.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Private

kgambit is on a distinguished road
Default Problem with Editor

I'm having a problem with the map editor. I am trying to build an island map for a scenario I am designing. The outline of the island was finished and I was trying to add two small harbors protected by breakwaters. I was experimenting with different types of terrain to model the breakwaters including paved roads on top of level impassable but the breakwaters looked too wide. So I tried using a string of bridge hexes. Well the map editor ended up building bridges from the island all the way to the north, east and south map edges. (Okay it was probably a user induced error lol)

So I cleared all of the bridge terrain but I can't get rid of some stray brdges that show up just on the map edges. They just won't go away.

I tried reducing the map size and then re-enlarging but that didn't work. Any ideas?
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problem with Editor

You could edit them out using Fred´s WW2Map editor at:
http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/Chlan.../SP/ww2map.zip

The editor is a little bit user unfriendly, but what you need to do after starting the program is:

1. Go to "Files" and select "Set SHP Directory". Navigate to your games Graphics folder and select any .shp file there and click Open. (Now the program knows where to the graphics files reside)

2. Go to "Files" again and now select "Load Map" and load your map file.

3. Click on the hex that has the unwanted bridge graphic and select "Options" and from there "Inspection mode".

4. In the Inspection Windows make sure Sec3-Sec7 all read " -" and then click on the button labeled "Retain".

5. Now click on the Redraw map icon in the lower right of the editors main window to see if the unwanted bridge graphic dissapears from the hex.

6. If everything looks ok click on "Files" and "Save Map" to save your map.

Now when you open the map with the games regular map editor the bridge graphics should be gone from the map edges.

Ofcourse the easiest thing to do is just to ignore the bridge graphics in the sides of the map. They are after all just a minor cosmetic flaw.
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

This is why it is advisable always to regularly save your map editing work (or scenario editing for that matter) just like any other computer related business like working on a Word document or programme. Since then you have a known good backup to return to if it all goes pear-shaped on you!.

The Extended map editor for CD owners as I recall has an undo function - and also it auto-saves on a timed basis as well IIRC. (Been some time since I worked with it, maps are not my thing)

Andy
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I tried reducing the map size and then re-enlarging but that didn't work. Any ideas?
When you reduced it you did save it & then open that save & reset the map size.

Bridges run till they find an end so the way to do it is put a one hex island just past where you want it to end & then change the island back to a water hex.
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM

Private

kgambit is on a distinguished road

Rosollia, thanks for the link to the editor. I downloaded it for future use.

Andy, yeah not having a dedicated backup was a big mistake. I won't do THAT again.

John, yes I saved it, reopened that save & reset the map size. Thanks for the tip on the bridges.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I just ended up starting over from scratch. I built a generic open water base map to use in the future and saved that first. I was hoping to convert all of the map edges to open water, but the build beach option only clears the left and right edges. That should be good enough.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:14 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Also recall that when you exit the scenario editor that a backup is made in slot 999. So you may have an older version of any maps etc, sitting in that auto-save slot.

It is mainly for that oops moment when you exit the scenario editor and then realise you had not saved your edits, but you can always load that save slot into the currently open editor as a "restart", before exiting what you have just messed up (or that will go into 999!), provided that it is an older version of the same scenario you were working on.