ATF: Armored Task Force- Save $8.00
War Plan Pacific- Save $8.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

Corporal

Frederick_d_Ohlmann is on a distinguished road
Default specific questions

I don't found response to those by seeking on the forum :
1 - If I mod all stellar manipulation component to get "destroy planet" and the value 0 (they can't destroy anything - except planet destroyer of course) how will the AI react ? I fear it mess the AI (the idea is to get anti-stellar manipulation mines)
2 - I have a ship with an unique 150kt armor. Can 50 dmg mines stack to destroy the armor ?
3 - Is there any tips to make diseappear old ship size ?
4 - Does fleet experience applie to fighter ? And if a carrier is fleeted, will the fighter that he launch in battle get the bonuse ? And troop ?
5 - And does the "max expérience in battle) work on unit ? (fighter/sat/troop)
6 - I understand nothing to stack bonuses of component. I believe that only bonus with different second argument stack, but I see component with the same second argument that were stacking. So ?? (I have read the Fyron modding guide)
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:33 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: specific questions

1) Uh? A Planet Destroyer with a 0 value would be unable to do anything at all, and would not result in an anti-stellar manipulation mine. The AI would likely build them if you script it to do so, and may or may not try to actually destroy enemy planets.

Oh, would you want to make Stellar Manipulation impossible over a planet in conjunction with the anti-Planet Destroyer facility? If so, this facility can only stop Planet Destroying (not relevant in your case), and not all the other Stellar Manipulations, and especially not Stellar Manipulation happening elsewhere in the system. System Gravitational Shielding abilities are the only ones preventing Stellar Manipulation in a system.

2) Yes (storms will do the same by the way).

3) To the best of my knowledge, no.

4) Fleet experience is supposed to work for fighters, but I haven't checked it. Good question about units being launched in battle: I have a hunch they wouldn't get any bonus, but that's just a hunch.

5) Units do not have ship experience, so it will not work.

6) Some abilities stack, others do not. More specifically, ECM/CS abilities stack so long as they are on different family components; I believe this is more of an exception than anything else, however. Others, like planetary/system production increase only take the highest value (or emissive armour for an example of a component ability). Different abilities always stack, even if they give a similar bonus (planetary/system production increase stack with each other).
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

1) You will need to make sure that the real destroy-planet components are available first, or at the same time. Otherwise the AI would see the destroy planet ability and try to use it on its ships. It will use the highest ability amount when it has the choice though.
The mines will probably blow these up just fine though.

2) Yes. Mine damage stacks just like regular weapons in combat. Weapons that do not stack include the "only X" damage types. Normal and X-skipping damage will stack.

3) Set the ship design obsolete. Click the "hide obsolete" button in the design screen.
Each year (10 turns) the game will check to see if there are any ships of obsolete design still in the game. They could be yours, or in enemy hands. If there are zero examples of that design left in the game and the design is marked obsolete, it will be deleted permanently.

4) Yes, for fighters explicitly added to a fleet. Launched units will not gain a bonus from their mothership as far as I know.

5) Possibly. You would have to mod in a tiny max-exp component and try it in the game.

6) It depends on what the ability type is. For those that use the second argument for stacking restrictions, like bonus movement, the second arg is what matters.
For others, like ECM and combat sensors, it is the family number that determines if it will stack or not.
Some, like shields always stack.
And some, such as emissive armor, never stack.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:49 PM

General

Alneyan is on a distinguished road

Oh, a clarification: I thought question 3 was about making the size of vessels disappear, not designs. If you meant designs, SJ is perfectly right.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM

Corporal

Frederick_d_Ohlmann is on a distinguished road

For the first : to be clear I want to do warhead "planet destroyer only" and all stellar with this ability.

And for the 3 it was *not* design. I have a mod with 48 size of ship and it's a pain to find the good one.

Anyway, thank for the quick replies.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

If you mean how to find them in the VehicleSize file, just usse the Search command - usually Ctrl+F. But I don;t think you're an idiot so I don't think you meant that. If you meant ingame, well, just click the scrollbar next to the designs to the approximate location of the ship. Then, simply scroll up/down a little until you find it. There is no Search command in the Designs window.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Frederick_d_Ohlmann said:
And for the 3 it was *not* design. I have a mod with 48 size of ship and it's a pain to find the good one.
Hull sizes do not get obsoleted.
You need to simplify your set of hulls, or perhaps have a clear ranking of them such that the best ones are at the top or bottom of the list, or are otherwise easy to find.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 04:43 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road

Drag the ones you use most closer to the top in VehicleSize. You will get "separated types" where low-tech freighters are positioned between Frigates and Destroyers whereas the biggest freighters are positioned between the Assault Super-Dreadnought and the Light Battleship, but it would work.

Also, you could try sorting the ship sizes according to size. That would mean that more advanced ships would be at the top of the list - assuming more advanced means bigger, it doesn't have to be, since Lvl 3 Frigate Construction could give you 500kT Heavy Assault Frigates and 250kT Hunter Frigates, but the Hunter has built-in ECM/CS.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

This is an interesting modding discussion, do any of you mind if I later on copy and paste your responses to the Mod Works over on SE.net?
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, you can't add a new damage type such as "only planet destroyers". You are stuck with the ones in the game.