The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road
Default Ghost ships and retreating MINES?

Yup. I just reviewed a combat replay (simultaneous game) where an enemy frigate attacked one of my planets which had mines in orbit and mines in cargo. The frigate obviously had hit the minefield since it was 0/0 shields, 0/90 armor, and 0/460 structure. Let's see: 0+0+0=0 where I come from, so that frigate should have been dead, but it actually moved ever so slightly during the replay. It moved ~1/2 square during the replay so it was a ghost ship. In the turn following the combat, the ship was gone entirely since I don't have ghost sensors.

Now during this combat with this ghost, my planet responded in kind and launched the mines it had in cargo. The mines were obviously scared of the ghost so they RETREATED off the map (just the ones launched during the combat, not the ones that were already in orbit). After combat they exist in a separate group in the same sector as the planet. Yes, they were normal, small mines containing just 1 standard mine warhead. No, they didn't have engines or anything wierd on them. No, I didn't change anything in the data files; it was BM1.11. They just retreated for no reason other than they were scared of the ghost ship.

Edit: The ghost ship thing actually happened on another planet also in the same turn for a total of 2 ghosts. I'm guessing that if a ship is reduced to near (exactly???) zero structure, it isn't destroyed until the turn is processed.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ghost ships and retreating MINES?

No, no, it's the "Ancient Mariner" event.
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:44 PM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Every time enemy scouts hit my mines I get a combat replay with the dead ship just floating there, usually coming through a wormhole. I've noticed, although not recently, that mines fly about the screen. Soemtimes going off screen then flying back again in an oval pattern.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road

Well, I, for one, would love to see combat replays of the enemy fleets being blown to smithereens by my warp point minefields. Sound effects, like desperate radio pleas for help, engines tearing themselves apart as they are fruitlessly thrown into full reverse, and explosive booms as the vast emptiness of space is briefly filled with atmosphere and protoplasm, would measureably add to my enjoyment.

I would NOT, however, be happy to see that my entire stock of mines had been launched to counter a ghost.