.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 30th, 2004, 02:08 PM

First Lieutenant

Stormbinder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question on SC\'s

Yes, you are correct. I have figured it out already and using it in my planing, but it still looks like a bug to me, although a consistent one. According to the manual the magic movement phase should happen before normal movement, no exceptions were mentioned.

BTW I think there are other possible bugs related to GR and stealth. For example, if GR was casted on the province where your stealthy unit is located, and the unit would be given order to *move* and attack other province, it could sometimes be "intercepted" by other units and forced to fight over the empty province.

(and no, the unit in question would not be "detected" )
Old September 30th, 2004, 02:33 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Stormbinder said:
Yes, you are correct. I have figured it out already and using it in my planing, but it still looks like a bug to me, although a consistent one. According to the manual the magic movement phase should happen before normal movement, no exceptions were mentioned.
Hm, indeed, there isn't a mention of 'attack current province' command in the manual. Anyway, it should be mentioned that command in question results in an attack on battle phase A (magic), thus giving you ability to use sneaking units to boost teleporting army and vice versa. After all, the sneakers are already in place, why should they wait for armies to move?

I'd vote for an oversight in documentation instead of bug, but your mileage may vary.
Old September 30th, 2004, 08:32 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
atul said:
Quote:
Stormbinder said:
Hm, indeed, there isn't a mention of 'attack current province' command in the manual. Anyway, it should be mentioned that command in question results in an attack on battle phase A (magic), thus giving you ability to use sneaking units to boost teleporting army and vice versa. After all, the sneakers are already in place, why should they wait for armies to move?

I'd vote for an oversight in documentation instead of bug, but your mileage may vary.
Really? Interesting, I didn't know that. In my case my scout attacked the province before GR did, but than again GR are "neutral" units, unlike scouts.

So you are saying that if I would teleport into province some of my troops, they would attack together with the stealthy units that are already there? Have you tried it or is it just a guess?
Old September 30th, 2004, 09:26 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Stormbinder said:
So you are saying that if I would teleport into province some of my troops, they would attack together with the stealthy units that are already there? Have you tried it or is it just a guess?
I've tried it. I've used call of the winds along with hidden centaur warriors and had them arrive at the same time, and before the rest of the army moved into the province later in the turn.
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huzurdaddi said:
here are some exceptions to this: Nifel Jarls, Furblogs, and smoe pretenders.

lol, that would be an interesting summon
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:45 AM

Captain

Quote:
Stormbinder said:
As Graeme said, yes it works like that. Pretty sure I've used some Villains in conjuction with different CoWs.
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:03 AM

Sergeant

Pickles is on a distinguished road

I believe I have had it not work - stealthy scouts attack a full province then the GR turn up later. But this was in a big confusing game & I may have got the orders wrong.
The solution is to have the scout next door & use a normal move to enter the province.

I know you can engage cloaking device to avoid the magic movement spells. It can be a real pain chasing stealthy flying raiders, though they may only attack every other turn.

Pickles
Old October 1st, 2004, 07:16 AM

Captain

Quote:
Pickles said:
I believe I have had it not work - stealthy scouts attack a full province then the GR turn up later. But this was in a big confusing game & I may have got the orders wrong.
Two different subjects - what works is using stealth units in conjunction with teleporters, what doesn't is to use scout with "attack current province" when you GR it simultaneously. You already told the solution to scout - GR synergy.

Anyway, I'm not totally sure about this, but I'd think that the battle order, if several factions attack same province in same battle phase, is random. With exception that independents always show up Last to mop up.

What this would mean is that if you GR a province when also teleporting (or having sneak units there with orders to attack current) your teleporters fight first, and the survivor is left to face the undead horsemen.

I think this also applies to normal random event indies and battle phase after normal movement - I've met several occasions in which I have got a message about invading barbarian event, said province is conquered by enemy nation, and that nation's troops have suddenly faced the barbarians.

Not sure, but well, at least it would be logical...
Old October 1st, 2004, 06:02 PM

First Lieutenant

That is good to know, thanks.

Heh, it was a long time since I've learned something new about Dom2. IMHO it is great that the game can still hold some suprises for you, even after dozens and dozens of MP games.