advocate in regard to changing the dates.

cheers

Luke
Old May 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Private

Gud is on a distinguished road

Well, I was the author of Croat OOB for ww2v6/7 (btw, HI TROOPIE I might do one for winspww2, as it shouldn't be much of work.

As for leftouts, well, Croatia would be lovely but I can imagine them being subest of Jugo OOB (tho any person involved would frown at Serbs and Croat sitting together in one file). Slovakia is a nice touch, but I'd love to see Turkey some day - after all, Sweden didn't fire a shot in the war yet they're in (prolly due to having lots of cool toys).