.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Corporal

Professor_Dyar is on a distinguished road
Default Multiple Fortresses in a province?

It has been a *looong* time since I've posted here, mainly because I've been so busy in RL with other things. Anyhow, I've got a number of questions I would like cleared up, mostly concerning fortresses, and I'm wondering what happens under certain situations and if anybody has tested them.

Most of these questions have to do with what happens when scripts would put multiple fortresses in the same province.

Scenario 1
A map maker scripts the province named Mount Kailasa as the home province for Kailasa. The map maker then scripts Mount Kailasa (the province) to have a Mountain City fort in it, representing the city of the Yavanas. Then the game starts, and the standard capital city for Kailasa (the nation) is a Fortified City. What kind of fort is in the province?

Scenario 2
Tir' na n'Og builds a fortress in Banded Hills. Later, Arcocephale captures that fortress, and a mystic searching for magic sites in Banded Hills finds the Crystal Citadel. What fort(s) are now in that province?

Scenario 3
The map maker from Scenario 1 revises his map, and compiles a list of fortresses at the end of his map file, adding new forts to new provinces. Forgetting that Mount Kailasa already has a Mountain City in it, he now places a Woodland Citadel in Mount Kailasa elsewhere in the map file. Then the game starts, but nobody plays Kailasa, so the Fortified City doesn't spawn, but what of the other two forts?
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Multiple Fortresses in a province?

there can only be 1 fort in a single province. the first fort built/found is the fort that will stay. in the case of map making, I'm not sure whether you can actually put a different fort onto a capital, and even if you can I'm not sure if it'll have any effect, seeing as capital forts are independent of the province they're in.
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

13lackGu4rd has it right. The basic rule is that the first one there gets it. Events, spells, magic sites found that try to add a castle to one already there will fail.

You CAN put a different castle on a Capital. But the only reason you can is that there are two map commands. One designates the province as a target and tries to add the items that follow. The other wipes the province clean and then adds the items that follow. So you can place a nation, and wipe its castle, then give it another.

By the way, since it sounds like you are headed there. There IS a way now to set units at a castle to be inside defending it AND outside patrolling it. A long time irritation that Endoperez found a workaround for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Corporal

Thanks - I was wondering what would happen. This will help for adding forts to maps!

One question remains, then: does the order of whether the location of the fort or the placement of nations matter in terms of what forts get assigned, or are nation placement commands always read first?
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I think the game places nations before doing map commands. But I just realized Im not sure if the map places nations and tries to do that last. I dont think Ive ever tested that
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Corporal

Oh well, thanks - I guess I'll just have to test it if I need to.
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Id be interested in your results. Especially if its quirky and not what was expected.