This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old September 30th, 2003, 03:56 AM

Sergeant

Wydraz is on a distinguished road
Default Component Duplication Bug/Exploit

This bug appears when you sell an item at a spaceport, then load a game that was saved before your sale (and you are still in the same area). If you go to the spaceport, your sold items are still there, even if in your save game you still have them. This can be exploited to dup items!
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:55 AM

Corporal

Hotfoot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Component Duplication Bug/Exploit

Yes, and it's also annoying when you die, reload a saved game, and go to outfit your ship like you did before, having found a hard to find item in your previous save only to discover that the item you purchased is now gone due to the same quirk.
Old September 30th, 2003, 06:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Note that this only works sometimes, and only then if you enter the exact same port.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:28 PM

Sergeant

That doesn't stop anyone from exploiting the bug! Tho I can't complain too much. I had lost the opportunity to buy some nice equipment due to this bug (as Hotfoot did), so I felt justified in exploiting it to get me some nice engines (I only found two of the speed I wanted, so I duplicated the third)!

[ September 30, 2003, 19:29: Message edited by: Wydraz ]
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:05 PM

Private

Mehrunes is on a distinguished road

Buy... equipment? Surely you jest! I've gotten enough equipment off of ships I've destroyed to outfit an entire fleet.
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Sergeant

You must spend a lot of time blowing up ships! They never drop the stuff I want.
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:11 PM

PvK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotfoot:
Yes, and it's also annoying when you die, reload a saved game, and go to outfit your ship like you did before, having found a hard to find item in your previous save only to discover that the item you purchased is now gone due to the same quirk.
Of course, using the saved game system to gain pre-knowledge of places you haven't been yet, could be considered cheating itself...

PvK
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:30 AM

Second Lieutenant

DeadZone is on a distinguished road

Yeah the same thing could be said if you die and use a save game you made before it happened
Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:02 AM

PvK is on a distinguished road

Yep. It sure could. That's a major reason why I dislike games designed with the expectation you'll die a few times and keep playing from the recent saved game. Not only that it's "cheating", but that it kinda removes all challenge and suspense, replacing it with the penalty of replaying part of the game. Long live Nethack.

PvK
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:54 PM

Corporal

Hotfoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PvK:
Of course, using the saved game system to gain pre-knowledge of places you haven't been yet, could be considered cheating itself...

PvK
Frankly, I was expecting the game to randomly generate new equipment when it loads from a save game. Instead, if I want to do that, I have to restart the entire game. Then all the places get new inventories and it's all good. So if I completely clear out a planet of all their good equipment, I can save, quit the game, restart, and there will be more stuff for me to buy.

If I die, reload and I want to go back to a planet to try getting either the equipment I lost or new equipment, I shouldn't be penalized because of the "quirks" in the trading system. Either reset the shops with the save games to what they were at the time of saving, or re-generate them. I can understand wanting to keep savegame filesizes low (hence why saving the contents of the shop in a savegame is not being done), as well as loading times, but come on. The game already regenerates the shops every time you level or every time you launch the game. Putting in another call to do it whenever you load a saved game would be a simple, elegant solution, remove the problems I had, and remove the duplication bug.

Edit: As for considering saving and reloading "cheating", fine, feel free, but given the nature of computers and games, it is entirely unrealistic to assume that people are going to be willing to play a game that has no save feature whatsoever. It's frustrating and annoying, and makes the game not fun, especially if the game is very hard. Very few people have the ability to sit down a play a game through to completion in one sitting, especially if the game is long, hard, and/or buggy. Imagine playing Starfury, having just gotten a nice, shiny battleship, when suddenly...BAM! Crash to desktop. Well, no savegame to reload, let's start all the way back at the beginning of the game, only to CTD again after having bought a battleship. Or let's say you have what most people commonly refer to as a life, and you play games in your spare time. Well, too bad, you'll never make it past your little Mk1 Destroyer, because you can't save your 1-2 hour game sessions. Oh yes, that's fun.

[ October 03, 2003, 16:02: Message edited by: Hotfoot ]