The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old July 17th, 2003, 04:38 PM

First Lieutenant

Growltigger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phong\'s Head Cantina [TM] - Starfury Sector (A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy)

Given the driving rain and generally gloomy and morbid decor, no one notices a large Class II feline (ooh, someone is really going to suffer for that remark) placing stacks of C4 against the holographic sign outside the Starfury cantina entrance.....

now, what does this red button do on the detonator?
Old July 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Phong\'s Head Cantina [TM] - Starfury Sector (A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy)

Woundwort reclines in the leather chair in his office, smoking a Padron 3000, still fuming over the set-back in Starfury's open. On top of all this, the installation of his in-office stereo system had been the object of a practical joke by one of the worker bots. The Bose Wave system had been installed perfectly, and a brand-new CD of Rush: Perspectives II was inserted, but one of the bots had set it to endlessly loop through "The Body Electric". That had taken the better part of an hour to undo.

Tapping at a UWW pad and wondering how many Starfury merc runs would be necessary to recoup the back payments on the Cantina, Woundwort (along with the rest of the worker crew) are startled to hear an explosion outside.

Rising from his chair and punching a few buttons on his wrist computer, the wall behind him shimmers and turns transparent. Outside, standing beside the smoking ruins of the holostatue, is the Boss.

"Great. Just great. I should've known that idea of Deadstar's would be a washout..." Woundwort mutters as the foreman droid rushes into his office.

"Sir, sir! Someone's blown up the statue of the Boss! And it looks like the Boss himself!"

"I know. Just get your bots out of the way and back to their assigned duties."

Woundwort takes the turbolift down to the ground level, walks out, and surveys the smoking crater that was once the holostatue projector.

"You know, Boss, if you didn't like it, all you had to do was say so..."

[ August 09, 2003, 14:23: Message edited by: General Woundwort ]
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The foreman droid enters Woundwort's office. Woundwort is going over the accounting spreadsheet on a pop-up computer screen on his desk.

"What happened to the message bot?"

"We transported it back as ordered."

"And...?"

"Well... we had to destroy it upon arrival?"

"What is this, 20 Questions? What on earth happened?"

The foreman droid walks over to Woundwort and starts buzzing in his ear. Variously, looks of shock, horror, and disgust march over his face.

"Uh... right. Carry on."

"Yes, sir. What about the holostatue?"

"Don't bother replacing it. Just call the Starfury construction board and have them fill in the crater in the sidewalk. As long as the opening is delayed, they can put the time to good use."

"Yes, sir."
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Woundwort reclines in the chair of his office, watching the construction work on the interior of the Phong's Head on a bank of videoscreens lining the right-hand wall. The finishing touches are being put on. The work is almost done.

"And pretty much on time," he muses aloud between puffs of a cigar. "On our part. If only those guys on Malfador III were more prompt..." A sigh, followed by a long draw, and a puff of smoke. "Well, nothing to do now but wait..."

A sharp chime announces the arrival of the foreman droid. It walks into the office and clicks its heels.

"The Last design changes have been filed. One more shipment of decor and we're all set. Give it another 48 hours and she'll be ready to go."

"Excellent. Good work, lad. Good work."

"Oh, by the way... since things were winding down here, one of the Boss's other employees asked for a loan of some worker droids for a project back at the home cantina."

"Sure, why not? We've no further need for them here. Just out of curiosity, what project?"

"Well..."

Woundwort drops the cigar onto a large marble ashtray. "Okay, NOW what?"

The droid hesitates, then walks up to Woundwort and buzzes into his ear.

"Oh... my.... g..." Woundwort drops his head into his hands and sits motionless for a long time.

"Okay. When... IF... those droids get back, make sure they are thoroughly disinfected. GOT IT?"

"Yessir."

The foreman droid snaps to attention, and departs the office. Woundwort stares at the smouldering stub of his cigar.

"What in the world have I gotten myself into here...?"
Old August 9th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

Woundwort, i'd be decidedly worried if GT makes the orgasmatron compulsory in all cantinas!

Also i'd be worried if Ragnarok visits in his current state, we may have to order a lot more food and widen the doors.
Old August 9th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Tell me about it. I think these guys have been at their computer terminals too long...

(opens up a polished-walnut chest and holds it in Deadstar's direction)

Cigar? Somebody's gotta celebrate the end of construction...

[ August 09, 2003, 14:19: Message edited by: General Woundwort ]
Old August 17th, 2003, 12:42 PM

Brigadier General

Raging Deadstar is on a distinguished road

No thanks Woundwort, don't dare touch those deathsticks!

I'll advertise in the original cantina and see if we can get some new blood here.
Old August 17th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I'll have you know [lights a match and takes a few initial puffs] that lung cancer was an absolute rarity before cigarettes. Cigars are different. You don't inhale (unless you're nuts).

Alright then, let's get this thing going!

[Woundwort punches a few buttons on his wrist-computer. The lights blaze on outside, and a holographic marquis scrolls across the building above the main entrance.]

THE PHONG'S HEAD CANTINA - STARFURY SECTOR IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE ITS GALA PREVIEW PRE-STARFURY-RELEASE OPENING PARTY. IN KEEPING WITH A LONG-STANDING PHONG'S HEAD FRANCHISE TRADITION, THE FIRST TEN (10) CUSTOMERS GET A FREE ROUND ON THE HOUSE.

[ August 17, 2003, 11:57: Message edited by: General Woundwort ]
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:00 PM

Captain

Erax is on a distinguished road

Woundwort has said the five magic words...

Erax, who was getting some much-needed sleep on his day off after installing all the stuff the Boss asked for in the old cantina, is picked up by the magical force of those words and barely has time to get dressed before they zoom him across time and space at ludicrous speed...

...to arrive before General Woundwort.

"Did anyone say, 'free round on the house ?' Gimme a Rodian beer. Green mind you, not pink."

"By the way, thanks for the droids, GW. I owe you a favor."

[ August 19, 2003, 22:01: Message edited by: Erax ]
Old August 20th, 2003, 01:29 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Well, step right up, the bar is that way...

[The PHC:SFS is a large, elliptical room, two circular decks surrounding a three-story atrium. Across the central axis on the ground floor, left to right, is a stage, an open area, a large bar/grille island, another open area, and a second stage. Four turbolift shafts extend up from the ground floor to the two upper tiers, at 2, 5, 7, and 10 o'clock. At the far back of the ground floor are dark, shadowy booths, set up between two enclosed meeting rooms. Holographic game tables and booths line the second tier, more dining and meeting booths on the third level.

Also notable is a large, rectangular shaped object floating level with the third tier, directly above the bar/grille island. 5 meters high, 10 wide, and 15 long, it is covered completely with smooth chrome, engraved with bas relief motifs of pouncing tigers, with tiger-head gargoyles on each corner.]

BTW, be sure to check any weapons at the weapon/coat check - on the right, as you entered.