.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old October 8th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whare are you from?

Gandalf,

Something I will probably become famous for saying a bit too often is that, whether I or anybody else agrees or not with them or not, I'm always glad to see people stepping forward to voice their opinions in a constructive, intelligent manner. It doesn't do anybody good for people to keep silent when they see something they feel is a problem.

Just my 2¢, of course. I obviously can't speak for Richard or Tim, but I'd be quite surprised (stunned, actually) if they'd want anybody to cease speaking up just because they don't share the same viewpoint.

Maybe this post is a bit unnecessary, but I wanted to say all that publicly as a general statement to everyone on how I feel this board can be at its best. I hope everybody will follow your example and speak out in an adult manner on the things that concern them. So far, I think we've been doing very well on that, actually!

Psitticine the Community Spirit Parrot
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

No! Suggesting that a new race be set off limits in the demo is a bad idea...because I want to try them until I get my copy.
But I think the restraints as mentioned sound pretty good...on a small map by 50 turns you pretty much know how its going to turn out anyway.
And I do think the old demo might have been a bit too generous.
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:43 PM

Captain

johan osterman is on a distinguished road

Not all of the races are included in the demo, the ones excluded are ones that might be somewhat problematic to beginners, like Ermor.
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to hear Ermor won't be in the demo. I can see how they're rough to play against, but beginners might have a good time playing as them. The undead and Death magic are also a big part of the game's flavor.
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:21 PM

Sergeant

LordArioch is on a distinguished road

Actually that's not a bad idea to exclude eremor and the aquatics. That way new players won't get frustrated trying to start games against ermor or aquatic nations...because it is hard to deal with those until you understand the basics of the game.

[ October 08, 2003, 18:21: Message edited by: LordArioch ]
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Well you guys have seen the new Version, and I havent. One of the good things about the old demo was that the extra niceness of it helped us to convince people to keep at it when they complained about the interface.

Everything is scales, like it is in the game. If the new interface is good then the demo doesnt have to be such a gift, it can just do the minimum demo job. If the game has good balance on the first delivery (I know we arent giving you as much time as Dom 1 had) then the game can cost the regular market price. If it gets marketed then this can be the forum for its discussion.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:46 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
Not all of the races are included in the demo, the ones excluded are ones that might be somewhat problematic to beginners, like Ermor.
I think this is probably a good thing.

I also think that this proposed demo might even be a little too generous - one of the biggest draws for me to buy the full Version is the fact that you can't use your nation's coolest units in the demo. Also it seems like a 60 turn limit would be hardly a big problem - it's really possible to finish out a small map in 60 turns.

Have you (devs) closed the loophole that allowed you to research beyond lvl 4 in the Dom I demo?
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:49 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

The first couple times I played the demo, Ermor got included by accident (or by a glitch?) and it really ruined the experience for me. There I was, doing great, holding my weight against 'normal' nations, and this invincible army of darkness cleans up all the other AIs, then me. You can't counter Ermor with normal tactics, and you can't even bottleneck them, since they take over all the oceans and invade wherever they want. So I think removing Ermor from the demo is a very good idea.
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by johan osterman:
Oh, i see...
I definedly hope my mom will (pre)order the game for me...

And what nations did you exactly remove from the demo?

[ October 08, 2003, 20:07: Message edited by: Nerfix ]

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:56 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by st.patrik:

Have you (devs) closed the loophole that allowed you to research beyond lvl 4 in the Dom I demo?
Yes.